Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you sold a lifestyle ?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 6:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭

There is a block of (unsold) apartments near me and while passing them today I noticed the faded advertising signs for them. The first shows 2 couples, wine glasses in hand having a wonderful time with the tag line "Live the Dream" another showed a beautiful young couple pushing a buggy with the tagline "Everythings Local" ! !

It seems the word "Idlyllic" was used a lot too as was the line, "The country on your doorstep" ! It seems people were being pushed towards an "Idlyllic" lifestyle rather than the actual property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

panem et circenses

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Such sights are very creepy. Nothing worse then empty estates or flat complexes.

I actuolly don't know how they can fill those in? No one wants to live with neighours, but no one wants to live in ghost estate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Icepick wrote: »
    panem et circenses

For those of you who aren't fluent in Latin.

It is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    For those of you who aren't fluent in Latin.

It is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace.

Could not have put it better myself !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Saucy, I'll take two apartments :pac:

Belmayne by Darndale, the halting site, Northern Cross

belmayne1mr4.png
    belmayne3gw6.png

Remembering the complaints about the Hunky Dory ad last year I'm wondering how these got approved for billboards and marketing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

mikemac wrote: »
    Saucy, I'll take two apartments :pac:

Belmayne by Darndale, the halting site, Northern Cross

belmayne1mr4.png
    belmayne3gw6.png

Remembering the complaints about the Hunky Dory ad last year I'm wondering how these got approved for billboards and marketing

ROFLMAO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

No one put a gun to their heads to buy. If anyone blames advertising as the sole reason for the biggest financial commitment of their life they really shouldn't be let near a plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

catbear wrote: »
    No one put a gun to their heads to buy. If anyone blames advertising as the sole reason for the biggest financial commitment of their life they really shouldn't be let near a plastic bag.

It's not the whole reason, and ads like the above would be a disincentive for me, but I can understand people feeling frightened at being left behind. I know I was at the time.

Advertisement