Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying lessons - info needed!

Options
  • 28-06-2011 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I want to buy my boyfriend an hour's flying voucher but am confused as to who is the best to buy from? There's one on GiftsDirect.com for Weston Airport but I saw on a 3-year old thread here that best to buy from NFC; is there a difference in instructors depending on where I buy it? Or is it simply a case of GiftsDirect.com offering the exact same voucher for €10 less?!

Hope ye can help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gar-Bar

Hi,

I started flying lessons with NFC last September. I find the school great and the instructors are top notch. Great atmosphere in NFC.

Gar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cupfungus1984

Gar-Bar wrote: »
    Hi,

I started flying lessons with NFC last September. I find the school great and the instructors are top notch. Great atmosphere in NFC.

Gar

Great Gar, thanks a million.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Hi C,

Buy direct from the schools if there's one piece of advice I can give!

My wife (without me knowing:rolleyes:) bought me a lesson from Topgifts which went bust recently (thankfully it was done on the credit card and I was refunded by the bank) but between the Topgifts being unable to get me a slot with the school, for nearly a year, and then obviously going bust, my advice is as I said. I dont believe in those gift voucher web sites, and especially when you can already get the voucher direct.

Go with the school and you wont have problems :D

Jocry wrote: »
    Hi C,

Buy direct from the schools if there's one piece of advice I can give!

My wife (without me knowing:rolleyes:) bought me a lesson from Topgifts which went bust recently (thankfully it was done on the credit card and I was refunded by the bank) but between the Topgifts being unable to get me a slot with the school, for nearly a year, and then obviously going bust, my advice is as I said. I dont believe in those gift voucher web sites, and especially when you can already get the voucher direct.

Go with the school and you wont have problems :D

Hi Jocry,

I really appreciate your help, thanks very much! I've just bought it direct from NFC and am delighted/reassured I went with them and not the gifts website. Now I just have to wait - and try and keep it a secret - until his birthday!

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Didn't know Topgifts closed. Ironically as a CPL I won a flying lesson from them in a newspaper competition. I thought it was so funny. Actually I would have preferred a helicopter lesson.

But in fact I was doing some flying with the NFC at the time so it was useful. But it got really complicated. Standing in the NFC office I rang Topgifts to book it but they said it would take a while to book. I pointed out I as here right now ready to fly and there was a slot. Eventually M in the office chatted to them and after lots of humming and hawing it was agreed.

The lesson I learned was to book directly with the school. But I got it for nothing so no big deal.

One thing I will advise is to make sure you use it before it expires. Many companies consider vouchers to be free money, so many of them are never cashed in. Get him to book a flight ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

No problems :)

Yeah to be honest, I had a disaster with them and didnt know they had gone bust until I received an email from the liquidator to say the voucher and any potential refund was null and void. Kicked up an absolute roar in order to get a copy of payment from their accounts as proof to the bank. When all was said and done though, the details were sent to my bank and the refund was in my account within three days...

There are posts on Boards about the whole situation and how inconvenient is was for people to book flight times, etc with Topgifts. Alot of people were let down. However this post is about the present, Im glad you were able to get it, Im sure himself will enjoy it, no better feeling (hopefully) when he does take to the sky :D

Jocry wrote: »
    No problems :)

Yeah to be honest, I had a disaster with them and didnt know they had gone bust until I received an email from the liquidator to say the voucher and any potential refund was null and void. Kicked up an absolute roar in order to get a copy of payment from their accounts as proof to the bank. When all was said and done though, the details were sent to my bank and the refund was in my account within three days...

There are posts on Boards about the whole situation and how inconvenient is was for people to book flight times, etc with Topgifts. Alot of people were let down. However this post is about the present, Im glad you were able to get it, Im sure himself will enjoy it, no better feeling (hopefully) when he does take to the sky :D

I'm glad to hear you were (eventually) reimbursed and thanks again for the help with this. No doubt he will; he studied aerodynamics as part of engineering degree and loves even just being in a plane, so to be in the cockpit I imagine will be great! Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Biff Tannen

Gar-Bar wrote: »
    Hi,

Gar

Yeah did you forget to mention they charge 200 per hour dual in a little Cessna 150? Plus 5 euro for every landing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

The airport charges a €5 landing fee not the NFC. As for their charges well fuel is expensive the Instructor must be paid, insurance, maintenance, overheads etc etc are factored in. Plus they're a business and need to make a profit. Do you object to that?

Flying is expensive, always was expensive and always will be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dublin_1001

Hi,

I want to buy my boyfriend an hour's flying voucher but am confused as to who is the best to buy from? There's one on GiftsDirect.com for Weston Airport but I saw on a 3-year old thread here that best to buy from NFC; is there a difference in instructors depending on where I buy it? Or is it simply a case of GiftsDirect.com offering the exact same voucher for €10 less?!

Hope ye can help!

Hi,

I'm also interested in buying an introductory lesson as a present. Did you book anything and if you did, how easy was it, etc.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm also interested in buying an introductory lesson as a present. Did you book anything and if you did, how easy was it, etc.

Hey - just sent you PM with all the details!

Advertisement