Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI 1.4 v HDMI 1.3

• 28-06-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am aware that the rule of thumb is that there is no difference between a HDMI cable for €5 and one for €100.

However I am just wondering what, if any, is the difference between a 1.4 and a 1.3 HDMI cable?

I was just looking at HDMI on Wikipedia (Yes i know people can edit it :D) and this paragraph in particular gave me the impression that there is a difference.

From what it says below, if you have a TV which would be 1080p you would be better off with a high speed HDMI cable over a standard HDMI cable which I'm taking the high speed cable to be the 1.4 HDMI cable.
    HDMI 1.3 defines two cable categories: Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 720p60 and 1080i60), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 1080p60 and 2160p30).[55][59][60] Category 1 HDMI cables are to be marketed as "Standard" and Category 2 HDMI cables as "High Speed".[1] This labeling guideline for HDMI cables went into effect on October 17, 2008.
    Many HDMI cables under 5 meters of length that were made before the HDMI 1.3 specification can work as Category 2 cables, but only Category 2-tested cables are guaranteed to work.[63]

As of the HDMI 1.4 specification, there are the following cable types defined for HDMI in general:[64][65]

Standard HDMI Cable - up to 1080i and 720p
    Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
    Automotive HDMI Cable
    High Speed HDMI Cable - 1080p, 4K, 3D and Deep Color
    High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I paid 9.99 for a 1 meter HDMI cable in Harvey Normans to connect my PS3 to my Samsung HD TV and I can use 1080p no problem !! As it says in the article you quoted:
    Many HDMI cables under 5 meters of length that were made before the HDMI 1.3 specification can work as Category 2 cables, but only Category 2-tested cables are guaranteed to work.[63]

It's probably going to be hit and miss but worth a try !! Unless you plan to use it for a 1080p 3D or 4K picture then probably best to cough up the extra for the higher grade cable.

As for Wikipedia, generally it's well maintained but for a more accurate description best to go to this site

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

The main difference is 1.4 has some support for 3D as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

However I am just wondering what, if any, is the difference between a 1.4 and a 1.3 HDMI cable?

There is no such thing as a HDMI 1.4 cable , or 1.3 cable , or 1.x cable.

Those numbers refer only to the device electronics and what features those electronics are capable of.
    They do not apply to cables.

Cables can be Category 1 , standard speed , or Category 2 , high speed , and this is the result of a data throughput test.

The major new feature of HDMI 1.4 electronics is 3D.
    3D on Blu ray is 1920 x 1080p x 24hz x 2 or a single 2D 1080p picture for each eye.

As such it is exactly the same in terms of data throughput as a 2D 1920 x 1080p x 50hz ( its actually slightly less ) and this format is not uncommon on some blu rays where the source was Television material.

So , 3d requires no more bandwidth than some 2D material out there , and you do not need to change cables for it.

Cable sellers are the most dishonest section of this whole industry , they have consistently mis-informed in the case of HDMI in order to sell people overpriced cables they do not need.

If you already have cables you do not need new ones for 3D , the ones you have will do.

Advertisement