Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview for French teaching post- help!

• 28-06-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

I got called today for an interview for a French post I applied for. I am a NQT and this is my first interview so I am quiet nervous! I covered two French maternity leaves prior to starting the PGDE so I have teaching experience.

Has any language teachers who have attended interviews before got any helpful hints or tips for me??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hugs&xxx

Well done firstly its great you got an interview so far. Im sure the previous teaching experience stood to you during the PGDE.
    Im a french teacher, also preparing for interviews!
    General questions are usually asked such as Classroom Management, Learning strategies, Benefits of Homework, Participation in Extra Curricular, Explaining your professional experience upto now.
    For a french post usually part of the interview will be in french, usually by a french teacher from the staff, some questions I have been asked in the past include:
    1) describe your experiences of living in france, what did you do? where did you live, describe the city?
    2) Do you think the French oral exam is important, what percentage are all parts of the exam worth? how could you implement more oral french in your classroom.
    3) How would you assess students regularly in language learning?
    4) What approaches to language learning do you use in the classroom?
    5) Do you think its important to speak french with your students as much as possible, why? etc

For interviews I generally prepare a few paragraphs to talk about my experience of living in france, then also describe how ive taught french in schools, and the importance of learning a language etc
    If you need any other help, send me a reply i know how it feels! good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

wow... thanks so much for all that information it really is helpful..

I presumed some French questions would be asked in the interview alright.. Im a bit fearful of that but I may go prepare some answers before the interview I suppose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Prepare everything in French if you have time. You can keep the notebook and use it before every interview in French. It will also up your confidence and in reality you may not actually be asked anything in French. Then general questions related to the curriculum, classroom scenarios like how would you teach the past tense tyo mixed ability 2nd years etc. Some of the more interesting ones I was asked *How can you give 1st years homework if their parents cant help them *How do you differentiate listening work *Should less academic students be allowed drop French *How many different books do LC students need and * Could teach LC hons and pass in one class. The hard ones werent all from one interview and were asked in English! Bonne courage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cli85

rose23, thanks so much for that information! i am currently preparing for a spanish interview and those questions really helped focus my preparation.

thanks a mill,

Cli. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cli85

actually thanks to hugs&XXX and vamos .... as they gave the advice!!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement