Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Tattoos

Options
  • 28-06-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for some advise.

This will be my first tattoo, being doing alot of thinking about it.

I want to get my dad's name or just 'dad' somewhere on my body. He died tragically when i was little.

Obviously this tatt will be meaningful but i cant seem to pick the right place to put it. I dont want it to look out of place or rough if you get me??

Any one any suggestions of where would be a nice place??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Heart.

But ultimately it's completely up to you.

Also, if I can add a little suggestion. Why just the word "Dad" could you put something more personal? Like a portrait or an image to remind you of him. I find that getting just the word you'll regret it later. But again that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

i got something that means a lot me to tattooed on my shin-foot. Basically my idea behind it was that any time my head bows or gets low i would see this tattoo. i love it. lot of people dont "get" it though.

an alternative idea to "dad" might be to get his signature if you can find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Seamo87

Well 1st off, your doing the exact right thing, by taking your time with this. If it's another 2 years before you get this, then so be it, once it's the right tattoo and in the right place as you've said.

What about:
    -something that reminds you of him, car(if he was n2 cars), sports, a location etc...
    -a date, eg. birth date, date of death.

Whatever you get, I think it should be a small tattoo rather then a big one, suttle is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

Seamo87 wrote: »
    Well 1st off, your doing the exact right thing, by taking your time with this. If it's another 2 years before you get this, then so be it, once it's the right tattoo and in the right place as you've said.

What about:
    -something that reminds you of him, car(if he was n2 cars), sports, a location etc...
    -a date, eg. birth date, date of death.

Whatever you get, I think it should be a small tattoo rather then a big one, suttle is the way to go.

Thanks Seamo87,

Im not mad into tattoos so i dont want a big huge thing as suggested by the first poster. Im looking for something more suttle and nice.

I really like the signature idea but the thing is my dad committed suicide in 1992 i was only 2, so i actually have nothing of him, i have only one photo and thats it!and that picture is the gold to me! As for pictures in general there not there, no signatures nothing!!

Its a hard decision and i dont want to rush into it, i just dont know what to get or where to put it that would be nice because quiet frankly i dont know anything about the man which is so so hard and sad..

Ta for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Along the lines of what chin_grin suggested but in the picture you have, is there anything that would remind you of your dad without going as far as getting a portrait?

For instance is he wearing a watch or is he holding something in his hands?

• Advertisement

hi elbow,

thansk so much for the reply, as said in previous comment - he died when i was only 2 so i cant remember anything from then (obviously) and nothing reminds me of him because my family seem to cover it all up and wont talk about it so nothing really reminds me of him if that makes sense?? (sorry now)

The only photo that i have of him is him sitting in a chair which me in his arms - maybe i was 6months old ish???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

kingelmo wrote: »
    hi elbow,

thansk so much for the reply, as said in previous comment - he died when i was only 2 so i cant remember anything from then (obviously) and nothing reminds me of him because my family seem to cover it all up and wont talk about it so nothing really reminds me of him if that makes sense?? (sorry now)

The only photo that i have of him is him sitting in a chair which me in his arms - maybe i was 6months old ish???

Personally I think U'd regret just getting "Dad" or a date OP

I saw a tattoo ages ago of arms in a cradling position, something like that might give ya inspiration considering the photo is of your dad cradling you.

I'll try to find that picture tonight

thanks hun

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I know when my cousins dad committed suicide she got his initials tattooed on her ankle...its done in quiet a decorative script so it s not very clear to an outsider what it says but she loves it because any time she sees it it reminds her of him while keeping it private and special

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

How about getting a short quote along with the word "Dad?" Something like "Never forgotten" - even try translating it into different languages and see do you like one of the translations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement