Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring or West Kerry?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised the Ring of West Kerry doesn't have more of a high profile, there really are some spectacular views to be had when going full circle driving around the west Kerry peninsula.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

West Kerry Peninsula?

You mean the Dingle Peninsula or the Beara Peninsula perhaps?

I'm surprised the Ring of West Kerry doesn't have more of a high profile

The Ring of Kerry stretches west from Killarney, with all its 5 star hotels and its 150 years of tourism stretching back to the visit of Queen Vic. It starts and ends, for most, with the lakes and Ireland's highest mountain range and the famous National Park - which is an amazing amenity, in no other area can you look for miles and miles across hundred of square miles of terrain with no house, no telephone wires, just unspoiled landscape. Apart from the volume of hotels, restaurants, busses doing the route, easy access by train etc. it has other attractions that you just do not get in Dingle or Beara. Famous golf courses for starters. 5 Blue Flag beaches (of course other areas will have a few).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

The Ring of Kerry stretches west from Killarney, with all its 5 star hotels and its 150 years of tourism stretching back to the visit of Queen Vic. It starts and ends, for most, with the lakes and Ireland's highest mountain range and the famous National Park - which is an amazing amenity, in no other area can you look for miles and miles across hundred of square miles of terrain with no house, no telephone wires, just unspoiled landscape. Apart from the volume of hotels, restaurants, busses doing the route, easy access by train etc. it has other attractions that you just do not get in Dingle or Beara. Famous golf courses for starters. 5 Blue Flag beaches (of course other areas will have a few).

All true Conor, but for sheer beauty, both Slea Head and Beara kick 'The Ring's ass thoroughly in my opinion. Traffic volumes have destroyed it as an experience, and everything along it is an overpriced tourist trap.
    Beara is by far the most unspoiled of the three, but it does need a couple of more good restaurants, and has almost no hotels outside of Kenmare on its route currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

johnr1 wrote: »
    All true Conor, but for sheer beauty, both Slea Head and Beara kick 'The Ring's ass thoroughly in my opinion. Traffic volumes have destroyed it as an experience, and everything along it is an overpriced tourist trap.
    Beara is by far the most unspoiled of the three, but it does need a couple of more good restaurants, and has almost no hotels outside of Kenmare on its route currently.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    When Germans tell me about their Irish visits they enthuse about the Ring of Kerry. One colleague gave me 200 photos of his Ring of Kerry tour.

My own experiences are:
    Ring of Kerry -twice
    Dingle area - once
    Beara area - five times.
    Beara appeals to my Irish family and to me. They gave me a ring of Beara tour. Castletownbere and its port are super. There is a fabulous view from the Healy Pass. Lauragh and Kenmare were also great.

Advertisement