Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canceling upc and esb direct debits

Options
  • 28-06-2011 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I am moving out of my apartment and I want to cancel my upc and esb direct debits, is it just a matter of telling the bank to cancel them or do I I have to write to them or is it a case where the esb and upc have to tell them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Your free to cancel your DD's at any time, if you have online banking then you can do it there. The bank will warn you to inform the companies as well.

Good idea to contact UPC/ESB and let them know it is cancelled so you can arrange your final payments with another method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

if I cancel it online ,can I reactivate it aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

if I cancel it online ,can I reactivate it aswell?

No, not online, you will need to complete a new direct debit mandate from each of the companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

DD's should be cancelled with company only.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ostrich

chris85 wrote: »
    DD's should be cancelled with company only.

correct :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

ostrich wrote: »
    correct :)

Eh, incorrect!

Cancel them with both. I've been stung a few times with DD's from companies who I cancelled with. You've no comeback if you haven't informed your bank. The company involved will just deny you rang them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

McWotever wrote: »
    Eh, incorrect!

Cancel them with both. I've been stung a few times with DD's from companies who I cancelled with. You've no comeback if you haven't informed your bank. The company involved will just deny you rang them.

You can let the bank know but procedure is to cancel with the company. If they deny you cancelled it that is a whole different kettle of fish and you should report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

if you're hoping to re-connect at another address, def tell companies. if not, well bank first, co.s second in my exp.

Advertisement