Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rightyabe's Guide to a DIY Working Holiday Visa.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,239 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi guys, maybe this is a stupid question but if you book your flights on skyscanner or kayak etc, can you check your luggage all the way from Shannon or Dublin to Oz ie not having to pick them up at Heathrow or the stopover.
    Also, for stopovers in Sydney or Singapore/Hong Kong etc how long would ya need?

If its one booking, ie one ticket. It goes through all the way.
    As for how long you need, it depends on the airport. I think controls are in place so that there are min times that you can't book under, either 60 or 90 minutes depending on airport. The min time is enough to make a flight transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

ecoeco wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I'm planing on going to Australia in the Summer, but am going to spend a month and a bit traveling SE Asia first.
    My initial plan is to fly to Bangkok, spend some time there, then do Cambodia and Vietnam, and get a flight from Hanoi to maybe Perth as its quite cheap

Anyone gone that route, doing Asia first?

Have a degree in IT with limited experience over 6 years but think I'd rather work on a farm in the open than in an office, I'm sick of those :D
    A buddy of mine said he was out digging holes on a farm for 8 hours a day with a group of guys, earning $20 an hour and loved it, that sounds like bliss

I am!! Arriving in bangkok at the very start of july, hoping to do Cambodia too! Then off to oz! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

rightyabe top man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I am!! Arriving in bangkok at the very start of july, hoping to do Cambodia too! Then off to oz! :D

For you guys planning on a month (or thereabouts) stopover on the way to Oz, what kind of funds do you recommend for that?

Oz - does anyone know what is a rough guide for living costs per month? I know the Canadian govt. say about you need 2,500 CAD for your first 3 months, it's hard to say what 'start-up' costs they've included but that's about $833 or about €622 per month. Anyone know what the Oz govt. figures are?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

I'm finding it hard to get info on my particular situation. I got a WHV when I was 19 and spent a year in sydney before returning home. The rule at the time was that I could get another WHV but not until i was 28, and not after i was 30 at the time of application. This has now changed, you need to have completed your 3 months regional work to get a 2nd WHV. I did'nt do the regional work as it was not required at the time. I want to get another WHV and travel in Dec 13, I will be 31 in Jan 14. Has anyone else been in this situation? Do the old rules apply to people who got their 1st visa before the rule change?

I have emailed the immi.gov site twice now and no response, I'm pretty confident I could get sponsored but I would rather get a WHV just in case.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

For you guys planning on a month (or thereabouts) stopover on the way to Oz, what kind of funds do you recommend for that?

Oz - does anyone know what is a rough guide for living costs per month? I know the Canadian govt. say about you need 2,500 CAD for your first 3 months, it's hard to say what 'start-up' costs they've included but that's about $833 or about €622 per month. Anyone know what the Oz govt. figures are?

This is quite handy, while not exactly accurate its the best guildline I could find!

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Ireland&city1=Dublin&country2=Australia&city2=Sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

murdog! wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to get info on my particular situation. I got a WHV when I was 19 and spent a year in sydney before returning home. The rule at the time was that I could get another WHV but not until i was 28, and not after i was 30 at the time of application. This has now changed, you need to have completed your 3 months regional work to get a 2nd WHV. I did'nt do the regional work as it was not required at the time. I want to get another WHV and travel in Dec 13, I will be 31 in Jan 14. Has anyone else been in this situation? Do the old rules apply to people who got their 1st visa before the rule change?

I have emailed the immi.gov site twice now and no response, I'm pretty confident I could get sponsored but I would rather get a WHV just in case.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

You only get one WHV unless you do 3 months regional work ....end of.

No such rule as wait until 28 rule, but thanks for the laugh.

If you read this gives you all the information you ever need on eligibility for WHV

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility.htm

There are no other down the pub special rules.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You only get one WHV unless you do 3 months regional work ....end of.

No such rule as wait until 28 rule, but thanks for the laugh.

If you read this gives you all the information you ever need on eligibility for WHV

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility.htm

There are no other down the pub special rules.

Thats brilliant mandrake thanks for the stellar contribution. Obviously I misunderstood the Australian immigration officer when they told me about my options to return before I left 10 years ago.

murdog! wrote: »
    Thats brilliant mandrake thanks for the stellar contribution. Obviously I misunderstood the Australian immigration officer when they told me about my options to return before I left 10 years ago.

