Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

12th – 5m recovery run, 9:56 pace , hr 139

13th – 10m, pace 9:10, hr 130 – lots of spikes on the hr, don’t think that 130 is right. Anyway it felt easy enough, did the 10 miles as per the plan, and ignored the bit about the 6x1000m @ 5k pace :o

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

DigiJem wrote: »
    12th – 5m recovery run, 9:56 pace , hr 139

13th – 10m, pace 9:10, hr 130 – lots of spikes on the hr, don’t think that 130 is right. Anyway it felt easy enough, did the 10 miles as per the plan, and ignored the bit about the 6x1000m @ 5k pace :o

those intervals are tough sessions at the best of times but 6x1000 sounds nuts, so good call

Any taper madness yet?!

Any taper madness yet?!

No, no sign so far. In fact I've never been as relaxed about a marathon

Good luck with the half at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Excellent, long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Good luck with the half at the weekend

sub 3.30 so?? :)

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »

sub 3.30 so?? :)

No chance, sub 4 is the plan.  I decided a few weeks ago that I'm not racing this one, just going for a nice easy run around Berlin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck tomorrow J.

I'm trying to not even think about the small matter of the 26.2 miles in Berlin, and am just focusing on getting myself to the Oscar Wilde in one pint consuming piece! See you there ;)

15th - Athlone Half marathon

A short drive to Athlone, picked up number, tee and a goodie bag. A pack of blue tack in the goodie bag had me scratching my head though:confused:

The start was probably the only aspect of the day that was badly organised. It was chaotic but once we were off and running, the road widened and that made it easier. I had planned to go with the 1:45 pacers but couldn’t find them at the start. After the first half mile they popped up beside me with a group of about 20 runners.

The first few miles felt a little fast but as it was breezy I thought it best to stay in the group. I only managed to stay with them for the first 6 miles, after that I was slowly slipping back from them. But I wasn’t slowing drastically and I felt comfortable enough. Started to chat another runner around here, and we ran together until the end. It certainly helped, and the miles flew by. Right ankle/calf started to ache a little around mile 10, but other than that I had no major issues.

Messed up my watch at the start, it had 1:47:48 at the finish but my chip time was 1:48:06.

I was happy enough with the run and the race. It’s a nice event; hopefully it will stay on the calendar as it’s a decent alternative to the race series half. A very flat course too, definitely one for a pb attempt.

Ran back down the road a little to cheer on my brother who was doing his first half. He was aiming for 2 hours and missed it by 5 seconds - I think he might have caught the racing bug, he was all talk afterwards about signing up for another one to get those few seconds.

16th – 5 miles, pace 9:36. Hr 150 - Legs sluggish and I can still feel a slight strain just above my right ankle. Lot of icing should sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done J. Training is looking good for the big one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on the half.
    I hope you enjoy the taper and no madness creeps in;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on the half DigiJem :) Not long to go now, mind the ankle/calf.

Well done J! A flat half you say?!?! Must add to my 2013 calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Well done J! A flat half you say?!?! Must add to my 2013 calendar.

:D That's exactly what I thought too. It has to be a lot less congested than the park too.

Well done DJ and yeah watch that ankle in the final few weeks.

:D That's exactly what I thought too. It has to be a lot less congested than the park too.

QUOTE]

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Starts with an R and ends with a p! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done. Sounds like a very comfortable run for you. Looking good for the biggie ;)

Yup, any excuse really! Cupcakes too or is that still only birthdays :D

Yup, any excuse really! Cupcakes too or is that still only birthdays :D

There never needs to be a reason for cupcakes.

There never needs to be a reason for cupcakes.
    Ah cool, can I put an order in for Sat then ;)

Ah cool, can I put an order in for Sat then ;)

Yeah no worries, what flavour :rolleyes:

QUOTE]

I'm not sure Athlone is ready to cope with the pair of ye :p but I'm sure if you bring cupcakes they might let you in

Mine's chocolate K :D

• Advertisement

I'm not sure Athlone is ready to cope with the pair of ye :p but I'm sure if you bring cupcakes they might let you in

Mine's chocolate K :D

Oi cheeky, no cupcakes for you now DJ :pac:

My vote is for choc too and we can share DJ's out amongst us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done J, next stop Berlin:)

8 easy miles tonight, run ended midway through the Zola Budd interview on marathontalk, will have to finish that on tomorrow's run. Pace 9:26, hr 143

19th - Massage and the legs were battered so no running afterwards.

20th – 5 recovery miles, pace 10:00, hr 145

21st - Another easy one, hands were freezing at the start, time to invest in a stash of Penny’s gloves. 5 miles, pace 9:45, hr 151

Got this done while the GAA match was on, so the roads around town were nice and quiet. Got the listen to the rest of the Zola Budd interview which meant time flew by. Love the way she described running as her Prozac, very true. 12 miles, pace 9:21, hr 148

Postie brought a new pair of Nimbus 14s so I was itching to christen them. Orange for a change, beats the pink ones and they’re nice and bouncy, might wear them for Berlin. Wet & cold out, not liking this change of weather. 5 recovery miles, pace 10:08, hr 144

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Training has been very consistent DigiJem, so confidence must be high. Hope you have a great race and weekend. Looking foward to reading your report Enjoy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Got this done while the GAA match was on, so the roads around town were nice and quiet. Got the listen to the rest of the Zola Budd interview which meant time flew by. Love the way she described running as her Prozac, very true. 12 miles, pace 9:21, hr 148

Love that podcast. Listened to part 1 of Zola Budd last week - was a great listen. Have part 2 lined up for Wed night!

Every now and then I go back and re-listen to some of their early ones, I pick them specifically based on the topics (hydration/ sport physiology/ doctors / speed work etc).
    They must do one on taper madness to help us through the coming weeks...........

Love that podcast. Listened to part 1 of Zola Budd last week - was a great listen. Have part 2 lined up for Wed night!

Every now and then I go back and re-listen to some of their early ones, I pick them specifically based on the topics (hydration/ sport physiology/ doctors / speed work etc).
    They must do one on taper madness to help us through the coming weeks...........

Yeah, they're a great distraction on the long runs all right. Good luck with your taper madness, its great fun really :)

• Advertisement

25th: 7 miles in total tonight - 2 easy miles, then 2 slightly quicker than PMP. 3 easy mile to finish. Only one more run to go!

Advertisement