Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

• 28-06-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Starting a new log, to see me through to DCM. Had a great experience with my old log, hope this one records as much enjoyment/pain/grief

2 goals:
    - DCM 2011, anything under 4 hours (the biggie :))
    - Sub 1hr 50 for a half marathon

Started P&D 18/55 today. I’m currently digesting the book, seems ok, some of the lingo is a little confusing. I plan to enjoy as many races as I can fit in along the way, hope to do the DCM race series, the Midlands HM & the Dublin Mountain plod.

This week’s plan:

Day|Session
    Mon|Pilates
    Tue|Recovery 4m
    Wed|General aerobic 9m
    Thur|Rest/Xtrain
    Fri|LT 8m with 4m @hm pace
    Sat|Rest/Xtrain
    Sun|Medium-long run 12m

June 27th: Pilates, a lot easier than last week, instructor a tad more forgiving

June 28th: Run day 1. Legs still a little tired after Enniscorthy so re-jigged week 1 to have the recovery run today. I haven’t yet worked out the correct pace for each run, but I think my recovery runs should be between 10:15 & 10:30. Tonight’s 4 mile recovery was @ 10:13 pace, almost slow enough but it felt like I was shuffling along. Really enjoyed it once I got going, nice & cool out with the late evening sunshine, came home completely relaxed and spirits lifted. Hope at least half of my runs over the next 18 weeks are as enjoyable as tonight’s.

MTD: 102.45
    YTD: 488.31

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck with it, stay injury-free and you should be well under 4 hours in Dublin. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck with the new goals DigiJem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

June 29th: 9 miles @ 9:59 min/mile pace; avg HR 145

In Dublin this evening so headed to the park for this one. A decent run; I somehow avoided most of the heavy showers.

MTD: 111.45
    YTD: 497.31

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the log and the goals J. I've no doubt you'll do great.

1st July: first LT session this evening, found it tough going:

2 miles easy (09:34 & 09:37)
    4 miles, aiming for 8:20 pace (08:22, 08:12, 08:26, 08:09)
    2 miles easy (10:04 & 09:34)

8 miles, Avg hr 160, Max hr 173

MTD: 8
    YTD: 505.31

• Advertisement

3rd July: I didn’t head out until 8 this evening, so it was pretty cool out. First 6 miles were ok, and then back to the house for a gel & a drink. Back around the town for another 6 miles, tired from miles 8 to 11 but nothing too bad. For some reason, Garmin connect is in Italian when I logged in tonight. So my avg Passo was 9:42 min/mile. Avg hr 150, Max hr 163

MTD: 20
    YTD: 517.31

Adding what pace I should be doing for each run type, so I don’t keep having to go back to the book!

Pace|Run type
    09:00|Marathon paced runs
    09:54|Long run (16 miles or longer)
    09:54|Medium/Long run (11 to 15 miles)
    10:21|General Aerobic runs (up to 10 miles)
    10:30|Recovery Runs
    07:40|Pace per mile for VO2 max workouts
    08:15|Pace per mile for LT workouts

July 5th 8 miles @ 10:14 min/mile pace - Avg hr 144, Max hr 161

Started out in a nice drizzle, then the heavens opened after 10 minutes. Really heavy rain that lasted about 20 minutes, got soaked to the skin. It wasn’t a problem keeping the pace slow this evening, although I still didn’t keep it to the target pace.

Plus 6 x 100 strides. Was meant to do 10 but I was getting very cold at this stage and called it a day at 6.

Whatever gremlins were on Garmin Connect are gone, its back to English tonight, but for some reason I have a 40 minutes cycle in Austria on my list of recent activities :confused:

MTD: 28
    YTD: 525.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

DigiJem wrote: »
    I have a 40 minutes cycle in Austria on my list of recent activities :confused:

Wow, you certainly get around :D

Best of luck with the new log, and the road to DCM, your training is going great!

RubyK wrote: »

Best of luck with the new log, and the road to DCM, your training is going great!

Wow J, your mileage will be huge for this month!!! :D

• Advertisement

7th July: 10 miles @ 10:06 min/mile pace - Avg hr 143, Max hr 159

Bit of an effort to keep it slowish tonight, a ok run, at least I somehow managed to miss the rain.
    RubyK wrote: »
    Tonight garmin connect has a 1.25 mile run in Brazil added to my activities. It was done at half 6 this morning when I was tucked up in my leaba :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

DigiJem wrote: »

Tonight garmin connect has a 1.25 mile run in Brazil added to my activities. It was done at half 6 this morning when I was tucked up in my leaba :pac:

:D I did some cycling in Italy recently it seems... funny I don't remember it :confused:

littlebug wrote: »
    :D I did some cycling in Italy recently it seems... funny I don't remember it :confused:

Well I've got austria & brazil so far, it will be interesting to see what other places we get to virtually train in.

9th July: 5 miles @ 10:45 min/mile pace - Avg hr 134, Max hr 144

Set out determined to keep it slower than recovery pace. Difficult for the first mile but eventually go into a rhythm. Not the most relaxing type of running, I have to keep an eye on the watch too much.

