Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many points for Arts?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've looked in the prospectus, the website and on qualifax and I cannot find what the points are for Arts. Can anyone please enlighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=31

I got it through the CAO website just in case you need to find info on other courses...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

WatchOut wrote: »
    I've looked in the prospectus, the website and on qualifax and I cannot find what the points are for Arts. Can anyone please enlighten me?

well they change every year so...

Nobody knows exactly what they are going to be this year etc. Qualifax etc should be able to give you the past years points.

muboop1 wrote: »
    well they change every year so...

Nobody knows exactly what they are going to be this year etc. Qualifax etc should be able to give you the past years points.

Yeah probably should have said that but I figured it was a given... Obviously they're subject to change this year OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭WatchOut

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=31

I got it through the CAO website just in case you need to find info on other courses...:)

415. Thanks :D Is the arts in UCD sort of like the one in Trinity where the points change depending on what subjects you combine?

415. Thanks :D Is the arts in UCD sort of like the one in Trinity where the points change depending on what subjects you combine?

As far as I know that's the omnibus so your courses aren't guaranteed until you make your module choices??? I could be wrong though I'm not in arts. In science it's all first come first serve in first year...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

No that's the average CAO points. It's not an overly important statistic - what you are interested in is the minimum entry points. This was 360 in 2009 and 365 in 2010. As Arts is a huge course (over 1000 people enter 1st year each year), points shouldn't rise dramatically - I'd guess it might be around 370 next year, possibly 375 (if it even rises that much).

No that's the average CAO points. It's not an overly important statistic - what you are interested in is the minimum entry points. This was 360 in 2009 and 365 in 2010. As Arts is a huge course (over 1000 people enter 1st year each year), points shouldn't rise dramatically - I'd guess it might be around 370 next year, possibly 375 (if it even rises that much).

Do most people get into Arts if they have the minimum entry points?

Do most people get into Arts if they have the minimum entry points?

Minimum entry requirements are minimum entry requirements OP, that means the very last person to qualify for the arts degree last year had that many points in their leaving cert. Sometimes everyone with that many points get in sometimes you'll see an astrix beside the number like this * That means that not all people with those points got in and the spot was raffled...

Minimum entry requirements are minimum entry requirements OP, that means the very last person to qualify for the arts degree last year had that many points in their leaving cert. Sometimes everyone with that many points get in sometimes you'll see an astrix beside the number like this * That means that not all people with those points got in and the spot was raffled...

Thanks for all that :rolleyes:

On a side note, does anyone know anything about Media in UCD? Is there much of an opportunity for students to get involved with the radio/newspaper stations? There doesn't seem to be any media soc so I was just curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

Thanks for all that :rolleyes:

On a side note, does anyone know anything about Media in UCD? Is there much of an opportunity for students to get involved with the radio/newspaper stations? There doesn't seem to be any media soc so I was just curious...

Yeah there are tons of opportunities. There's no specific all encompassing Media soc as such. But there are two newspapers published on campus written by students, the Observer and the Tribune. There's a television network, CTN, which reports on events on campus and records its own show; all its video's are online. And there's a radio station, Belfield FM, which again is purely online.
    Put them into Google and you should find all their websites.

So yeah, loads of options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

360 in 2009 and 365 in 2010? Interesting. I think it was around 345 when I got in (2006), I wonder why there's such a steady increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,414 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Niles wrote: »
    360 in 2009 and 365 in 2010? Interesting. I think it was around 345 when I got in (2006), I wonder why there's such a steady increase.

Ermm...demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Aye, but what is the reason behind the demand? One would think that in the post-Celtic Tiger era people would be going after courses with better career prospects, rather than just doing Arts for the sake of it. I wasn't expecting a decrease but one wonders why demand for that particular course would rise so steadily.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,414 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Aye, but what is the reason behind the demand? One would think that in the post-Celtic Tiger era people would be going after courses with better career prospects, rather than just doing Arts for the sake of it. I wasn't expecting a decrease but one wonders why demand for that particular course would rise so steadily.

Theres been a huge number of people going back into education as a result of the recession. Most college places are up - arts rise is more slow and steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From what I understand, Arts (at UCD at least) is just about the only option for people who don't like or can't hack Maths at all. CompSci, Engineering, Economics and more all require decent Maths skills, by which I mean that you don't have a meltdown when you see something like this:
    [latex]\displaystyle
    \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\,dx = F(b) - F(a)[/latex]

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement