Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL and file backups - multiple servers

Options
  • 28-06-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Has anyone got a good solution for MySQL and file backups across multiple servers?

I'd like to automate backups of mysql and also data files (jpgs, php etc).

I've used crons in the past and might resort to them again, but something with a decent reporting and user interface would be better.

Any pointers welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

In terms of an overall solution for both, I'm sure there are commercial products out there that will do both for you but I don't have any experience using them so can't recommend.

It is quite easy to build a robust backup solution with a bit of work.

How much data you have and how critical is it that you don't lose any?

You could write a cron/mysqldump script and run it every 10 minutes.

If you need something a bit more reliabe, you could use the binary log. Make sure you set the variables expire_logs_days and max_binlog_size especially if you are on a shared host as the logs grow quite quickly.

If you need redundancy then setup replication.

There is a complete list of available options here here

For filesystem backups I would recommend Rsync (incremental and compressed).

Advertisement