Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

11th – in Galway for a couple of days, up early in the morning to get the recovery run done - pace 9:53, hr 140

12th – planned rest day

13th – unplanned rest day, late home from work and couldn’t convince myself to get the run done.

14th – Back in the saddle after yesterdays laziness, LSR was in the plan. It’s been ages since I ran in the park, chilly but an enjoyable run in the evening sun. 18 miles, pace 9:28, hr 162

15th: 4 recovery miles, pace 10:10, hr 142

16th: Plan had 8 easy miles today, but since I missed the 8 mile pmp last Friday I thought I’d try it tonight instead. From the start the wind was rotten and I really struggled to keep the pace, I packed it in after 3 miles and headed home. Not a good run, serves me right for messing with Hals plan.:pac: 6 miles done, first 3 - pace 8:31, hr 162; remainder 9:19, hr 154

Intervals tonight. Started slow, but got near enough to the target pace of 7:30 for these.

1 mile warm-up @ 10:11 pace
    7 x 800m with 3 min recovery - pace 08:08, 07:38, 07:33, 07:33, 07:26, 07:27 & 07:32
    1 mile cool down @ 9:38 pace

19th: 6 miles, pace 9:19, hr 156
    20th: 3 recovery miles, pace 9:53, hr 149

2 nice easy runs in the sun, taking it easy before Wexford so rest day tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DigiJem wrote: »
    [

2 nice easy runs in the sun, taking it easy before Wexford so rest day tomorrow.

Didn't know you were rcing wexford. Any target time? I hear the 1:45 pacers are excellent :pac:

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Didn't know you were rcing wexford. Any target time? I hear the 1:45 pacers are excellent :pac:

Yeah, looking forward to it. Might have a go at 1:45, that would be a 2 minute pb so the pacers would need to be good :)

Driving thru Enniscorthy on the way down, I remembered the hellish run I had there last year in the half; I hoped the hills around Wexford town were less undulating. I wasn’t sure at all what pace to go for, before I left I put my recent 5k time into macmillan and it reckoned 1:54, I hoped for something closer to 1:45, time would tell.

Got parked nice & early, bit of a walk to registration. A short warmup, then headed to the start. Before too long we were off, I had lined up behind the meno & marthastew with the 1:45 ballons. First two miles were tough and by mile 3 I realised there was no way I could maintain the pace. I eased off, and over the few miles the red pacer ballons gradually got further and further away.

But I was motoring along nicely, pretty relaxed and enjoying the course - Johnstown house and the lake was lovely. The rain was a drag throughout, just when I had almost dried off, another shower would arrive. Passed a Tullamore Harriers runner and said hi, turns out he’s a near neighbour so we chatted for a while about the joys and perils of running around Tullamore.

Avg pace for the first 9 miles was 8:07, but I slowed a lot after that. No specific reason, I just didn’t have it in the legs to keep the pace going.

Finshed in 1:47:53 by my watch. Time was ok, not great, but at least I have a clear idea of where I am in terms of fitness now. Maybe 3:50 is a more realistic target for Cork, and leave 3:45 for Berlin. Not sure & I guess I don’t have to make my mind up just yet.

Enjoyed today, a nice event, well organized and a welcome hot shower at the end. I didn’t hang round for the soup, headed off to find something more substantial to eat, then a nice stroll along Curracloe beach before heading home.

Avg pace 8:13, hr: 170

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Janey Mack, I think that's a brilliant time. 8.07 for the first 9 miles is nothing to be sniffed at. Well done!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Janey Mack, I think that's a brilliant time. 8.07 for the first 9 miles is nothing to be sniffed at. Well done!!!!
    +1 well done DJ. You are doing some brilliant running at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

well done on another super run J.
    You looked fresh as a daisy when I saw you in the castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done J on a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great running DigiJem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

+2....that's a brilliant time DJ, congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

+3 - I'd take that :D

23rd: 4 recovery miles, quads a little sore but overall legs not too bad - pace 10:17

24th: 9 miles, easy pace. Brought my gear to work, and headed straight out afterwards to get the most of the sun - pace 9:25, hr 151

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again on a great time in Wexford DJ :)
    Cork marathon up next yeah?

claralara wrote: »
    Cork marathon up next yeah?

Yeah, I hope to do the River Moy half in a few weeks, but Cork is the next big one.

25th: Plan had a tempo run but I wussed out given the wind and rain, and took a rest day instead.

26th : Did the 45 min tempo run, went ok. 15 min easy then 20 minutes of increasing the pace every 5 minutes (9:09, 8:29, 8:03 & 7:51), 10 min cooldown bringing it up to 5 miles

27th : 9 mile pmp run. Was a bit nervous of doing this one as I made a mess of the last one, the 8 mile. Anyway, it went fine, first few miles were two fast but eventually got the pace right. Avg pace 8:29, hr 157

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the 9 miler.

28th : 20 mile LSR, stomach cramps and a blustery wind made this a pretty grim run, but glad to get the first 20 miler done and dusted. pace 9:32, hr 145

29th : 4 mile recovery run this evening, tough the keep the HR low in that wind and rain, but enjoyed the run despite the soaking. pace 9:54, hr 144

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done on a tough 20 miler DJ. If you managed that with tummy pains and horrible weather you can do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

28th : 20 mile LSR, stomach cramps and a blustery wind made this a pretty grim run, but glad to get the first 20 miler done and dusted. pace 9:32, hr 145

29th : 4 mile recovery run this evening, tough the keep the HR low in that wind and rain, but enjoyed the run despite the soaking. pace 9:54, hr 144

Fair play on the 20 miler... did you do this in the park? Might have passed you in the car when driving out after 10

Fair play on the 20 miler... did you do this in the park? Might have passed you in the car when driving out after 10

Yeah, it was probably me alright, I was plodding my usual loops in the park. Beep next time :D

Apr 30th – 10 miles around town, handy enough apart from the weather. pace 9:36, hr 143

May 1st - rest day, felt tired and I didn’t fancy another soaking

2nd – hill repeats, 7x400m. Last session of hills in this plan, sluggish to start but not too bad. Pace was 8:11, 8:05, 7:54, 7:51, 7:42, 7:58 & 7:45. 5 miles with warmup/cooldown.

Last session of hills in this plan, sluggish to start but not too bad. Pace was 8:11, 8:05, 7:54, 7:51, 7:42, 7:58 & 7:45. 5 miles with warmup/cooldown.

Hey DJ, just wondering what plan you are following? You seem to have a great mix of speed, hills and miles there. I need a new plan!

Hey DJ, just wondering what plan you are following? You seem to have a great mix of speed, hills and miles there. I need a new plan!

I'm doing this one from Hal Higdon, its not too bad. The midweek run is either hills, 800m intervals or a tempo run so there’s a nice bit of variety.

3rd: 5 mile recovery run. Got out from work at lunchtime, great to see a bit of sun again. pace 9:40, hr 149

4th : 10 mile pmp run, not too bad, these are getting slightly easier. Pace 8:30, hr 165

Thanks DJ. Your training has come on leaps and bounds. I will look into that training plan. Gonna swot up on the P&D plans this wkd too but i think they might be a bit daunting yet. Cork for you next?

I did P&D for Dublin last year and found it very good, but it is tough. Yep, I've Cork up next, then Berlin later in the year. I will probably do P&D for Berlin. How about yourself, any races planned?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd love to try P&D for Dublin this year. Sounds like you are twidling your thumbs :):). I did that night run last week and kildare next wkd. Bits and bobs only!

Advertisement