Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Had 2 rest days, so I was itching to get out and run this morning. Didn’t feel anything in the knee until mile 2 and then it was a niggle rather than any sharp pain. Not 100% yet but a lot improved, nearly there I think. Going to switch my Conn entry to the half, I don’t think I’d be able for the ultra this year. Heading off on hols, so some sunshine on my next few runs hopefully.

4 miles, pace 9:30 min, hr 154

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Bon Voyage, lucky you, sunshine

Are you sure you don't want to do the Ultra? It'll be fun:) Not that I know what I'm talking about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Marthastew wrote: »
    Bon Voyage, lucky you, sunshine

Are you sure you don't want to do the Ultra? It'll be fun:) Not that I know what I'm talking about....

+1 on the hols, enjoy the sunshine.

Martha - the half is where the fun is at in Conn this year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Enjoy the break away! Recovery in the sun sounds perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

shazkea wrote: »

Martha - the half is where the fun is at in Conn this year :p

Ah, but I'm not in this for fun:) the Ultra is where the pain is at....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Have a great holiday and get some well deserved rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Enjoy the sun DJ you deserve it after all your hard work. And all the cool people are doing the half in conn :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Enjoy the sun and bring some back!

Marthastew wrote: »
    Ah, but I'm not in this for fun:) the Ultra is where the pain is at....:p

Too true and that's why I'm doing the half :D

A mixed bag of runs while on hols, most pretty ok but the knee and the usual holiday stuff limited the mileage

Feb 29th 4 miles, pace 9:32, hr 154
    Mar 1st 5 miles, pace 9:26, hr 157

Sat 3rd Only decent run of the holiday, up at 7am so got a lovely cool breeze. Really wanted to keep going but the knee hurt for the last mile so I called it a day. 10 miles Avg pace 9:29, hr 168

Mon 5th 4 miles, pace 9:31, hr 155
    Tues 6th Back home, took one look at the rain and decided to go shopping for new runners instead. Did manage to drag myself to pilates last night

Wed 7th A good run this evening to brush off the back to work blues. 6 miles, pace 9:08, hr 164

• Advertisement

Thurs: 4m - slow & sluggish, pace 10:08, hr 148

Fri: 5m - only slightly better, hr pretty high, pace 9:10, hr 161. Christened a new pair of Nimbus tonight, think I might stick in white laces to tone down the pinkness a wee bit.

I registered for this hoping it would be a good training run for Conn, but since my knee wasn’t yet 100% I was in two minds all this week about whether or not to run it. Having seen the forecast gave sunshine, I couldn’t resist it. I routed out a knee support and decided to go for it. I had no idea how to pace this anyway so the plan was to take it easy and just enjoy it.

Arrived in Laragh to sunshine, registered and we were eventually directed onto buses. The bus drivers didn’t seem too sure of the start and drove past it, which left the start a little late but no matter. After a few words at the start line, off we went on a forest trail, it was uphill from the off but not for too long. I settled into an easy pace along the trails on the first descent, until it turned into a mucky path with lots of hurdling little drains and crossing stiles, which meant very stop-start running. After a short road section, it was back onto a muddy uphill path until I came to a bit of queue to cross a stream, had to hold onto a rope and hop across a couple of large stones to the other side. While standing their waiting my turn I had visions of falling in and getting soaked but it was easy enough in the end.

It continued uphill after this, it was mainly single file here, so if someone up-ahead walked everybody slowed down. The path widened and we were descending again, crossed another stream, the marshal told us it wasn’t too deep if we wanted to go through it. I splashed through and it was lovely to get some freezing water cooling the ankles, although it probably didn’t help with blisters. My feet were wet and mucky by this stage anyway so it didn’t matter much.

Another road section, then a much needed water break at the Wicklow gap car park. The next bit was downhill, but tough to keep your feet. I found this section the most enjoyable. It was a real mixture of surfaces; you didn’t have time to notice you were tired; you just had to concentrate on not stumbling on a stone, or slipping on a muddy section. Turned over on my left ankle here, nothing too bad but a reminder to stop gazing at the scenery and keep my eyes on where my feet were landing.

