Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on dying shrub

Options
  • 28-06-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We have a shrub at the end of our garden that is about 12 years old. Dont know what type of shrub it is, have no experience with gardening. Anyway, we have noticed that the shrub is dying and are wondering is there anything we can do to save it. Has anyone any ideas what would cause it to die? I'm sure the cold winter would have done it some harm but we only noticed it withering about 6 weeks ago. I will try to put up some pics of it so people can identify the shrub and maybe see if it can be saved. Also there is another shrub opposite it which is a similar type and is fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would need to give a bit more information or a pic to be able to help you on this one. When you say it is dying do you mean it was in full leaf and has started to wither, or did it not come on after the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

I have attached three pictures and I hope they are good enough to tell what the shrub is. It was in full leaf and started to wither, we noticed the dead leaves about 6-8 weeks ago and it has gradually gotten worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

It's a pittosporum, and a lot of those died from the cold last winter. It's possible that the cold just damaged it, and the dry spring may have been the final straw. You could try giving it a good soaking, but even if it grows again it may not look the best for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

cut it back, water and feed well, that is all it needs, that looks like wind burn to me, it has happened in the past few weeks to some of mine, and that is what i did and they are coming on good, the feeding is important after cutting, as you want it to be strong enough to endure a rough winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Great, thanks. What do you recommend I use to feed it with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Wailin wrote: »
    Great, thanks. What do you recommend I use to feed it with?
    any general fertaliser, rose and shrub fertaliser or any for all,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

It's a pittosporum alright and it is in distress from the hard winter.
    I would give this a foliar feed ... spray the leaves with a solution of water and Seaweed extract (available in DIY or Garden centres) but do not spray during full sun

Advertisement