Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

16th - 17k, first longish run since Cork, it felt fine, no probs at all. Pace 5:44, hr 148

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Nice one J. But i am all confused with the kms :D i will have to have my conversion calculator beside me now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Nules10 wrote: »
    Nice one J. But i am all confused with the kms :D i will have to have my conversion calculator beside me now

Me too :D
    Can't work out these new fangled yolks at all

Yep I'm struggling with it myself, going back to miles the day after Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Ah J you've gone to the dark side with those km thingamabobs. You should really put up the 2 stats for us old miler fogies :D

Well done on the "not quite a" 5km pb

• Advertisement

18th: 10k recovery run, tried to keep the pace over 6 min/k Felt ok, hr a little high though - pace 6:06 , hr 148

19th: 17k, easy pace. Lovely run, got to enjoy the sunshine for a change - pace 5:44 , hr 153

20th - 5k recovery, pace 6:05, hr 147.
    21st - 5k recovery, pace 5:54, hr 149.

Was meant to be 10k yesterday but decided to split it over 2 days. That made it easier to get it done during lunch, which suited work wise. A long overdue massage this evening, which was bloody painful so think I’ll take a rest day tomorrow.

Dunshaughlin 10k

I hadn’t run a 10k since last October; not my favorite distance so I tend to avoid them. But I’m having a few weeks of racing the shorter stuff before marathon training starts again, so it was a perfect time to have a go in Dunshaughlin. Previous pb was 48:51 so getting home under 48 minutes was the target.

Got there early enough, picked up the number and a nice tee. I sat in the car grimly looking out at the rain, before eventually running around the pitches as a warm-up. Off to the start, and we were sent off on time thankfully. First couple of k were a little too fast, around 4:40 pace. My pace eased after that but I was motoring along nicely.

Once I got going, the foul weather was forgotten, I don’t remember the wind being a big problem at all. Guy at the 5k mark shouted out 24 minutes just as I reach it, so I was happy I was doing ok. After 6k I was started to struggle, mainly with my breathing. The short hill after 7k also took its toll and I felt I was slowing badly. But that soon passed, and as I hit the 8k mark I knew this torture would soon end. Back into town, and the support gave me a great lift and the pace picked up again for the last bit. 47:50 by my watch, well pleased.

Easy to see why this race comes recommended. Very well organized, marshaled, and a nice route. Great support too; especially given the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great running there J. Another PB in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done J. You're unstoppable at the minute. Shame about the lack of cocktails last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Fair play tonight J. Was so muggy for it. Class act.

BHAA 5k Prison Service trail race

Despite all the running I do in the park, I only run on the paths so I was looking forward to this one. Off we went, it was difficult to overtake for the first k, which probably helped me keep the pace down. The course was mainly dry, just a few mucky spots. The first lap went fine, I settled into a nice rhythm.

Got a yell of support at the end of the first lap (thanks Ro) and headed into the trees and back out to face the dip that raycun had warned me of beforehand. Gravity took over for the downhill bit, and the uphill bit was thankfully short but very sharp.

After that both my legs & lungs were wrecked, there was serious heavy breathing going on. I kept plugging away at it, the drag alongside Chesterfield went on for eternity but once I got to 4k I knew it would soon be over; picked up the pace with the sight of the finish line. Didn't stop my watch at the end; reckon it was just over 25 minutes.

I found it tough on the legs but I really enjoyed it, it was nice to race on grass for a change, I definitely want to try some cross country races later in the year. My first BHAA race, it had a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere (with loads of yummy brack afterwards).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Brilliant running DigiJem on Saturday, another great pb! And a great 5K just days afterwards. Great recovery from Cork! You're in flying form.

27th: 10k @ recovery pace, muggy evening, sweated buckets. Pace 5:57, hr 142

28th: 14k easy run, much nicer this evening, straight out from the office and had a nice relaxed run. Pace 5:43, hr 148

29th: 10k @ recovery pace. Set the watch to vibrate if the pace went under 6:00; which was so annoying for the first 2k that it forced me to keep it slow. Pace 6:04, hr 138

30th: Spent this morning handing out goodie bags at the 5 miler. That served as a good warmup. Back to the car and headed out into the sunshine, which became a downpour 5 minutes later, then blazing sun 5 minutes after that - all a bit grim really. I haven't had a run this bad in ages, couldn't get the legs going at all, they felt like lead throughout. It was a slog, but it is done. 19k, pace 5:50, hr 143

2nd: 14k with 6k @ HM pace
    Hope to do Clontarf at the weekend so though I’d throw in a few HM paced miles. Did 4k easy (5:50), then 6k @ 4:58 – was aiming for 4:55. Finished off with another easy 4k (5:46). An Irish summer shower (aka torrential rain) started about 5 minutes into the faster miles, which made it very tough. Met another runner who gave me a big grin and a thumbs up, nice to know I’m not the only insane idiot out in this sort of weather.

3rd: Today started with a nice surprise, a letter from Cork marathon with cheque for €50, that was for 7th female over 40. 10k recovery run this evening, thankfully only a nice drizzle - pace 6:06, hr 141

Well done on the cheque J, sure twill pay for another race or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

DigiJem wrote: »

3rd: Today started with a nice surprise, a letter from Cork marathon with cheque for €50, that was for 7th female over 40. 10k recovery run this evening, thankfully only a nice drizzle - pace 6:06, hr 141

Congrats on the prize...nice to get it, now treat yourself...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Ah Anne and jcsmum, I am disappointed with your suggestions for how to spend that money :rolleyes:.

J, firstly congrats (aka the buttering you up stage), what you need to do is treat your support team i.e. us. So on the next ART ladies night out (which I will make it to this time!!), you can treat us to champers :D See that way you get to treat yourself too. Perfect solution :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats on that DigiJem. You're now a professional runner so :D

Emer911 wrote: »
    Congrats on that DigiJem. You're now a professional runner so
    Hmm..I think I'd better stick to the day job :D

4th: 15k easy this evening, it felt really good, not as muggy as previous days - pace 5:47, hr 151

Congrat on the prize!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Congrats on taking home the prize. Great feeling no doubt. Makes the performance and PB taste even sweeter.

Late out yesterday so I was glad it was only a short recovery run. 8 k, pace 6:05, hr 132.

Rest day today, then Clontarf, not sure if I'm going to race it. Will see how the wind is blowing, I haven't ran it before so looking forward to it anyway.

Best of luck in Clontarf, another pb on the cards :D

DigiJem wrote: »
    Late out yesterday so I was glad it was only a short recovery run. 8 k, pace 6:05, hr 132.

Rest day today, then Clontarf, not sure if I'm going to race it. Will see how the wind is blowing, I haven't ran it before so looking forward to it anyway.

See you there

Clontarf HM: Woke up assuming the usual wind & rain would be the order of the day but it was only a light drizzle; and by the time I got to Clontarf the sun was shining. Before the race I felt I’d ease off the pace if I was struggling with the wind, I had next week’s 5k in my mind as a plan b. But as I warmed up I was ready to give it a go, not much wind around and I felt good.

I struggled from the start today, felt hot & bothered from the off. By 5k the brain was sending me messages to ease off. Decided to keep pushing until 10k and see but the beach stretch was rough, and once the watch beeped for 10, both body & brain decided it was time to switch to LSR pace. Finished in 1:52:33, not too bothered about the time, in the end it was a lovely run. A nice scenic route that I will try out again sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats on the win DG:D

Advertisement