MTD: 43
    YTD: 540.3

10th July: 13 miles with 8 @ pmp

Did 4 easy miles to start, ran from the park to chapelizod and up the hill @ St Lawrence road and back to the park. Next 8 were to be done at 9 min/mile pace. Found it tough to speed up but ok once I got into it. A quick stop for a drink at halfway then off again. I sped up coming down upper glen road; which left me a little time in the bank for the climb up to acres road. I hit max HR of 171 at this point, finished up with an easy mile to cool down - a tough session.

4 miles @ 10:06 pace - avg hr 138
    8 miles @ 8:58 pace - avg hr 159
    1 mile cool-down @ 10:08 pace

MTD: 33
    YTD: 530

This week’s plan, rejigged a bit for the weekend races:

Day|Session
    Mon|Pilates
    Tue|8m with 4m@LT
    Wed|Recovery 4m
    Thur|General Aerobic 7m
    Fri|Recovery 3m
    Sat|Irish runner 5 mile
    Sun|LSR/Dublin mountain plod

11th July: Pilates, a good session, I’m finally feeling some improvement at this, can do some of the exercises that seemed impossible a few months ago.

12th July: 8 miles with 4 @ LT pace
    2 miles warm-up & 2 cool-down (9:53min/mile pace; avg hr 147)
    4 miles @ LT pace (8:10min/mile pace; avg hr 163)

MTD: 41
    YTD: 538

13th July: Recovery run, a lovely lunchtime run in the sunshine. A tad fast - 4 miles @ 10:22min/mile pace; avg hr 141

MTD: 45
    YTD: 543

14th July: 7 miles @ 10:07 min/mile pace. A shortened GA run, muggy to start and got it tough to get going. Improved after a couple of miles and ended up being a decent run. Avg hr 140

MTD: 48, YTD: 545

You look to be going really well with training DijiGem! Good stuff :)

15th July: 3 miles recovery

Almost stuck to recovery pace, settled into it nicely. Still muggy out but a nice drizzle of rain throughout kept it cool. 3 miles @ 10:33, avg hr 137

MTD: 44
    YTD: 541

• Advertisement

16th July - Irish Runner 5 mile.

Very congested throughout, shouldn't complain, great to see so many taking part. It eased after a mile and a half and I got into a steady 8 min/mile pace. The s bends were fine, took a breather down military road getting ready for the kyber. Lots of people stopping and walking here so more weaving. I took it pretty easy and had a nice rhythm going, got a great shout from Shaz & jcsmum which gave me a boost for the last bit, thanks for that! Crossed the line with 40:04, happy with that. A nice run topped off with a few drinks in Ryans afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Good to meet you today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the race, you looked nice and relaxed in Ryans afterwards :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Good to meet you today :)

Likewise Nules, and best of luck with your marathon training. It will be no bother to you

17th July: Dublin Mountain Plod

Plan was to run this as my LSR so another early start and off to Marley Park. It was pretty windy, and looked like rain but it never got too bad. I started off easy enough and was in the last group leaving Marley Park. Got chatting to a couple of runners who were first-timers also. Up Tibraddden Road and onto Cruagh lane, the first couple of miles were ok if a bit breezy

Then into some woody bit, haven’t a clue where, a steep climb and mucky as hell. Slipped a few times but remained upright, I found the ground tough to run through. This was probably the worst part of the race for me, very hard to get into a rhythm but slogged through it.

After that it was ok, back onto some forest tracks, more climbing and then a lovely fast descent which felt great. I didn’t kill myself on any of the climbs and took a walk break whenever required. After the first water station, I took a gel on the next climb to give me a lift, and then it was upwards to Tibradden. I thought this would be worse actually, but the wind was at your back going up which was a great help. Lots of encouragement from the hillwalkers too.

The descent from Tribradden wasn’t fun, trying to keep your footing and lots of jumping over gaps in the path. I was tired at this stage and at times it felt more like hopscotch than running. The 2nd water stop was @ mile 10, and after that it was welcome downhill gravel road so the speed increased again. Exited at Kilmasoghue carpark, and back onto a lovely smooth road. I ran the next 2 miles too fast but I didn’t care, it was great to just run without thinking about stones jutting up and other such traps ready to send you tumbling. Last mile sent us back into marley to finsh

Did it in 2:22:24, avg pace 10:33 min/mile, avg hr 151. Overall, I really enjoyed it but found it very tough, I think I’ll stick to the roads for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great weekend of running DigiJem is tough enough conditions.... Well done

Great work over the weekend DigiJem, well done girl :D

Well done on Saturay and yesteday. I was thinking of you when I was staring to feel sorry for myself in the park yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

New log...sorry I missed that! Good luck with it :). Well done on Sat and Sun but not sure I will ever be joining you on those hill runs. Nearly got blown off Djouce yesterday and I was only hiking it...I did hope you were a bit more sheltered in the Dub mnts.

• Advertisement

18th July 3 miles. Legs felt rough today, both quads were a bit sore so I figured a recovery run would help; time-wise I could only mange 3 miles at lunchtime. Pilates tonight, last class until Sept and we finished with a bloody tough session, I think I’ll be adding my abs to my list of aches. Enjoyed it though, have to try keep it up myself until classes restart.

MTD: 65
    YTD: 562

Plan for rest of the week:
    Day|Session
    Tue|GA 8m w/10x100, strides
    Wed|Recovery 4m
    Thur|GA 10m
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|16m w/10@PMP
    Sun|Recovery 4m

Advertisement