Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White grub in grass

Options
  • 28-06-2011 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I'm just in the process of extending the front garden flower beds. I found a large white grub under the turf, the first I've seen, and just wanted to know should I be worried about planting in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It could be a cockchafer grub or a leatherjacket (pupae of daddylonglegs), http://www.thenaturalgardener.co.uk/chafer_grub.php this is the most likely. There is also some (rather longwinded) info about treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Yup its a chafer grub alright thanks Looksee, they really ugly little buggers!

Nematodes it is than.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

looks like vine weevil to me.. these are a curse they will devour the roots of plants young tender roots like bedding plants.. If you don't mind using a systemic insecticide water with Provado before you sow anything. otherwise nematodes is your option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

No its a chafer as its has legs and is twice the size of vine weevil larve.

I don't use chemicels, is it best to wait till autumn to put dowm the nematodes.

Advertisement