Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of upgrading

Options
  • 28-06-2011 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,369 ✭✭✭✭

So im thinking of upgrading the computer. There's a few reason why im doing like I want a very quiet pc, optical output wanted, few more usb slots and namely a more powerful pc

im current specs are

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
    2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
    4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Rev X.0x
    Thermaltake V3 black edition
    super flower amazon 80plus 550w

So I presume Ill need to change the cpu, motherboard and case anything else?

Im only getting 25fps frame rate on crysis 2 dx11 version and I know crysis games take alot out of the computer but its a good bench mark for getting a more powerful pc imo

So any suggestions would be welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

well if your thinknig of upgrading the mobo and cpu you should go with a i5 2500k and a p67 mobo since the whole sandybridge issue has been resolved, and case wise you should have a look at a fractal define r3 as there hella quiet.
    only thing is you won't see much of a fps increase on crysis 2 tho beings thats mostly down to the gpu, but i'm still mind boggled on how your running such a low fps on such a high end card =S

• Registered Users Posts: 54,369 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

well if your thinknig of upgrading the mobo and cpu you should go with a i5 2500k and a p67 mobo since the whole sandybridge issue has been resolved, and case wise you should have a look at a fractal define r3 as there hella quiet.
    only thing is you won't see much of a fps increase on crysis 2 tho beings thats mostly down to the gpu, but i'm still mind boggled on how your running such a low fps on such a high end card =S

thanks for the reply mate

Could you provide a hardwareversand link of what I need to buy please :o
    Would I also need a new cpu cooler ?

regarding crysis 2 dx11 iv read that people with 8gb ram and 2 gtx 580 cards can get pretty higher frame rate :D. A beast of a game that sucks the life out of your computer :pac:

I have the Corsair A70

thanks for the links, really appreciate it. Ill have a look into them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

crysis 2 is not a demanding game. something is very wrong with your setup. maybe a driver issue. I'd concider reinstalling windows 7 and all the latest drivers from the internet and see if that helps. I can get higher fps with my GTX 460 and phenom quad core.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    crysis 2 is not a demanding game. something is very wrong with your setup. maybe a driver issue. I'd concider reinstalling windows 7 and all the latest drivers from the internet and see if that helps. I can get higher fps with my GTX 460 and phenom quad core.

Are you using dx11?

Headshot wrote: »
    Are you using dx11?
    good question. I'm fairly sure I was because I like to put everything on max settings just to kick my gpu in the ass. ill loan the game from a friend again and see what I get next week. either way, a gtx 570 should eat crysis 2 for breakfast. hell crysis 1 is more demanding than 2 (poorly optimized)

good question. I'm fairly sure I was because I like to put everything on max settings just to kick my gpu in the ass. ill loan the game from a friend again and see what I get next week. either way, a gtx 570 should eat crysis 2 for breakfast. hell crysis 1 is more demanding than 2 (poorly optimized)

You havent been

you have to download all that stuff :)

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/download-the-crysis-2-directx-11-ultra-upgrade

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yeah those numbers look about right for a 570 on ultra dx11 settings @ 1080p.

marco_polo wrote: »

:confused:

you mean the frame rate im getting, marco?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Headshot wrote: »

:confused:

you mean the frame rate im getting, marco?

Yeah I was looking at a few numbers yesterday and an average of under 30 looks about right.
    On phone now so can't link at the moment.

Yeah I was looking at a few numbers yesterday and an average of under 30 looks about right.
    On phone now so can't link at the moment.

oh no bother

ya it has to be one of the most demanding games ever tbh

The dx11 is just brings it to another level all together

edit

An point of going down the water cooler route ?

the a70 is a fairly high end cooler and it's compatible with both amd and intel so no need to change it

just commented on your advert there Headshot.

just commented on your advert there Headshot.

saw that and iv commented

DX would be proud of my shameless plugging :D

lads

This is getting built for me as we speak but I was told they may have to reinstall windows 7

could that be right ?

yea that's right, the os is currently installed to work with the other chipset and cpu so by changing them the os will just get confused and bsod unless you do a windows repair but your alot better off with the fresh install

yea that's right, the os is currently installed to work with the other chipset and cpu so by changing them the os will just get confused and bsod unless you do a windows repair but your alot better off with the fresh install

cheers man

iv a OEM software version of windows so would that do?

what ever copy of windows you had on it before should still be grand

• Advertisement
Advertisement