Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

8th – Nice 8k recovery run this evening after a day lounging on the couch. Pace 6:17, hr 142

9th – another day, another soaking. First day of a 12 week P&D program for Berlin, I’ve rejigged this week as I plan to race a 5k on Wed. Going back to miles, I’m just not bonding with the k’s – so 11 miles, pace 9:33, hr 147

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Are you running in Irishtown?

No, it's the 5k in Kinnegad, a little closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

DigiJem wrote: »
    Going back to miles, I’m just not bonding with the k’s – so 11 miles, pace 9:33, hr 147

Thank jebas for that :D I'm not able for the km's :)

• Advertisement

Headed over to Kinnegad after work, picked up the number, and sat in the car hoping the rain would blow over. It did thankfully, and I had a nice half mile jog down to the start as a warmup.

Plan was to have a crack at sub 23, my pb of 23:46 is getting old, I ran it in Leixlip last year.

The start was the usual manic madness, but it eased off pretty quickly and I got into a steady pace. Went thru the first k in 4:37, a little slow but that was fine. 2nd k was bang on pace, then we turned into a narrow boreen for the next 2 k.

Slowed a bit along here, not too much but I knew getting under 23 was slipping away. Hoped I could find some seconds in the last k but it wasn't to be. I kept plugging away as we came back into town, and did manage a sprint (of sorts) to the line.

Finished in 23:13, didn't get the sub 23, but a pb so I'll just have to settle for that for now. Compared notes with Shaz & Mr Slow at the end, over a very welcome coffee, and a couple of ham sambos. A nice route, and a well organised race.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done DJ. That's a great time for someone who is carrying a half marathon in the legs. Anything else lined up?

Anything else lined up?

No races planned, I stared marathon training this week, so back to the long slow runs for the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done J, a PB is a PB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Welcome back from the darkside to the miles logging again :D. Well done last night on your PB, sub 23 is around the corner for you. I'm still reeling from the revelation you don't like bourbon cream biscuits :eek:

• Advertisement

12th – 11 mile medium long run, started out in drizzle but it cleared up nicely. Legs were fine from the previous evening race. Pace 9:24, hr 148

13th – unplanned rest day, got dragged to a bbq after work (with little resistance) so skipped the planned 6m recovery run.

14th – 8 miles, the first general aerobic run of the P&D plan, I’d forgotten how slowly these are run but the legs were sluggish today so it suited. Pace 9:36, hr 142

LSR today, 16 miles with 8 @ pmp

I started with 6 miles @ LSR pace (9:29, hr 146) then back to the car for a quick drink and started the 8 paced miles. First couple of miles were fine, a little fast. It took a while to settle into a consistent pace. Was struggling by mile 4, and a few welcome cooling showers helped over the last 4 miles. Pace for the PMP miles was 8:21, hr 163

2 easy miles to bring it up to the 16 (pace 9:30, hr 161), parched and wrecked afterwards, this was the toughest session I’ve done in a long while.

8 miles at that pace mid-LSR sounds so tough. I'd say your legs were wondering what was happening..Sunday is meant to be the slow day! Well done, good session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Oh thank god i can understand you again now :D miles rule

Nules10 wrote: »
    Oh thank god i can understand you again now :D miles rule

+1
    :)

16th – 12m MLR - Legs not too bad after Sundays efforts, sluggish enough to slow me down for the first few miles. Soon got into it, and the first 8 miles flew by. Stopped back at the car for a drink, and found it tough to get going again. Wind had picked up which didn’t help, anyway got it done. Pace 9:27, hr 146

17th - 5m recovery - Tired legs were happy with a recovery run this evening, struggled and failed to keep the hr under 140. Pace 10:15, hr 142

18th – 11m MLR – Bit of a slog this one, no particular reason just found it tough. Pace 9:30, hr 111 :confused: – hmm, think I might new a new battery for the hr strap

19th – rest day

20th – Plan had 9 miles with 4@ LT pace. This fitted nicely with a 6k nearby in Belvedere House. Arrived early and registered, then headed off on the hard shoulder of the busy N52 to get the initial 4 miles done – pace 9:18

Back to Belvedere, pinned on the number and jogged down to the lake about 5 minutes before the start. Lough Ennell was glorious in the sun, I could have happily sat there and soaked up the too rare sunshine but we were soon lined up and sent off. Plan was to run the 6k at roughly half-marathon pace, but it was a tough enough route on a narrow forest trail. I relaxed, ignored the watch and enjoyed a very welcome change of scenery. Finished in 31:08, not LT pace but it felt like a good workout none the less. An easy mile afterwards to hit the 9 miles in the plan.