No worries mate!! I'm glad I was able to help clear up your misunderstanding wouldn't want you to be confused by duff information would we?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Obafemi Martins

Do you need to have the 5000 aus dollars in your possession as you travel or can you bring bank statements to prove it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Do you need to have the 5000 aus dollars in your possession as you travel or can you bring bank statements to prove it?

No, but you need to be able to show proof of access to it if asked. Also coming over to Australia with under $5000 and no job or a place to stay would be "WHV Suicide":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ecoeco

Flights to Thailand booked for June 21st, will spend around 6 weeks going between there and Laos to extend the Thai visa, probably landing in Australia around the start of August.

Not sure whether to use Visafirst, or do the diy visa as instructed by Rightyabe.

I would like to try do the 3 months regional work as soon as I land in Australia, so would prefer to keep my options open as to what city to fly into, VF seem to want to know your exact landing date and city as they put you up in a hostel for the first 2 nights and they "help you to get a job"? :rolleyes:

A guy I was working with last week warned me off Perth as he said it was saturated with Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Flights to Thailand booked for June 21st, will spend around 6 weeks going between there and Laos to extend the Thai visa, probably landing in Australia around the start of August.

Not sure whether to use Visafirst, or do the diy visa as instructed by Rightyabe.

I would like to try do the 3 months regional work as soon as I land in Australia, so would prefer to keep my options open as to what city to fly into, VF seem to want to know your exact landing date and city as they put you up in a hostel for the first 2 nights and they "help you to get a job"? :rolleyes:

A guy I was working with last week warned me off Perth as he said it was saturated with Irish people?

I'm doing the exact same as you, but flying on the 16th June, flying to syd at the beginning of august :)

Did the visa myself, it only takes a few minutes, would be madness to pay someone to do it.

Got my flights from usit, they were a nice bit cheaper than the multi trip websites i had tried

I have similar plans too re: the regional work

Did you apply for a double entry visa for thailand?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ecoeco

Cheensbo wrote: »
    I'm doing the exact same as you, but flying on the 16th June, flying to syd at the beginning of august :)

Did the visa myself, it only takes a few minutes, would be madness to pay someone to do it.

Got my flights from usit, they were a nice bit cheaper than the multi trip websites i had tried

I have similar plans too re: the regional work

Did you apply for a double entry visa for thailand?

Just got my visa there, I finished the application, closed out, logged back in to check the progress, and it was approved automatically already?!

Our plan is to fly into Bangkok, spend a week, travel north to Cheng Mai to see the temples and tigers etc, then get a train into Laos to spend a few days(no visa required), then fly back down to Phuket, which gives you another 30 days visa in Thailand.

From Phuket we'll get a boat over to Ko Phanghan for the full moon party last week of July, and either fly from Bangkok or Phuket to Perth/Sydney

Our flight is Cork-Amsterdam-Bangkok it was 362 each

Found this site explains the Thai visas pretty well, look for the 1st Freq Asked Question, just after the 2 passport photos:
    http://myalternativelife.net/thailand-visa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Just got my visa there, I finished the application, closed out, logged back in to check the progress, and it was approved automatically already?!

Our plan is to fly into Bangkok, spend a week, travel north to Cheng Mai to see the temples and tigers etc, then get a train into Laos to spend a few days(no visa required), then fly back down to Phuket, which gives you another 30 days visa in Thailand.

From Phuket we'll get a boat over to Ko Phanghan for the full moon party last week of July, and either fly from Bangkok or Phuket to Perth/Sydney

Our flight is Cork-Amsterdam-Bangkok it was 362 each

Found this site explains the Thai visas pretty well, look for the 1st Freq Asked Question, just after the 2 passport photos:
    http://myalternativelife.net/thailand-visa

Thats you so, youll get another email with further detail on it soon (i got mine the next morning, but it was a weekday)

Nice thinking, ive no plan really at all myself tbh, going it alone so happy to wing it as much as i can, but will be heading to chiang mai in the first few days and take it from there.

No idea what ill do then or which other country(ies) to go to, whichever seems the best at the time is guess.

My flights are dublin- bkk (via dubai) - sydney - dublin, for a shade over 1100, seeing as syd-dub is about a grand i said i might as well get the return leg and extend it when applicable.

