Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Across the border by ferry with NCT overdue?

• 28-06-2011 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,

I might have a tiny issue here: I'm planning to move to the mainland shortly, now my NCT will be overdue by then and I only got an appointment for the time I want to be gone already. I know in Ireland this shouldn't be an issue, just show your registration letter, off you go. However, I need to take a ferry and I'm not sure will they let me go aboard with no NCT? And will the lads in France and so forth let me get away with it?

I'm also not too pushed to get it done beforehand, because I'll have to get the car checked anew when registering there anyway and I don't want to pay twice for the same thing within such a short period of time...

Anyone an idea?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The Mainland ????:confused::confused:
    I didn't realise that we were an outpost.

Anyway, if you have a couple of weeks before your journey and really want to NCT the car, give the NCT a ring and explain your situation. Otherwise I don't think it will be a problem.
    Once you get off the ferry just take down the out-of-date disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

martaphal wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I might have a tiny issue here: I'm planning to move to the mainland shortly,

I actually wanted to find you and hurt you about then but then I read on. France being part of Continental Europe therefore Mainland shall be allowed :D

Shouldnt have an issue however.... your Irish insurer who I assume you will be using as a means of cover during the period of allowable transition may refute any Accidental Damage claim or theft to your vehicle if there is no NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

MugMugs wrote: »
    I actually wanted to find you and hurt you about then but then I read on. France being part of Continental Europe therefore Mainland shall be allowed :D

Lol, was thinking something very similar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Surely nobody gives a rats arse about our silly NCT abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 martaphal

ya, my concern was more to get aboard the ferry, i'm considering going via UK though now, any issues there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ya, my concern was more to get aboard the ferry, i'm considering going via UK though now, any issues there??
    MugMugs wrote:
    Shouldnt have an issue however.... your Irish insurer who I assume you will be using as a means of cover during the period of allowable transition may refute any Accidental Damage claim or theft to your vehicle if there is no NCT.

If you did meet a pedantic copper though they could give you a bit of hassle but I really wouldn't see why they would.

I drove north for a good while with no NCT and never any hassle and plenty of being stopped.

If the NCT is expired I'd take the disc down abroad, too much of a potential ball ache to have an ecpired disc on the screen imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you're allowed to drive the car in Ireland until the test date, it should be fine within the EU until that date also. Thereafter, I would not be so sure so I guess you'll be reregistering quickly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Lol, was thinking something very similar...

Jeez lads, that's a very Fianna Fail attitude. Don't you know we've moved on, and are a little less sensitive about stuff that doesn't actually matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

n97 mini wrote: »
    Jeez lads, that's a very Fianna Fail attitude. Don't you know we've moved on, and are a little less sensitive about stuff that doesn't actually matter!
    That's easy for some of us to say; for others the wounds are still quite fresh. Anyway, it's OT so i'll move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The Mainland ????:confused::confused:

He means maniland Europe, Probably Germany. (actually I see he put France / rant off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MugMugs wrote: »
    .... your Irish insurer who I assume you will be using as a means of cover during the period of allowable transition may refute any Accidental Damage claim or theft to your vehicle if there is no NCT.
    No, they can't. Because NCT is not a warranty, or guarantee from defects, the only issue you'll have is if their claims assessor (on foot of an accident/claim), or a Garda technical report, states the car was 'unroadworthy'. Not having a certain piece of paper on the windscreen does not invalidate your cover.

Getting on the ferry is irrelevant - it is not a public road, and you don't anything to put it on a ferry. And, they have no powers to inspect or insist on it anyway - mind you, if your doors/wings are hanging off, and it's pissing petrol/oil out, they can refuse you admission on Health & Safety grounds, which is fair.

Technically, you could be done for it in the UK though - the rule is that whilst you don't need an NCT in the UK, as you are in-transit, you are required to keep it to the legal requirement in the State of origin (here). It's small print stuff, but it's the grounds that PSNI clamp and ticket out-of-tax RoI cars in N.I. You'd be very unlucky to get done for it, especially as you will have a booking for it (which you can cancel when you leave, btw.........)

Me, I'd go via France, and dump the disc once you hit the ferry port here.

My 0.02.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Also the UK does not require an MOT disc to be displayed, so once you have a valid Tax disc and current insurance the UK police should not be a problem.

Advertisement