Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

5th: A zillion times better than the last 20 miler, think the sunshine helped. I headed out of the park for the first 10 miles, out to ballyfermot and back, made the mistake of running up chapelizod hill, nearly busted a gut. Back to the car for a gel & drink then did a 6 mile loop in the park. Another quick drink at 16, and struggled to get going again, but this was the only time the legs felt tired so happy with the run. 20 miles, pace 9:31, hr 159

6th: 4 mile recovery run today. Some gaa match in town so lots of cars parked all over the place. Plenty of stop/start running with the traffic and while not pleasant, it did help keep the pace down. Legs are tired, glad next week is a stepback week. pace 9:44, hr 143

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Glad to hear this 20 miler went better for you DJ. you must be feeling pretty confident :)

6th: 6 miles, easy pace. I headed out during a break in the rain. Got 3 miles done, and turned for home with some very black clouds overhead. 2 miles to go and the heavens opened. A flash of lightening and a loud clap of thunder saw my pace quicken for the last mile. pace 9:20, hr 150.

9th: Plan had a 45 mins tempo run, but I wanted to get some hm pace miles done this week. So half mile warm-up, then 4 miles @ 8:00 pace, hr 169 . 1.5 miles cooldown.

10th: 5 miles easy – pace 9:19 pace, hr all spiky

Just a short recovery run this evening. Meant to do 4 but bumped into some friends out walking and strolled home with them instead. 3.5 miles, pace 9:42, hr 147

• Advertisement

12th May – River Moy half marathon

First task of the morning was to clear the frost off the car, nice and chilly this May morning but it warmed up as I headed west to Ballina. I hit a problem at registration, they didn’t have me listed but they soon sorted that out and gave me a chip, number, a nice tee and a very stuffed goodie bag.

My plan for this one was the same as for the Wexford half, try to maintain an 8 min/mile pace and hopefully that would get me home under 1:45. It didn’t work out in Wexford, so this was attempt number 2. After a short warm-up, we were walked down from the rugby club to the start line, a few words from the local mayor and we were off.

First mile felt like it was pretty downhill, I remembered that for the way back as we were finishing along the same stretch. I eased off the pace, as I was going too fast. A lovely run into Ballina town to start with, the river glistening on my right and lots of local support. Crossed over the river at mile 2 and headed out of town. Started to drag uphill about 2.5 miles in, nothing too severe and I knew this was going to continue until mile 6 so I just didn’t worry too much about the pace here, just tried to relax and keep the effort steady.

This part was a lovely rural stretch and this continued until we turned onto the Ballia to Ballycastle road, running on the hard shoulder. This was the only part of the course that wasn’t nice, there was a good bit of traffic plus some roadkill hurdling (yuck!). To be fair the marshals were driving up and down in cars and bikes to slow the traffic down, so it wasn’t too bad and it was only for a couple of miles.

The gradual climb continued until about 5.5 miles where it eased off. I had kept the pace going nicely, and checked the avg pace at mile 6 and it was 7:59, which was great as I was still feeling pretty strong at this stage.

We then turned back onto rural roads, with great views of the Mayo countryside in the sunshine. I took a gel along here, and managed to make a mess of opening it so got most of it over my hands. Support was sparse at this stage, but a few locals were out to cheer us on. One lady had a large table full of water, fruit & other stuff. Grabbed some water to wash the gel from my hands, she told me next year she’d provide vodka in the cups (I think she was joking), it was really nice though.

I knew mile 7 and 8 were downhill, and planned to pick up the pace a little here. Did them in 7:52 & 7:44, which was great to bank some time without too much effort. It was getting tougher to maintain the pace as I turned into Belleck Woods, a lovely part of the course that lifted my spirits no end. My watch beeped for 10 miles but the mile marker was about 40 yards ahead. I checked the time as I passed it, bang on 1:20. That gave me a boost as it was a 10 mile pb by just under 30 seconds.

Out of the woods and back onto the road. Heading back into town now, the river reappeared on my left and I could see the runners on the far side of the bank. It was hurting now, trying to keep the pace up. Back into Ballina town, and across the river again. Miles 11 & 12 were 7:50 & 7:54. I know I’m on target but I start to worry about the last mile being uphill.

Almost there, the last mile was a drag but not as bad as I expected. At this stage I’m not looking at the watch, just concentrating on keeping the legs turning as fast as I can. Ignoring the urge to puke, I see the last sign by the road- 195 yards to go - but I can’t see the finish line. Around a bend and finally it appears, I cross the line in 1:44:27 by my watch. Avg pace 7:55, hr 169.

