Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed calls from an odd number

Options
  • 28-06-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

I've no idea if this is the place to post this. We've had a couple of missed calls from an odd number - 0091890 - to our eircom landline. They haven't left a message and I don't want to call back in case it's a scam. Any ideas? It looks more like an area code than a full number, I've googled it and can't find any clues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I've no idea if this is the place to post this. We've had a couple of missed calls from an odd number - 0091890 - to our eircom landline. They haven't left a message and I don't want to call back in case it's a scam. Any ideas? It looks more like an area code than a full number, I've googled it and can't find any clues.

Hi Cat,

Thanks for post.

I've no real clues about this phone number that you're receiving calls from . It could be 'marketing' phone call or a scam phone number. It could even be an 'alias' phone number (or dummy number). On the otherhand it could be completly legitimate.

There is no way that eircom can block individual numbers.

If you have any worries you may wish to contact the authorities if it continues.

My colleague is looking into this further and will update this post if we have more information.

Thanks again fior posting and contact us any time.
    Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

That's a number from a random dialer. If you see the number so not pick up, it dials the same number a few times to try and see when the person is home. If you ajnswer, sales calls will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Just got one of these calls 2 minutes ago. When I Googled the number, I got this thread. I'll wait and see do I get a sales call soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Just got one of these calls 2 minutes ago. When I Googled the number, I got this thread. I'll wait and see do I get a sales call soon.

Hi Kevin Irving
    if you do receive sales calls after this please give our malicious calls bureau a call. I am not sure if anything can be done but normally if you do have the full number they can certainly investigate.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

My mother has been getting calls from this number also and she's freaked by it (she's 82). When she answers she says there's a few seconds pause and then a voice says 'goodbye'. She's not sure if its a real voice or a computer one. Couldn't find any information on the number on the net :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

My mother has been getting calls from this number also and she's freaked by it (she's 82). When she answers she says there's a few seconds pause and then a voice says 'goodbye'. She's not sure if its a real voice or a computer one. Couldn't find any information on the number on the net :(

Hi lilybarlean,

Thanks for posting. You can see by earlier posts that there appeardas to be issues from these 'dialler' numbers (as earlier mentions here).

The only thing that can be done is to make yourself and your family /friends aware of this type of call.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morebarn

Hi,

This is just a randomly generated phone call. We have been plagued with these calls to our Eircom landline also.Now, we just ignore them. It will be someone usually telling you that there is some fault in your home computer. The usual scam! If you are slow to pick up the receiver you just get the end of the call, and "Goodbye" Dont worry about it. I have seen that exact number too. And also some very long ones that resemble Spanish or French phone codes. As we have children living abroad,its reallly annoying, as at first we thought it was them calling from a coin box or something.

Would love to know where they get our information from, always call me by my proper name too, even more irritating. !

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

We've been getting them every day. We're getting better at ignoring the ones which have obviously fake numbers but...

It's a real headache.

Something needs to be done about it. If action can't be taken in Ireland then surely at least you can identify the phone network making these calls and take it up with them. They're probably coming from abroad but I can't accept that it can't be stopped.

It should not be possible to disturb people with random unsolicted calls. Surely there's some international facility for blocking repeat offenders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

trekkypj wrote: »
    We've been getting them every day. We're getting better at ignoring the ones which have obviously fake numbers but...

It's a real headache.

Something needs to be done about it. If action can't be taken in Ireland then surely at least you can identify the phone network making these calls and take it up with them. They're probably coming from abroad but I can't accept that it can't be stopped.

It should not be possible to disturb people with random unsolicted calls. Surely there's some international facility for blocking repeat offenders?

Hi trekkypj
    this is certainly becomming more and more of a nuisance, however we cannot really stop calls like, it would mean having knowledge of the business involved here and abroad, and these companies are profecient at keeping their intentions hidden. As you receive these very frequent I would suggest that you take a record of any info available to you, ie the number, time you received calls and contact our malicious calls bureau. This helps build a case and may aid in stopping this particular caller.
    I hope that this action helps in stopping this for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

Does anyone know what they say in the call? I got a call today but i couldnt hear them properly, just heard warning on computer on something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,324 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sorry slight hijack but im getting these bloody nonsense calls from 0041 with an operator on the other side

twice in a day now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Caroline K

Headshot wrote: »
    sorry slight hijack but im getting these bloody nonsense calls from 0041 with an operator on the other side

twice in a day now :mad:

Funny you mention that, cos my Mum is getting them from I think the very same number. Again, like the rest above, something about your computer but difficult to hear. She now recognises the number and ignores the call but it's a total nuisance.

My Aunt is here on holidays from the UK and she's been getting calls to her mobile from a number in the Czech Republic (+42...) She's aready gotten a few while she's been here the last two weeks. She's never answered it but they keep calling and never leave a voicemail .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

morebarn wrote: »
    If you are slow to pick up the receiver you just get the end of the call, and "Goodbye"

I've gotten a few of these over the past week. I'm on the verge of ignoring all "WITHHELD" numbers.

Is there not any way to set up an eircom line so that it simply doesn't accept calls from withheld numbers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I've gotten a few of these over the past week. I'm on the verge of ignoring all "WITHHELD" numbers.

Is there not any way to set up an eircom line so that it simply doesn't accept calls from withheld numbers ?

Hi Liam Byrne

I am afraid there is not a service available to block incoming numbers.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hi Liam Byrne

I am afraid there is not a service available to block incoming numbers.

Thanks, Mark

Might I suggest that eircom look into providing that option ?

It would be a good marketing opportunity.

I've just gotten another WITHHELD nuisance call and while it's not a massive issue it is a severe nuisance.

If eircom could provide a service whereby nuisance calls were blocked it would be useful and a reason for people to switch to eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Might I suggest that eircom look into providing that option ?

It would be a good marketing opportunity.

I've just gotten another WITHHELD nuisance call and while it's not a massive issue it is a severe nuisance.

If eircom could provide a service whereby nuisance calls were blocked it would be useful and a reason for people to switch to eircom.

Hi Liam,

I will definatly pass on your suggestion to services, if they get back to me with any developments. I will let you know.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Some interesting threads around on automatic call rejection of anonymous callers. There is an EU mandate but ComReg has interpreted it rather weakly (you might say) however it seems in the UK that BT have the option for automatic anonymous call rejection. If you are not happy with the responses to these nuisance calls then do some googling and make your views clear to ComReg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stephens27

i too have been recieving calls from this number,it's really annoying,and obviously a scam,so why this continues to be allowed is beyond me,there was a programme on recently about these type of scammers and they seem to know every detail about us which is incredible and totally unacceptable,i hope this issue can be sorted out asap but i wont be holding my breath!

Advertisement