Made it to the boardwalk path, then along the flat section of road. Gasping for a drink, I was glad to reach the last water stop. Into Glendalough, and headed up the trail for the last climb. This was the shortest climb but the steepest I think. Yet another orderly queue formed as we very slowly and gingerly dragged ourselves over the 4 stiles to get to the next section. The HM route veered left and continued to zig-zag upwards for what felt like an eternity. I was delighted to see 12 miles on the watch, the legs were very tired at this stage, and boy was it hot. Downhill for the last bit, and a little trail thru woods back down to the finish. Finish time was 2:34:44

It was a tough run today, I don’t think I’ll ever make a hill runner but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The weather made it top class, with some of the best scenery around, no better way to spend a Sunday morning.

Well done you, sounds like a tough one alright. Beautiful day weather wise which I'm sure helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done and a nice report to boot. With weather like that Wicklow is a great place.

well done DJ great running. Running through rivers :eek: my idea of hell fair play to you

Nice report and run DJ, you almost make me want to give it a go ;)

30 minutes on the turbo trying to ease the muscle soreness in the legs. Later on a 4 mile recovery run, pace 10:13, hr 149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on Sunday's adventure! Sounded like a great one.

Now, time to rest and refresh the legs! :)

13th : 4 miles, pace 9:39, hr 155 + Pilates
    14th : 4 miles, pace 9:26, hr 159
    16th : Intervals - 2 mile warmup then 5 x 800m with 2min recovery (7:40, 7:52, 7:32, 7:49, 7:41). 1 mile cool-down.

MSB 5k.

A nice sunny morning for this one, first half mile was pretty congested so the pace wasn’t great. As it opened up a bit I could see the pace quickening, but not by very much. Pushed on a bit but I was finding it tough throughout. After passing the 3k mark, I thought I was going to be sick but it thankfully passed.

Continued on huffing and puffing until we were heading back to the start. Turning back into Dawson Street, I tried to speed up to the finish line but there was nothing left in the tank at all. Finished with 24.23 on the watch, happy enough with that for now, hopefully I’ll shave a bit off that during the summer.

Avg pace 7:46 min/mi, avg hr 174

• Advertisement

Well done J!

Started off as a 4m recovery run but the pace felt easy so I carried on. Legs haven’t felt this good in ages, yesterday 5k must have shook the sluggishness out of them. 10 miles, pace 9:09, hr 156.

Good stuff DJ and a nice 10 mile today as well

Tues: 6m easy run, pace 9:58, hr 150

Weds: First tempo run in yonks. 1 mile warmup @ 9:54 pace the 4 half-miles @ 9:21, 8:57, 8:23 & 7:47. 1 mile cooldown @ 9:35. Nice to be able to squeeze this in at lunchtime for a change. I entered Cork yesterday, so time to start ramping up the mileage again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again on Sunday DJ! :D
    DigiJem wrote: »

Weds: First tempo run in yonks. 1 mile warmup @ 9:54 pace the 4 half-miles @ 9:21, 8:57, 8:23 & 7:47. 1 mile cooldown @ 9:35. Nice to be able to squeeze this in at lunchtime for a change. I entered Cork yesterday, so time to start ramping up the mileage again.

Jeepers - has it even had a chance to go down yet?! ;)

DigiJem wrote: »

God, you sure don't like resting on your laurels!! :D

Ah good on ya DJ. Might see you there :)

Thanks Nules, hope your hip problem clears up soon.

Thurs: 6m pace run. Roughly following one of Hal’s plans for Cork, tonight had a pace run so set off with the target of 8:45 pace. Did the first couple of miles too fast, then eased off a bit. Found it tough, but better than expected. Avg pace 8:36, hr 162

Nice run in park today, perfect weather for it. 14 miles, avg pace 9:29, hr 156

• Advertisement

Sun: 5 miles recovery – Lovely out, and the legs wanted to go faster than recovery pace but tried to keep it slow. Avg pace 10:02, hr 148

Mon: 7 miles – another nice run, missed the sunshine as it was late before I headed out. Nice and cool. Avg pace 9:04, hr 159

Advertisement