Very happy with that, it helps with the decision on the Cork target, I’m confident enough now to have a crack at 3:45. Really liked this race, the course is fast and the worst of the climbing is in the first 6 miles. It’s one I’d do again, its nice and scenic, and with great support from the marshals along the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great run, fantastic improvement on Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done DJ. Your consistent training is really sticking to you. Loved the report too.

Well done DJ. Your consistent training is really sticking to you. Loved the report too.

Thanks ,and good luck with your race tomorrow. Hope it goes well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done DJ. Great going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done DJ well deserved after all your hard work and a nice confidence boost for cork too. Lovely report too sounded Like a nice route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats DJ, very, very well deserved result. You make it sound so easy in your report... nice scenery, good support, promise of vodka next year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Super going there J. It does set you up nicely for cork. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Congrats on the super time. Great training is paying off.
    No doubt you'll be hoping for more of the same please in a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Congrats DJ, that's a great time so well done. Definitely a good confidence builder for Cork.

Rest day yesterday, legs were a bit sore so I had a lazy day on the couch. Recovery run this evening, somehow managed to avoid the showers. 5 miles, pace 9:57, hr 142

15th: Sun was shining, always a good start. Headed out of town for 5 miles then back, a nice run, found it tough to keep the pace easy. 10 miles, 9:17 pace, hr 149

16th: Plan had 8x800s tonight. 1 mile warm-up up to the industrial estate where I do intervals. From the off, my stomach was in bits, tried to put it out of my mind but only managed 3x800’s before having to dash home. Couldn’t be bothered heading out again, no point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I somehow missed your half marathon report :confused: Congrats! Sounds like a strong solid run! Training is going great, and you'll crack that sub 3.45 no doubt in Cork.

10 mile pmp run tonight, not too bad. Felt like the wind picked up for the last few miles, or maybe I was just getting tired. Pace 8:28, hr 158

19th: 20 mile LSR. Last of the 20 mile runs, legs felt tired, think the effects of Fridays pmp run was still present. First hour was slow, then I put on some music which increased the pace a little. Struggled for the last 5 miles, had to bribe myself with the promise of an ice-cream to keep going. Not great but it got done, now it’s a 2 week taper. Pace 9:38, hr 143

20th: Felt wrecked in general, so skipped the recovery run and took a rest day

21st: 6 miles, easy pace. Had to get this one done early, so headed out without brekkie which normally doesn’t agree with me. The sunshine perked me up, the legs felt good and it was a struggle to keep the pace easy. Pace 9:04, hr 154

• Advertisement

Enjoy the taper, all the hard work is done!

22nd – 4 mile recovery run in the sun, lovely. Pace 9:39, hr 143

23rd – last tempo run this evening, a short one, just 3 miles. Started at 9:30 pace, then picked up the pace each half mile, did 9:29, 9:01, 8:16 & 7:23. An easy last mile brought me home, it’s been a long time since a training run lasted less than 30 minutes.

DigiJem wrote: »
    22nd – 4 mile recovery run in the sun, lovely. Pace 9:39, hr 143

23rd – last tempo run this evening, a short one, just 3 miles. Started at 9:30 pace, then picked up the pace each half mile, did 9:29, 9:01, 8:16 & 7:23. An easy last mile brought me home, it’s been a long time since a training run lasted less than 30 minutes.

You're on the home stretch now J.... You will have a super race in Cork, enjoy the taper, perfect weather for it:)

25th – 4 mile recovery run, failed to stick to recovery pace, I’m blaming the sunshine. Pace 9:36, hr 149

26th: Spent the day working on my badly neglected garden so it was after 8 by the time I headed out. Nice & cool at that stage, had the latest marathon talk podcast to keep me company, so the run flew by. 10 miles, pace 9:28, hr 145

28th A lazy bbq day on Sunday so didn’t get the recovery run done, did on Monday instead. Felt very hot out, kept it nice & slow. 4 miles, pace 9:47, hr 142

29th: Another easy 4 miler, not as sunny this evening but still warm enough. Pace 9:19, hr 142

Very, very best of luck on Monday J, looking forward to reading your report:)
    Enjoy the celebrations after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck on Monday DigiJem, and smashing the 3.45! Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck on Monday DJ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Very best of luck on Monday chasing your goal, looking forward to hearing how you get on

• Advertisement

See you at the start line J :)

Advertisement