Thanks for that link, i phoned the thai consulate and they told me i needed one, but according to your link i dont.. :confused::o Id have more faith in your link than the consulate themselves tbh, they didnt seem to interested in helping at all. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

Thanks for all the info, great help and great savings.

Just an update on setting up a bank account with NAB, the op said it takes two days, my email says four days but its been a week, as in 5 working days (+weekend). I probably shouldnt count the weekend but 5 working days, maybe im worrying too much. I do have another 3 and a half weeks before I go. But its not something to do the week before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Thanks for all the info, great help and great savings.

Just an update on setting up a bank account with NAB, the op said it takes two days, my email says four days but its been a week, as in 5 working days (+weekend). I probably shouldnt count the weekend but 5 working days, maybe im worrying too much. I do have another 3 and a half weeks before I go. But its not something to do the week before you go.

No need to set one up before you come really. You can do it when you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 keiraann

Very helpful postS!! But what about a tax number?? When i apply for the working holiday visa does that get included??... I am going to go through www.immi.gov.au I booked my ticket for june 17th can i make my one year visa start from then even if i apply now?? Exciting times.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

keiraann wrote: »
    Very helpful postS!! But what about a tax number?? When i apply for the working holiday visa does that get included??... I am going to go through www.immi.gov.au I booked my ticket for june 17th can i make my one year visa start from then even if i apply now?? Exciting times.....

I don't know about the tax number as I don't have one yet, but your visa only starts when you get to Australia, I applied on the 14th January 2013 and got to Australia on the 9th of January this year with no problems, you only have a year to enter so don't leave it to long or you have to re-apply!

i just applied for my visa there on http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas and it was charging me 276.00 Euro for my visa can that be right have the visa prices gone up?? this was a holiday one year visa.

• Advertisement

keiraann wrote: »
    i just applied for my visa there on http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas and it was charging me 276.00 Euro for my visa can that be right have the visa prices gone up?? this was a holiday one year visa.

Price goes up every year, and factor in the exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Just apply for a tax number when you get there. Make sure you tick "resident for tax purposes" as this generally applies for people that earn money in Australia while living in Australia.

Thanks guys you have all been so helpful!! :) Just paid for my visa worked out at 275.00 has gone up a lot... My plans are to travel first then work for the last few months... First stop Sydney!! anything you would recommend i do or see while in Sydney or just Australia for that matter....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

Im going on my own in a few months, just filling out the visa next week, would you recomend going to a certain city first? just so i can meet people and not be on my own, wheres the easiest place to get work, i dont have a traid, but have good work expierence with landscaping carpentry and office work. Would i be better off doing the programme for the TFN as id like to start work the first week and not have to wait, the visas are now 360 euro, visa first do tfn, bank account sim and visa for 410?? good bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Im going on my own in a few months, just filling out the visa next week, would you recomend going to a certain city first? just so i can meet people and not be on my own, wheres the easiest place to get work, i dont have a traid, but have good work expierence with landscaping carpentry and office work. Would i be better off doing the programme for the TFN as id like to start work the first week and not have to wait, the visas are now 360 euro, visa first do tfn, bank account sim and visa for 410?? good bad?

Just from my experience, could be different for others who have contacts...but I dont know one person who has come to Australia and got a job in their first week. I wouldn't worry too much about not getting your TFN in time.

Also bank account is free, TFN is free and sim cards are $2. Paying someone 50euro to do it is not good.

Ah ok thanks, what are the chances of being able to get a job before i go over? how long does the TFN take do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Ah ok thanks, what are the chances of being able to get a job before i go over? how long does the TFN take do you know?

Really all depends on the job your looking for...me and my friends all went for jobs on our various fields, shortest time was one month looking, longest was 7, one gave up looking for a job in his field after 4 months and got a tradie job through a contact. It all depends on the work youre looking for, who you know and luck, lots of luck. Unless you know someone your chances are pretty much slim to nil getting something before you go. TFN takes about a week.

Well i dont have a trade just lots of work expreience, id do anything from landscaping or office work anything really, ah ok a week isnt too bad, where do you go to get that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I read unemployment rate has gone up to 6%

and they added no new jobs in 2013

the first time its happed since 2003

• Advertisement

oh **** really, i know people that went last year and got work, does anybody know about fruit picking, good or bad pay or long hours

Advertisement