Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about buying land?

• 28-06-2011 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

In the process of buying 25 acres of land (hopefully). I'm buying direct off the present landowner. Do you have to get a solicitor to sort out the legal stuff. If so, I think I have to pay them (1-2% of the asking price). Anybody have any experience.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

How ya. BEst of luck with your purchase. You will need a solicitor. They do a search of the folio to make sure there no problems(approx 60 euro), to do the deed of transfer(250 euro), to open a new folio (60) and then his fee after that typically round 1.5% of value + VAT.

Dont forget stamp duty also which is 4% on value between 40-70K so it will be a little different for you maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

TUBBY wrote: »
    How ya. BEst of luck with your purchase. You will need a solicitor. They do a search of the folio to make sure there no problems(approx 60 euro), to do the deed of transfer(250 euro), to open a new folio (60) and then his fee after that typically round 1.5% of value + VAT.

Dont forget stamp duty also which is 4% on value between 40-70K so it will be a little different for you maybe.
    Thanks for info.....
    The asking price is 125,000 euro.
    Just checked on revenue site. 8% stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Don t even dream of giving them 1.5% + VAT ; solicitors are a dime a dozen and there all crying out for work since the celtic tiger Ff ed off
    Get a quote from a few different ones.
    I bought 75 acres last year. Gave the solicitor €2000 all in.

Traonach wrote: »
    Thanks for info.....
    The asking price is 125,000 euro. Is there only stamp duty on land priced 40-70k??:confused:

No, that is just the only example i know, it has different amounts for different price ranges. Look up revenue.ie and you should find out.

The 1.5% is only a guide. Tell ya what, getting 25 acres at 125K is good value. Fair play to ya. Any frontage. Is it decent land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

In the process of buying 25 acres of land (hopefully). I'm buying direct off the present landowner. Do you have to get a solicitor to sort out the legal stuff. If so, I think I have to pay them (1-2% of the asking price). Anybody have any experience.

1 - 2 % , that solicitor is having a laugh , dont give him a penny more than a half of one percent , solicitors have been hit seriously hard by the property collapse , conveyancy is simple and straight forward

• Advertisement

Thanks for info.....
    The asking price is 125,000 euro.
    Just checked on revenue site. 8% stamp duty.

stamp duty on farm land is 6 %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

TUBBY wrote: »
    No, that is just the only example i know, it has different amounts for different price ranges. Look up revenue.ie and you should find out.

The 1.5% is only a guide. Tell ya what, getting 25 acres at 125K is good value. Fair play to ya. Any frontage. Is it decent land.
    Land West Mayo, 21 acres good (good for West Mayo:o) grassland and the rest wet grassland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Don't forget possible stamp duty reliefs if available to you

Farm consolidation - if you are selling land to buy this land you only pay stamp on the difference. I think this is ending tomorrow but not certain

Young farmers relief - if you are a qualified farmer under 35 then no stamp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Tipp Man wrote: »

Isn't that gone?

Grecco wrote: »
    Isn't that gone?

Don't think so - it should be there until 31 December 2012

• Advertisement

Don't forget possible stamp duty reliefs if available to you

Farm consolidation - if you are selling land to buy this land you only pay stamp on the difference. I think this is ending tomorrow but not certain

slightly off topic i know but tip man , do you see any sign of roll over relief being reinstated ? , i think its a huge obstacle to expansion in this country and the 2020 food harvest goal will not happen unless things change , presently , if you sell four 25 acre bits of land in order to try and buy a hundred acre block , you find yourself only able to buy 75 acres when capital gains tax takes effect

irishh_bob wrote: »
    slightly off topic i know but tip man , do you see any sign of roll over relief being reinstated ? , i think its a huge obstacle to expansion in this country and the 2020 food harvest goal will not happen unless things change , presently , if you sell four 25 acre bits of land in order to try and buy a hundred acre block , you find yourself only able to buy 75 acres when capital gains tax takes effect

Your dead right Bob, it is a huge barrier to expansion. It's easy for government departments to publish harvest 2020 type reports - but they then have to back this up with actions that will help farmers achieve it. The roll over relief would be a massive step to helping achieve farm consolidation and expansion which are necessary if those targets are to be achieved. Regardless of 2020 we still need huge consolidtion of farms in this country due to their small fragmented nature

We used to buy and sell quite a bit of land in the past but now we have to be careful where we invest as when you buy now it is simply to expensive to sell again - you would loose a small fotune

to answer your question Bob - I don't think it will be reinstated. As you know yourself the country is broke and they will bleed every stone dry for any tax they can. It doesn't make business sense but then the country isn't run like any business so i just can't see it being reinstated

I have no idea why the IFA don't have this high up on their agenda

Your dead right Bob, it is a huge barrier to expansion. It's easy for government departments to publish harvest 2020 type reports - but they then have to back this up with actions that will help farmers achieve it. The roll over relief would be a massive step to helping achieve farm consolidation and expansion which are necessary if those targets are to be achieved. Regardless of 2020 we still need huge consolidtion of farms in this country due to their small fragmented nature

We used to buy and sell quite a bit of land in the past but now we have to be careful where we invest as when you buy now it is simply to expensive to sell again - you would loose a small fotune

to answer your question Bob - I don't think it will be reinstated. As you know yourself the country is broke and they will bleed every stone dry for any tax they can. It doesn't make business sense but then the country isn't run like any business so i just can't see it being reinstated

I have no idea why the IFA don't have this high up on their agenda

i imagine it would not be politically popular to reinstate it either , beit with the general public or with the labour party :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Is stamp duty progressive or simply the rate is applied to all the land.

What I mean is on the IFAC website it says stamp duty rates on the transfer of agricultural land is as follows.

Up to 10,000 Exempt
    10,001 to 20,000 1%
    20,001 to 30,000 2%
    30,001 to 40,000 3%
    40,001 to 70,000 4%
    70,001 to 80,000 5%
    Excess over 80,000 6%

Do you get the first €10,000 exempt, then 1% on the next €10,000, 2% on the next 10k and so on upto 80k where the level stabilises at 6%?
    http://www.ifac.ie/ifac_taxation12.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Min wrote: »
    Is stamp duty progressive or simply the rate is applied to all the land.

What I mean is on the IFAC website it says stamp duty rates on the transfer of agricultural land is as follows.

Up to 10,000 Exempt
    10,001 to 20,000 1%
    20,001 to 30,000 2%
    30,001 to 40,000 3%
    40,001 to 70,000 4%
    70,001 to 80,000 5%
    Excess over 80,000 6%

Do you get the first €10,000 exempt, then 1% on the next €10,000, 2% on the next 10k and so on upto 80k where the level stabilises at 6%?
    http://www.ifac.ie/ifac_taxation12.htm

Good Q. After buying some land for first time so the whole process is new to me.

At what stage does the owner cease control of the land i.e. when deposit made or once final payment made ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

when last of money paid as stated in contract
    make sure you get vacent possesion

adne wrote: »
    Good Q. After buying some land for first time so the whole process is new to me.

At what stage does the owner cease control of the land i.e. when deposit made or once final payment made ??

The stamp duty is not progressive. if you buy land for 50K, you pay 4% on all of it.
    the land isnt in your name until all contracts signed and money paid in full. You then get the deeds issued in your name by your solicitor. All in all the process takes about 6 weeks from bid being accepted.

the way things are going in the news , anyone who bought land in euro today could be paying for it in some other currency in six weeks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the way things are going in the news , anyone who bought land in euro today could be paying for it in some other currency in six weeks :D

Could be a good time to clear the savings a/c of the worthless Euro

Advertisement