Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Good luck at the weekend. Hope it all goes to plan. Enjoy the apres-run too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good luck on Sunday Digi. Have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Good luck on Sunday. Look forward to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck on Sunday, hope its a brilliant day for you. Enjoy your weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

When are you flying over? Should catch you at the hotel before, if not: best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

DJ, best of luck on Sunday, You have been doing great training. Heres hoping your day goes better than planned. Enjoy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Younganne wrote: »
    DJ, best of luck on Sunday, You have been doing great training. Heres hoping your day goes better than planned. Enjoy!:D

best of luck on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

menoscemo wrote: »
    When are you flying over? Should catch you at the hotel before, if not: best of luck!

Best of luck yourself meno, I'm mid-packing at the minute! I'm leaving tomorrow evening around 6ish, see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Have a great weekend and race!!!! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the good luck messages! Last run done, a short recovery run this morning, nice to loosen the legs before heading off. 4 miles, pace 9:50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck DJ! Looking forward to your report. Enjoy it!

Arrived in Berlin late on Friday night, got a good night’s sleep before heading to the expo early on Saturday. Spent as little time there as possible; just picked up my number and headed back to the hotel.

Wandered down to the Start/Finish area, so I knew where everything was located. The streets around the Branderburg Gate were full of other runners doing the same thing. I was trying not to do too much walking around but I was going stir-crazy sitting in the hotel on such a sunny day, so I headed back down later to watch the inline skating and enjoyed a few hours in the sun. Had dinner later with Vagga, and Memo who was struggling with an injury and unsure if he was going to be able to race, and sadly he was right.

Race morning was a calm affair; I walked with the throngs of runners until I made it to pen F about 10 minutes before the start. The worst thing about waiting around for a race start is that it gives you too much time to think, and I was soon navel gazing about my build up to the race.

When I signed up for Berlin, I had planned on it being my A race for this year. After getting under 3:45 in Cork, I though 3:40 would be a realistic target. So I started a 12 week P&D program, and everything went ok for the first month but the mileage started to take its toll. I was training hard but struggling; physically I had lots of niggles and was feeling wrecked; and mentally I wasn't enjoying my running at all. After the Longford half part of me wanted to call it a day but I really wanted to run Berlin so I decided on a softer target time (3:55) which took some of the pressure off.

The announcer calling out the elite line-up woke me from thoughts, and I remember thinking Fook it, that’s all in the past, just go out and enjoy it.

Soon the gun fired, I could see nothing only hundreds of blue balloon drift upwards into the sky. Slowly we were shuffled up towards the start line, it only felt like a few minutes but it was 9:09 as I crossed the start line. It was incredibly crowded and people were zigzagging about the place so I just focused on making sure not to trip for the first mile. I found the blue line pretty much straight away, and although I tried to stick to it I ended up with 26.64 miles on the Garmin.

My pace for the first few miles was bang on, and I soon relaxed and made a conscious effort to look around me and soak up the atmosphere.

I could write for a long time about the support on the course. The crowds that didn't just gape and politely clap, they shouted, yelled, rang cowbells, hit pots and pans and various other instruments. Every junction seemed to have a different band or music of some kind; from samba bands to an old guy with a wind-up music box. From mile 1 to the end the atmosphere was electric.

The miles were flying by, my pace was fairly consistent and I was feeling very comfortable. It was warm enough so I took water at most of the stations, although that cost me a few seconds every time. The water stations were mental, the roads were very slippy and the noise of runners crunching through hundreds of discarded plastic cups was the only thing that drowned out the cheers from the crowd.

I hadn't brought a pace band, I was just checking the garmin at every mile – thought I was doing ok pace wise so I was disappointed to go through half-way just under 1:59. Checked my avg pace and it was 8:55 so I decided to stick with what I was doing and speed up later on if I felt good.

At mile 19 I tried to speed up, by about 10 to 15 seconds per mile. This was ok, and although the legs were starting to tire I was moving nicely. After mile 23 it was a struggle to keep that pace but we were heading towards the finish, so I tried to dig in and keep the pace strong for as long as possible.

My quads were on fire for the last 2 miles, and as my watch beeped for mile 26, I still couldn't see the Branderburg Gate. Finally after one last sharp turn I was running on Unter den Linden; only it looked nothing like it did on Saturday. A line of cheering crowds either side screamed us on. I suddenly realised I was crying (morto! :o) WTF? I have no clue why, just a release of emotion I guess. Anyway I quickly composed myself, and started the run up to the gate. I wasn't going flat out now, I was savouring every second of it and didn't want it to end. Under the gate and there was still a bit to go. A glance at the watch and I saw I cutting it tight to get under 3:55 so I had to quit waving and cheering and sprint the last 200 meters to the finish. Home in 3:54:40, avg pace 8:49 min/mi, avg hr 164

Not my fastest marathon but definitely my most enjoyable. I’d still swap the experience for a faster time, and I would love to go back to Berlin and chase a pb someday. But for now, a short break from running and hope to come back with batteries recharged and ready to go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

great report! and well done on hitting target time - soft or not. The warm day would have made it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sounds like you had a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Aw that's a lovely report. I'd say you've sold Berlin to not only me but loads others. Well done on what sounds like a truly enjoyable experience. Enjoy the break now!

You had a plan for the day, you went out an executed it and you really enjoyed the race and event. Plain and simply that's the way to do it. Brilliant

These kind of reports make me want to run every bloody marathon... all I need now is someone else's legs and someone else's money!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Great report J, well done! Sounds like a great experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thats a great report and you made it all sound so enjoyable and like you really did soak up the atmosphere. Well done, looks like you followed and achieved your plan perfectly!!
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sounds like a great one to do DigiJem! Glad you enjoyed it. Relax for a while, recharge the batteries, and you'll be raring to go again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

DigiJem wrote: »

A glance at the watch and I saw I cutting it tight to get under 3:55 so I had to quit waving and cheering and sprint the last 200 meters to the finish. QUOTE]

:D You sound like the queen!!
    Lovely report Joan as usual. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Excellent Report Joan, I was cyber following your race, great stuff. Hope to see you in the pub after DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hey DigiJem, great report. Really nice to meet you in the pub afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done, sounds like a brilliant day out there, delighted it went well for you. Oh, and great report as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats again J, super report of a super day:)
    It was great to catch up in the pub after, looking forward to the next post-race drinks with you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Lovely run and report J. Your making me want to do Berlin next year now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Damm you DJ, you have me wanting to break my ban on marathons after reading that :rolleyes:. Congrats it sounds like you had a great run and a lovely report.

Congrats on the pacing gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Welcome to the 5hr bus DJ!

• Advertisement

Congrats on the pacing gig!
    belcarra wrote: »
    Welcome to the 5hr bus DJ!

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Advertisement