Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

DigiJem wrote: »
    Thanks, looking forward to it.

Fantastic J!
    How is the recovery going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Fantastic news on the pacing - it'll be such a good day :)

Hope you're feeling well after your great run in Berlin. Catching up on the logs today after a short hiatus and reading your report properly reminded me that I was actually there - it jigged a memory or two. I genuinely didn't recognise the streets of the city the following day! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

jcsmum wrote: »
    How is the recovery going?
    Recovery went great, I took a complete break and I'm feeling really good. Back in the saddle today.

16m LSR - I had planned to run the BHAA XC today but had some stuff going on in the house this morning so I wasn't able to make it in time. Pity, but I'll hopefully get to christen the spikes soon. Instead I headed to the park for a long run, nice & handy, with a 99 in the sunshine at the end. Pace 9:36, HR 131, lots of spikes in the hr so that's a little low i think.

5 miles tonight, just got out for a short run. I haven't run in rain in ages and it was lovely once I got going. Came home soaked and happy. Pace 8:59, hr 153

16th - 8 miles, straight from the office and somehow managed to avoid the rain. Uneventful run, pace 9:17, hr 160

18th – 5 miles, this one felt a little sluggish. A close shave with a blind car driver didn't help. Pace 9:38, hr 156

• Advertisement

20th – later than planned arriving up to the park, did two 7m loops nice & easy. Cut the last loop short as it was getting dark. HR was going nuts so I took it off after the first loop. 18 in total, pace 9:31

Just a few recovery miles tonight, 3 miles, pace 10:56

22nd - rest day

23rd – unplanned rest day - Not running to any plan at present which makes it way too easy to skip a run

24th – 5.61 miles, pace 9:23. My ocd for round mileage has gone awol!

25th - 5 miles easy tonight, pace 9:58

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Pair play to you for pacing DigiJem, hope you have a great day :)

Good run tonight, nice & crisp out. 4 miles & 1 @ pmp - avg pace 9:35

An overdue catch-up

Oct 29th - DCM 5 hour pacing - a very distant memory now, but one of the highlight of my year, had a great time.

Oct 30th - 2 miles, 10:16 pace - a short recovery run in the park, cut short after 2 miles, had a sharp pain in left knee. Took the rest of that week off to let it settle.

Nov 4th - 6 miles, 9:11 pace - Knee felt fine, the rest seemed to do the trick
    Nov 7th - 5 miles, 9:21 pace - can't even remember this one.

Nov 11th - 14 miles, 9:19 pace - I had entered the marathon in sixmilebridge so I wanted to get a half decent long run in to test the knee. It didn't go well, knee started to complain at mile 10, and was very sore by the time I got home. That ruled out sixmilebrige, and more rest days required.

Nov 17 - 4 miles, 9:20 pace. Just a tester to see if knee was ok. All good, so the plan now is to gradually increase the mileage and see how it goes. Grabbed a Berlin entry online too.

Nov 18th - 5 miles, 9:20 pace. Out into the freezing rain, felt slow and sluggish until the last 2 miles when I did some strides and picked up the pace.

• Advertisement

Not a great week running wise

20th – 5 miles, 8:56 pace

21st/22nd – unplanned rest days

23rd: 6 miles, 9:19 pace – straight out from the office. Never warmed up on this, felt cold despite the several layers I had on.

25th : 8 miles, 9:07 pace, hr 159 – finally found my hr strap. Nice run this one, rainy and cool, just how I like it. Knee a little tender by the time I finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Sorry to see you missed out on sixmilebridge J:mad: I hope the knee gets sorted for you soon

Nov 27th - A slow & sluggish 5 miles, pace 9:25, hr 157

Nov 28th – Had to get an early train for a work thing, so had planned to get 6 miles done very early. Up at silly o’clock and out the door, only to find the paths in ice. Gave up after a few minutes of slipping around and headed home. Pulled the turbo out of its summer storage and did 40 minutes on the bike. Not great but better than nothing.

Nov 29th - 4 miles, pace 8:16, hr 157 – a lunchtime run, short & sweet. Circuit training in the evening, went with a mate just to try it out; good fun but my attempt at push-ups was fairly pathetic.

Dec 1st – I had entered the Jingle Bells 5k but had to work this morning, so a short run this afternoon was all I managed; hopefully will get a longer run in tomorrow. 5 miles, pace 8:56, hr 157

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Fair play on getting up early before your train...bet you cursed that ice and wished you stayed in bed tho! How's the knee?

