Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Game in Sligo?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Can any Rovers fans give an indication if the Europa game will be held in Sligo. I read that John Delaney has offered €5,000.00 for the game to be held in town.

It is vital that the game is held at the Showgrounds. Would hate to have it go to Tallaght or out of town.

A major fund-raiser is required -- any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can any Rovers fans give an indication if the Europa game will be held in Sligo. I read that John Delaney has offered €5,000.00 for the game to be held in town.

It is vital that the game is held at the Showgrounds. Would hate to have it go to Tallaght or out of town.

A major fund-raiser is required -- any suggestions?
    simpleist answer is no one noes yet

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

I would prefer game at Showgrounds -- will be a huge shame if it doesn't take place there. Really the committee, must build a stadium with excess seating - despite reality of 2,000 per game sitting.

Where you would prefer if it is not in Showgies:

a. Tallaght

b. Hyde Park

c McHale Park

d Thomond

Aviva will be too expensive

Any suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

B,c and d arent fodder grounds. RDS being the other maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

We should know in the next couple of days, Delaney is confident we'll get it.

As for GAA grounds in the poll, they're not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I would take an awful lot of what the FAI and Delaney say with a pinch of salt.

Requires alot to be done to get the pitch up to even 3rd rd qualifying standard. An extra 2000 seats, upgrading the floodlights, press and VIP facilities, even extending the lenght of the pitch by 5 metres I read in last weeks Champion.

The requirements for this rd are totally different compared to the 2nd rd a couple of years ago.

Would love to see it in the Showgrounds again my self, but with a decision from UEFA due soon, I have a feeling we will be traveling to Tallaght for it, with a very very slim outside chance of Thomand. It certainly wont be in any of the GAA grounds.

• Advertisement

When's it meant to be on stew? And any idea against who yet?

UrbanSea wrote: »
    B,c and d arent fodder grounds. RDS being the other maybe?
    the horse show is on in the rds so thats out
    When's it meant to be on stew? And any idea against who yet?
    the draws on the 15 of July

irish-stew wrote: »
    I would take an awful lot of what the FAI and Delaney say with a pinch of salt.

Requires alot to be done to get the pitch up to even 3rd rd qualifying standard. An extra 2000 seats, upgrading the floodlights, press and VIP facilities, even extending the lenght of the pitch by 5 metres I read in last weeks Champion.
    It doesn't though, we are seeking dispensation from UEFA. They do grant it sometimes to clubs. We will have some stuff to do, like add more seats but won't not have to do everything that's set down in the criteria, if we get it.

You have to remember we were only meant to be entering in the 2nd round and therefore there's less things to be done for that, UEFA may grant dispensation for that reason, or another reason entirely, but it is possible it will be held in the Showgrounds.

UrbanSea, the 1st leg is July 28th and the 2nd leg is August 4th.

thebuzz wrote: »
    It doesn't though, we are seeking dispensation from UEFA. They do grant it sometimes to clubs. We will have some stuff to do, like add more seats but won't not have to do everything that's set down in the criteria, if we get it.

You have to remember we were only meant to be entering in the 2nd round and therefore there's less things to be done for that, UEFA may grant dispensation for that reason, or another reason entirely, but it is possible it will be held in the Showgrounds.

UrbanSea, the 1st leg is July 28th and the 2nd leg is August 4th.

Thats assuming they make an allowance, if they dont, then that is the criteria amoungst other things that is required to be done.

John Delaney would have little influence on it. The club can appeal/plead their case, and I hope its succesfull. But at the end of the day, its UEFAs decision.

I agree on the comment re the second round, the ground is up to that standard (based on 2 years ago). But even if we had started in that round, consideration on the ground, or alternative venues still would sill of have to be considered if we had progressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

the horse show is on in the rds so thats out

the draws on the 15 of July

if the showgrounds doesn't meet the standard's the mhome leg would be Held in Tallaght stadium definitely.

if that does happen I will consider travelling from dundalk to support the bit o'red and so would many other LOI fans

• Advertisement

careca11 wrote: »
    if the showgrounds doesn't meet the standard's the mhome leg would be Held in Tallaght stadium definitely.

if that does happen I will consider travelling from dundalk to support the bit o'red and so would many other LOI fans

Hopefully you and plenty of others. I would be great to see an LOI club progress who ever they are. Unless the Bit O'Red are still there, then I'm only supporting them.

:D

Thats assuming they make an allowance, if they dont, then that is the criteria amoungst other things that is required to be done.

John Delaney would have little influence on it. The club can appeal/plead their case, and I hope its succesfull. But at the end of the day, its UEFAs decision.
    Well obviously it's assuming they make an allowance. That's the whole point of this process, if they grant us dispensation it'll be here, if they don't then it wont.

Having been in Albania and the ground Vllaznia had, the Showgrounds is up to the standard (although Albania is classed as a poorer country so UEFA are less stringent with the requirements there). I'm confident the game will be in Sligo.

thebuzz wrote: »
    Well obviously it's assuming they make an allowance. That's the whole point of this process, if they grant us dispensation it'll be here, if they don't then it wont.

Totally understand that. Just making the point.

;)
    Having been in Albania and the ground Vllaznia had, the Showgrounds is up to the standard (although Albania is classed as a poorer country so UEFA are less stringent with the requirements there). I'm confident the game will be in Sligo.

Thats the thing I didn't get, watching the second leg on TV (well on the internet), and the way their ground looked, I was surprised by the amount of pressure put on Sligo to bring their ground up to the standard required.

Would I be right in saying at that stage of the competition a couple of years ago it was Irish and Albainan based UEFA officals who viewed and approved the grounds rather than centralised officials at UEFA HQ, hence maybe the leeway given to Vllaznia.

Not sure if its Irish based or centralised officals who make this decission this time, that surely would influnce things to an extent.

Totally understand that. Just making the point.

;)

Thats the thing I didn't get, watching the second leg on TV (well on the internet), and the way their ground looked, I was surprised by the amount of pressure put on Sligo to bring their ground up to the standard required.

Would I be right in saying at that stage of the competition a couple of years ago it was Irish and Albainan based UEFA officals who viewed and approved the grounds rather than centralised officials at UEFA HQ, hence maybe the leeway given to Vllaznia.

Not sure if its Irish based or centralised officals who make this decission this time, that surely would influnce things to an extent.
    i think so. the place was a dump. two hotels in the place and the team had to be there 24 hours before ko. they were due to stay in some hotel but that was a dump so ended up having to stay in the good hotel with the officials for the match.you wouldn't put animals in that place

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

A delegate from UEFA coming to inspect the ground next week, at least it shows they havent dismissed the clubs proposal anyway.
    http://www.sligorovers.com/latest-news-news-menu-inside-246/1277-uefa-delegate-to-visit-showgrounds

What was the club's proposal?

What was the club's proposal?
    from the article
    In making their submission to hold the game in the Showgrounds, Sligo Rovers outlined a wide range of ground improvements, including the installation of over 1,000 additional seats, the extension of the pitch and the provision of media, conference, and other facilities to Uefa standard.

A short report about the UEFA delegates visit, decision expected by the end of the week, heres hoping:)
    http://www.sligorovers.com/latest-news-news-menu-inside-246/1279-uefa-delegate-carries-out-inspection

D-day today

Hopefully John Delaney will be getting the chequebook out:)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Just heard on Ocean FM that it's been granted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 D Boyo

Great news, nice boost to the Sligo to have a big match like this

Advertisement