Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Early childhood care & education

• 28-06-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi im a 22 year old male starting college in sept..jsut wondering has anyone Anybody got any info on this course???? ( can you do your placement in a school)?? thinking of doing it as its only 3 years..want to be a primary teacher after it ( with a postgrad)..but also to have the options if work in teaching is scarce...any info at all greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

anyone??could really use some advice here :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Diana21x

pecker1992 wrote: »
    Hi im a 22 year old male starting college in sept..jsut wondering has anyone Anybody got any info on this course???? ( can you do your placement in a school)?? thinking of doing it as its only 3 years..want to be a primary teacher after it ( with a postgrad)..but also to have the options if work in teaching is scarce...any info at all greatly appreciated :)

hey wish i could help, I hopefully going to be starting the course aswell in sept, i have a friend who did the course and shes in Abroad at the moment, but ill try to get in contact with her and fill you in! :):pac:

Diana21x wrote: »
    hey wish i could help, I hopefully going to be starting the course aswell in sept, i have a friend who did the course and shes in Abroad at the moment, but ill try to get in contact with her and fill you in! :):pac:

thanks a million :).....ive heard a bit about it though...seems you can do prety much everything after it which is great :)..beats arts hands down :D

thanks a million :).....ive heard a bit about it though...seems you can do prety much everything after it which is great :)..beats arts hands down :D

ha ha totally! dont know f ill go for primary teaching or Occupation Therapy:) It brill havng a few options though :) get bck to ya real soon! :):cool:

Hi my friend said you can do your placement in an educational or medical setting as long as its related to the course! Im also hoping to do primary teaching so i will be hoping to go for a primary school for placement. My friend is doing occupational therapy. Hope i've helped some bit!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hiya, I'm just going in to third year of the course. It's a great course, delighted I went back to do it.

You can do your placement pretty much anywhere, from a creche to a pre-school, to a primary school or a special needs school. I don't think you can do it in a medical setting, I remember hearing that during the year, think it's because there's so many med students & nursing students already.

I did my work placement in a special needs primary school in 2nd year, and in September I'm going to a primary school. Can't wait. You're right as well, you can pretty much do anything from the course, you can go on and do masters in different things such as Occupational Therapy or Speech & Language therapy, or there's always the Primary Teaching afterwards as well.

They've changed the course a bit last year so I think you'll be doing psychology, education and sociology. Apparently from last September the first years are not doing paediatrics/child health anymore, which is a bit of a disgrace really because if you're working with young kids, you need to have a good idea of what different childhood diseases there are. It's the only negative thing that I would say about it.

Anyway, the best of luck, hopefully ye'll get the course!

Diana21x wrote: »
    Hi my friend said you can do your placement in an educational or medical setting as long as its related to the course! Im also hoping to do primary teaching so i will be hoping to go for a primary school for placement. My friend is doing occupational therapy. Hope i've helped some bit!!

thats great :)...looks like its primary all around then...pity ive to do irish again but oh well :P..thanks for the advice your a star :D
    mariebeth wrote: »
    Hiya, I'm just going in to third year of the course. It's a great course, delighted I went back to do it.

You can do your placement pretty much anywhere, from a creche to a pre-school, to a primary school or a special needs school. I don't think you can do it in a medical setting, I remember hearing that during the year, think it's because there's so many med students & nursing students already.

I did my work placement in a special needs primary school in 2nd year, and in September I'm going to a primary school. Can't wait. You're right as well, you can pretty much do anything from the course, you can go on and do masters in different things such as Occupational Therapy or Speech & Language therapy, or there's always the Primary Teaching afterwards as well.

They've changed the course a bit last year so I think you'll be doing psychology, education and sociology. Apparently from last September the first years are not doing paediatrics/child health anymore, which is a bit of a disgrace really because if you're working with young kids, you need to have a good idea of what different childhood diseases there are. It's the only negative thing that I would say about it.

Anyway, the best of luck, hopefully ye'll get the course!

thanks a million a lot of helpful information there.....someone said to me that your pretty much out for a full year more or less on placement :)..is that true??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

thanks a million a lot of helpful information there.....someone said to me that your pretty much out for a full year more or less on placement :)..is that true??:)

Hiya, ya that's pretty much true. In second year we were in college from September to December, with our exams the first two weeks of January (made for a crap Christmas, made even worse with the snow & ice!). We were on placement then from the end of January to first week of April or so, depending on whether you missed any days. We had 3 days of 'reconnection' in college during those time (they're mandatory, but boring as hell!). It's not an easy ride though, because we had a work placement diary to keep as well as a portfolio to write up for the placement, plus an ongoing research project to complete & make a presentation of towards the end of May.

Going in to third year now, and I'll be on placement from September to the first week or so of December, with more assignments to do while on placement. Then back to college at the start of January for another 12 weeks and final exams to look forward to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Liona

Hi I am starting the early years and childhood studies this year.
    can somebody tell me how many hours i ll have to expect to be in class and how many i will need to spend on homework?

Is class usually in the mornings 5 days a week or do I go for like 2 days from 8am to 8 pm?

I am from germany and have no clue how it works at ucc but i am trying to apply to a job and need to know what times i ll be able to work and how many hours.

I know you cant tell me my exact timetable but maybe how it used to be the past years. thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

This is the first year timetable (weeks 5-16 are 19/09/11 to 09/12/11 and 20-31 are 03/01/12-23/03/12)

http://timetable.ucc.ie:8011/reporting/individual?objectclass=programme+of+study&idtype=id&identifier=BAEYC1%0D%0A&t=programme+of+study+individual&days=1-7&weeks=5-16;20-31&periods=1-20&template=programme+of+study+individual

Don't forget if you want to do primary school teaching after this you still an honours in leaving cert Irish. Info on Hibernia;

Thank you for your interest in Hibernia College's H.Dip. in Arts in Primary Education (HDAPE). This course is for graduates who wish to study to be primary school teachers. It is academically accredited by HETAC and professionally accredited by the Teaching Council. Full details about the course (fees, tax relief, entry requirements, provisional calendar, etc.) are available at www.hiberniacollege.com/hdape however there are a few points you should note:

1) The deadline for applications for the September 2011 cohort is September 9th, 2011.

2) Entry requirements include an Honour in Leaving Certificate Irish and a primary (bachelors) degree at Level 8 of the National Framework of Qualifications.

3) All applicants meeting the minimum entry requirements are call for interview. The interview is in both English and Irish.

4) Approximately 45% of the course is delivered online through downloadable lectures and live online tutorials in a virtual classroom.

5) Approximately 55% of the course is delivered onsite including 3 weeks in the Gaeltacht, 4 weeks of school experience (eg observation) and 14 weeks of classroom teaching practice.

6) The course application form can be downloaded here.
    Should you have any specific queries please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
    Emma.

Emma Corrigan
    Admissions Office

Hibernia College
    2 Clare Street
    Dublin 2

Phone: 01 6610168
    Web: www.hiberniacollege.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 thinking out loud

Hi all, i was just a bit disheartened recently having completed a 4 years honors degree course in ECCE achieving a 2.1 and yet again failing my third attempt at an interview for the education postgraduate course. I have completed the gaelchultúr course that was recommended by hibernia and yet this has lead to the same outcome. I have tried applying to the original college that i studied in but also did not achieve a high enough mark in my Irish. I was just wondering does anyone else find themselves in the same situation and would they know of any other areas to branch into... I was wondering how difficult it is to get into occupational therapy and I have always had an interest in working with fás has anyone else any ideas of how to do this? I would really appreciate any suggestion and best of luck to all the ECCE graduates

Advertisement