21st – 17m LSR – hamstrings were tight starting out, a mixture of some gardening and the previous days run. Fine once I got going, a very relaxing LSR. Pace 9:35

22nd – 5m recovery run – quite blustery out, so very easy to keep it slow today. Pace 10:09

23rd – 9m GA run, headed out into the rain and it never stopped, got saturated, skipped the 10 x 100m strides. Pace 9:36, hr 145

24th – Rain stopped play, brought my gear to work but I just couldn’t face another soaking so I took a rest day.

25th – 14m MLR – the midweek long runs are starting to creep up in miles, but it was a thankfully nice evening for running. Did the first 10 miles, then grabbed a drink at the car and finished the last 4 miles. Pace 9:25, hr 147

26th - 12m MLR, pace 9:32, hr 145
    27th - 5m recovery, 10:08, hr 137

Two cracking runs, its amazing what a little sunshine can do for the soul.

• Advertisement

28th – 17m LSR - Arrived early in the park and sat looking out at the rain, eventually got going on the 10 pmp miles. First one too slow, next one too fast, and so on - got it very hard to settle at 8:22 pace. Rain eased and that improved things, avg pace was a little fast, but got them done. Pace 8:16, hr 157

Back to the car to meet some boardies for a very nice 7 mile run. Legs were shattered for the last mile, spent a good time stretching afterwards. Pace 10:02, hr 150

29th – Finally moved off the couch this evening, to get the recovery miles done. Was tempted to skip it, but the legs felt like they needed it. 5 miles, pace 10:08, hr 134

30th - 13m, pace 9:36, hr 152 – ok run, no major probs, pitstop at 8 miles for a drink and got it hard to get going again.

31st – 15m, pace 9:39, hr 151 – hellish this one, soaked to the bone, cold and a crappy stomach to top it off. Glad to get it done.

This is the last week of the plan that has double midweek longish runs, thank flip! I found it hard time wise to fit them in. That’s July done, 245 miles

Wow a 13 followed by a 15 mid week! Fair play to you thats tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That’s July done, 245 miles

ooh, just beat me. You should put your runs in on the 1000 mile challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on the double long runs! Sounds like a pretty tough plan you are following. You are a real hard worker! Great going DigiJem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

17m, 13m, &15m all within 4 days...thats great training..Well done.

1st: Legs tired after the 2 longish run, so this recovery run was needed. 5 mile, pace 10:15, hr 142

2nd: Was away with work so knew I had to get this run done very early, plan had 10 miles with 5@ LT pace. Had a row with the snooze button however, and it won :o so no running. Lazy digijem! Had a massage later in the evening, hopefully it will knock some of the tiredness out of my legs.

3rd: Legs a bit sore after massage so took it easy today. A mile warmup, them 2 miles @ LT pace, followed by 2 easy miles.

18m, pace 9:26, hr 147 - Started off in the rain with jcsmum & TBW, nice chat for the first 7 miles. It started to fell tough at mile 9, took a gel but I didn’t get any great lift from it. Never felt comfortable after that but anyway got it done. Legs wrecked, hopefully it's just the effect of the massage and the increased mileage. Next weeks a step back week so that should help.

18m, pace 9:26, hr 147 - Started off in the rain with jcsmum & TBW, nice chat for the first 7 miles. It started to fell tough at mile 9, took a gel but I didn’t get any great lift from it. Never felt comfortable after that but anyway got it done. Legs wrecked, hopefully it's just the effect of the massage and the increased mileage. Next weeks a step back week so that should help.

Hope the retail therapy was more enjoyable. Don't know how you faced it!

• Advertisement

Headed out after watching the marathon, a nice recovery run. 5 miles, pace 10:07, hr 139

Advertisement