Fair play on getting up early before your train...bet you cursed that ice and wished you stayed in bed tho! How's the knee?
    Yep I’m not an early morning runner, there was a lot of cursing alright. The knee seems fine now, I just got to be patient about building up the mileage

Dec 2nd - As per physios instructions I’m adding just 2 miles to the LSR each week so today’s was a 10 miler. So off into the rain and a nice easy plod around town. They were switching on the xmas light this evening so ran through the town center for a change. Bit of a mistake as the streets were really crowded, some xmas market was going on. Still a nice buzz about the place. 10 miles, pace 9:27, hr 147

Tue 4th – A quick lunchtime run plus circuit training in the evening – 5 miles, 8:46 pace, hr 159

Thur 6th – An uneventful run around town after work – 6 miles, 9:09 pace, hr 155

Sat 8th - Headed to the park after a spot of xmas shopping. Late start but did an initial loop of 9 miles, it was getting dark quickly. Back to the car to grab the head torch but it was dead. Did another couple of miles up & down chesterfield before calling it a day. So nice to run in the park again. 11 miles, pace 9:22, hr 155

Sun 9th - Very cold and foggy out tonight, busy doing nothing all day and left this run too late. Glad it was just a short recovery run. Tried out a new Aldi base layer which did the trick and kept me very warm. 5 miles, pace 9:45, no hr

Week 1 of Conn training and I only managed 4 runs, not great but plenty of time to get back up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Don't know how I missed your log. Brill Berlin report :). Lovely to meet you at the Dublin marathon.

Look forward to following your Connemara training and hope the knee behaves .

Mon - Planned rest day

Tues - 0.12 miles according to my Garmin, out the door, a few seconds of slipping and sliding then walked home much to the amusement of my neighbor.

Wed - 6 miles, 9:26, hr 153

Thurs - Had hoped to get out, but felt wrecked so the couch won. Lazy bones.

Fri- 5 miles, Pace 9:21, no hr

Sat - 6 miles, Pace 9:11, hr 156

Sun - 14m LSR, I hadn't time to head to the park so trotted around town. I visited hit every industrial estate in the town in an effort to avoid shopping traffic. Nice run, the heavens opened after an hour and I got a nice soaking. Pace 9:29, hr 142

Another week of just 4 runs, I have no work travel next week so that should make it easier to hit the 5 runs.

20th - 6 miles, pace 8:58, no 151
    21st - 5 miles, pace 8:37, no hr
    22nd - 16 miles, pace 9:36, hr 165
    23rd - 8 miles, pace 9:23, hr 132
    Don't remember much about the pre-xmas runs only there was too few of them.

27th - Took 3 days off at xmas, so after all the excesses I felt like a beached whale on this one. Pace 8:50, hr 158

28th - Another 7 miles, a better run. Pace 9:21, hr 150

30th - 16 miles in a squall. Tough one with the wind blowing, meant to do 18 but had enough at 16, cold & soaked. Pace 9:30, hr 141

31st - 4.5 recovery miles this evening, just to bring the yearly total up to 1890. Pace 10:15, hr 145

Tom Brennan Memorial 5k Race

Decided late yesterday to run this, which meant I had a reasonably well behaved New years eve. I arrived early to register, it was brass monkeys at that stage. A quick chat with younganne and then headed off to warm-up. I felt much better once I got moving and ditched several layers in the car before heading back to the start line.

No real plan or expectation with this run, I never have with a 5k, just run it and see what happens. Off we went, I tried to keep the pace steady for the first mile. It felt slow so I was surprised to see 7:35 on the watch - I hadn’t bothered to change it to K's. I kept plugging away, the breathing was getting rougher, 7:37 & 7:34 for the next two miles. Tried to speed up for the last wee bit, and was very happy to see the finish line - done in 23:54

About 30 seconds slower than my pb so it wasn't that great but it went better than I expected and I enjoyed it. A nice start to the year, glad I dragged myself out today and ran it.

• Advertisement

6 miles this evening, pace 9:41. Quads a little sore from yesterday so took it nice and easy.

Another easy 6 miles after work, my normal route had roadworks so I had to go through town, lots of annoying stop/start with traffic. Lots of new faces out running as well, plenty of friendly waves. Pace 9:51, hr 145

Stealing Pistol's table...

Month|Miles|No Runs
    Jan|15|3
    Total|15|3

Well done on the 5k! Best of luck for 2013! We want lots of shiny new PBs J! :)

Late afternoon starting this one, so left the car on Chesterfield and only did the first 14 miles around the park. Lot of showers and a stiff breeze made this tough enough. Ran out of daylight so left the park for some street lights for the remainder. Last few miles were rough on the legs, but overall it went ok.

20 miles, pace 9:39, hr 158

20 miles already J, wow. You sure don't hang about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Great running there.
    Are you training for anything in particular? You are within reach of ...almost anything:)

Are you training for anything in particular?

I've entered Conn, hope to do the Ultra, if not the full. I ran the half last year and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

DigiJem wrote: »
    I've entered Conn, hope to do the Ultra, if not the full. I ran the half last year and loved it.

Ah brilliant, hope the weather was like last year too :). Good luck with either the full/ultra training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wow, great running at the weekend DigiJem! Love your consistant hard work and training. You'll storm through the ultra :)

• Advertisement

Last run for a few weeks, I'm having a very minor op to fix a non-running problem. No biggie but it means 2 or 3 weeks without running; can't be helped.
    So tonight was a run without the Garmin, nice & relaxed, about 6 miles i reckon.

Advertisement