Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Agricultural Land

• 28-06-2011 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

I'd like to buy 1-2 acres of land and develop a small buissness growing fruit & veg for market. Can anyone tell me the best way of going about buying land of this size? who should i contact regarding land sales.
    thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I'd like to buy 1-2 acres of land and develop a small buissness growing fruit & veg for market. Can anyone tell me the best way of going about buying land of this size? who should i contact regarding land sales.
    thank you.

If you are only 71kg, tis red meat you should be eating;)
    Buy a few more acres, and rear a few blues:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

i dont eat red meat!! lol. :) love a leg of chicken on white bread (no butter tho!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

thank you.

you are going to waste your time and money ..........you should leave work that to the professionals :D and buy your fruit and veg in tesco or farmer markets it will be cheaper in the long run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Being serious, if you have a bit of ground of your own, there is nothing like your own fruit and veg. Tesco stuff is muck by comparison. Keeps looking good by stuff sprayed on. Most of the stuff in farmers markets priced outside reach of ordinary working folks with families to rear. Most stalls there are pretentious nonsense.
    But buying land to produce your own, from financial point of view makes no sense. Then again, money invested in land is probably a lot safer than cash in the busted wasted criminal banks.
    At least when you wake up in the morning the land will be there. No guarantee about the auld deposit account.
    Of course some hoor could swipe the odd head of cabbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

polod wrote: »
    you are going to waste your time and money ..........you should leave work that to the professionals :D and buy your fruit and veg in tesco or farmer markets it will be cheaper in the long run :)

Is this a joke:confused:

• Advertisement

thank you.

Renting initially might be the way to go here - build up the business and your experince before taking the big plunge:)

renting might be the way to go..i thought land value might be cheap enough at this moment in time..and sure once you have the land you're gona put the effort in..i would really be experimenting at first. i grow my own veg and there's no comparison with shop bought produce. i would like to try grow on a large scale and just sell straight from the plot..avoiding the pretentious nonsense as was mentioned above.

So how do i go about renting land?

renting might be the way to go..i thought land value might be cheap enough at this moment in time..and sure once you have the land you're gona put the effort in..i would really be experimenting at first. i grow my own veg and there's no comparison with shop bought produce. i would like to try grow on a large scale and just sell straight from the plot..avoiding the pretentious nonsense as was mentioned above.

So how do i go about renting land?

Many farmers are renting out allotments near towns villages. Around Blessington/Naas many farmers advertize this on large bill-boards. You can also look up local press/web sites like donedeal etc.

im looking for at least an acre..the idea is to purchase a nice polytunnell for tomato's & cucumbers..have 4 nice plots for basic veg..Cabbage Cauliflower Broccolli,Onions & Shallots,spring onion,Carrots & Beetroot and Garden Peas & Lettuce. and sell..no fuss no flash packaging..just sell the veg as it is..i wouldn't be money motivated..if it pays for itself id be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

• Advertisement

thats exactly what im looking for. anyone got a lend of 74K until the recession is over!! to be honest my budget is fairly limited. €20K max. im hopeing to get an acre or 2 of workable land and thats it! if i had the money a site like that with mushroom huts already built i'd buy it straight away.

thanks for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

Where exactly are you based?

George

based in Citywest..Dublin 24'ish. So 1-2 acre's anywhere around /Sth Dublin/Nass/kildare would be good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Being serious, if you have a bit of ground of your own, there is nothing like your own fruit and veg. Tesco stuff is muck by comparison. Keeps looking good by stuff sprayed on. Most of the stuff in farmers markets priced outside reach of ordinary working folks with families to rear. Most stalls there are pretentious nonsense.
    But buying land to produce your own, from financial point of view makes no sense. Then again, money invested in land is probably a lot safer than cash in the busted wasted criminal banks.
    At least when you wake up in the morning the land will be there. No guarantee about the auld deposit account.
    Of course some hoor could swipe the odd head of cabbage.

Thanks you just insulted most of North Co Dublin, nonsense! Imagine the reaction I would get if I utter similar about meat or dairy.

im looking for at least an acre..the idea is to purchase a nice polytunnell for tomato's & cucumbers..have 4 nice plots for basic veg..Cabbage Cauliflower Broccolli,Onions & Shallots,spring onion,Carrots & Beetroot and Garden Peas & Lettuce. and sell..no fuss no flash packaging..just sell the veg as it is..i wouldn't be money motivated..if it pays for itself id be delighted.

Organic?

yes organic.

yes organic.

2 years before you can market the produce as organic unless you are renting an already organic site.

really? well you have to start somewhere. im sure neighbours,family and friends will be happy to buy the stuff until it's certified..it doesn't have to go to market. it will be grown organically anyway..that's what important.

really? well you have to start somewhere. im sure neighbours,family and friends will be happy to buy the stuff until it's certified..it doesn't have to go to market. it will be grown organically anyway..that's what important.

You can market it as conversion to organic produce. The soil still contains pesticides and artificial fertliser from conventional farming so that's why you have the two year conversion period before you can market it as organic.

cheers corsendonk..i'll have to do some more research! it's a bit of a pipe dream at the moment..but if i can find the right land to lease or buy. i would definitely give it a go.

• Advertisement

cheers corsendonk..i'll have to do some more research! it's a bit of a pipe dream at the moment..but if i can find the right land to lease or buy. i would definitely give it a go.

Best to do some reading first, google IOFGA, Soil Association etc. The Dept of Agric also have an organic section that might be of help to you too. Then you can do your costings after that. All the best.

P.S your going to need a good source of organic Farm Yard manure too Tomatoes and cucumbers are very hungry plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nowherefar

You might also like to support the smallholders forum request..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72941776

nowherefar wrote: »
    You might also like to support the smallholders forum request..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72941776

done.

Advertisement