Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Known fault with fridge..

Options
  • 28-06-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a hotpoint Quadrio fridge ~2 years ago, about the same time as a friend of mine. Today they messaged me urgently telling me to check a wire at top left corner of door, that the wire on theirs had worn and snapped, breaking the fridge and becoming a potential fire hazard. they googled the problem and it turns up time and time again online, however theres been no product recall from hotpoint.
    anyway, just checked my fridge, and sure enough, the wire is wearing badly, the insulation has already snapped. My friend contacted hotpoint and the offered
    1) Pay for an engineer to come out for €114 (or €141 cant remember) for a once-off repair or 2) Pay €19.95 for 10mths for a years warranty which covers the engineer and if he can't repair it, they'll replace the fridge.

Surely this is illegal, as its a product not fit for its purpose and wearing dangerously in a very short space of time?

whats our next move?

pic attached is found online to illustrate the problem being widespread
    296kle9.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Under Irish law it could be considered illegal because you are entitle to a appliance fit for purpose. This fault would render you fridge unfit for purpose and the retailer liabile for damage to your house etc if it did go on fire.

Your contract is with the retailer, write to them asking for a remedy. They can offer repair, replacement or refund. I would presume repair after 2 years use without issue.

You can quote the 'Sale of Goods and Services act 1980'

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Retailer is H Norman, contact at branch level or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd recommend starting with the store where the item was purchased - failing that, I'd go to head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭finnegan101

its also worth checking the full ins and outs of the warranty...
    ie... a electrulux fridge freezer has a 5 years parts warranty.... but if you purchase it from currys, the 5 year warrany is void after the first year........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

its also worth checking the full ins and outs of the warranty...
    ie... a electrulux fridge freezer has a 5 years parts warranty.... but if you purchase it from currys, the 5 year warrany is void after the first year........
    That doesnt matter here since the OP would be claiming under his/her statutory rights not the warranty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement