Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarecastle - Opinions

• 28-06-2011 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi all in Clare

Im thinking of moving to Clarecastle with my girlfriend.
    We're both working in Shannon, can anyone tell me what the area is like?
    I have been out there and it looks grand and is close to Ennis too.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

INEEDANID wrote: »
    Hi all in Clare

Im thinking of moving to Clarecastle with my girlfriend.
    We're both working in Shannon, can anyone tell me what the area is like?
    I have been out there and it looks grand and is close to Ennis too.

I can assure you that all Clarecastle has going for it is its proximity to Ennis. At least it is easy to get out of there with the frequent bus services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Clareboy wrote: »
    I can assure you that all Clarecastle has going for it is its proximity to Ennis. At least it is easy to get out of there with the frequent bus services.

Haha:)
    But theres no real reason to be avoiding the place other than theres not much there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm not from Clarecastle nor do I have any ties to the place, but the 1 thing that always strikes me about the place is the sense of community around the place, they all take pride in being a "Magpie", most people from outside the place don't see this and dislike the place/people :)

As my younger namesake mentioned, Clarecastle is very close to Ennis and has a good bus schedule, there's also a few shops, a chipper, a bingo hall and it is close to the by-pass.

I used to live in Clarecastle and I can assure you that there is not the slightest modicum of community spirit or civic pride to be found there - just look at the state of the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

The OH would entirely agree with you Clareboy. Not from Clare myself but the OH mentioned things to me about C'castle that I just would not put in print.

• Advertisement

The OH would entirely agree with you Clareboy. Not from Clare myself but the OH mentioned things to me about C'castle that I just would not put in print.

By the way poppyvalley, who is the OH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I lived there for a year. It's not a bad place, no dodgey areas if that is what you are asking. It is very quite and like it was said above, no real sense of community, but sure, some people like that.

There is a shop in walking distance and a couple of pubs. You can walk to Ennis in about 30 minutes if you are so inclined (I did because I had no car), or it is about €9 via taxi (or at least it was at the time I was living there).

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
    Its just really going to be a place to live thats handy for work and not too far from Ennis.
    I like the idea of it being quiet it will make a change from Limerick anyway!
    I have a car so getting to Ennis or work wont be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

By the way poppyvalley, who is the OH?

"Other half" isint that what they're called on boards?, meaning me oul fella or oul wan

Thanks poppyvalley for the info, I did not know what OH stood for. You learn something new every day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

Why not live in shannon,close to work limerick and ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

If it was me, I'd probably live in Quin, it is a beautiful village, nice community spirit, and is close to Ennis and Shannon.

I've nothing against Clarecastle but the village is dead. As for the community spirit, I reckon there must be some in the place as they built a fantastic Day Care Centre there for the elderly. There is also a good primary school there. I suspect none of the above applies to you yet :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

How about Newmarket on Fergus or Sixmilebridge, both nice villages with all the amenities and in closer proximity to your work.
    I'd take either of these to living in Clarecastle or Shannon.
    Quin is very similar but the roads leading in and out of the village are dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Quin is nice.
    Some lovely affordable houses there , actually if you want one let me know as I am selling one!

Thanks for all the advice. We may be moving to Sixmilebridge now i think as the house in Clarecastle is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Put them in print so.I used to live there and its a grand spot.Never any trouble and a great Gaa setup.The OH might be on the ol magic mushrooms??:pac:Or did the big bad boys from Clarecastle beat him in a game of hurling??Statements like yours are mad.Just mad really.

celliman wrote: »
    Shannon?? Before Clarecastle??? JEEBUS.Am I missing something.Shannon doesnt even have a street

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm not from Clarecastle nor do I have any ties to the place, but the 1 thing that always strikes me about the place is the sense of community around the place, they all take pride in being a "Magpie", most people from outside the place don't see this and dislike the place/people :)

Very evident in this thread alright.The dislike of the Magpies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lets keep this thread civil, if you have a problem with a post, report it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you want some sleep and your used of air planes passing by, sure go for it!
    Anyhow, Sixmilebridge is nice, there is a train station there and you can get in and out easily.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Lets keep this thread civil, if you have a problem with a post, report it.
    Id never report anyone TBH.But some of the oul rubbish you read sometimes would raise your blood pressure-"My OH said this, myOH said that"-FFS.

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    If you want some sleep and your used of air planes passing by, sure go for it!
    Anyhow, Sixmilebridge is nice, there is a train station there and you can get in and out easily.
    The Bridge is fine.But rule out Newmarket or Shannon(Clarecastle is Nirvana compared to those 2 spots.IMO of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

quin is gorgeous. i would not move to sixmilebridge. nice village, with nice people but unfortunately it can be rough, i worked with a few people who live there and they are trying to get out of it (they said its to do with the limerick regeneration???same for shannon.)
    that said im sure its fine (just try suss out your neighbours).

quin is gorgeous. i would not move to sixmilebridge. nice village, with nice people but unfortunately it can be rough, i worked with a few people who live there and they are trying to get out of it (they said its to do with the limerick regeneration???same for shannon.)
    that said im sure its fine (just try suss out your neighbours).
    Quin is completely overrated IMO.I think theres probably only one family from that regeneration rubbish living in the Bridge(might be wrong).I wouldnt class the Bridge as being "rough" in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

If you were to give me a street for shannon that tumbleweed of a street in clarecastle would be at the bottom of the list.get the bulldozers in and level it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

parkhead, thats fair enough, actually rough would be really overstating.. also its from some people i work with who are blow ins (their neighbours rob stuff out of their garden and that kind of thing).. people i know who are from there do seem to love it.. went out there last year,caseys is a lovely pub and v friendly.. good luck with move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

If you were to give me a street for shannon that tumbleweed of a street in clarecastle would be at the bottom of the list.get the bulldozers in and level it.

WTF is wrong with Clarecastle I live here and always did all my life.look at the state of art gaa club and school that was built.u won't see anything close to what we have for miles so think about what Ur saying first b4 u make a stupid statement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

@Alan, please make an effort not to use text-speak when posting here.

@everyone,
    Stop trying to wind each other up. Inflammatory posts about different villages aren't necessary.

Yes bud, but shannon doesnt have a street for tumbleweed to blow down.:D.It has an airport and factories.And the Knights.Woo hoo.

• Advertisement

From lonely planet:
    "About 3km from the airport, Shannon town, built to serve airport workers, has the feel of one of those old planned Soviet industrial cities – albeit with more reliable hot water. Don’t linger."

So true.:D

Advertisement