Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Aug 18th: 4 mile recovery run with strides.

Back to normal, a rainy summer evening. 4 easy miles, with 6x100m strides towards the end. Avg Pace 10:20 min/mile, avg HR: 135

A lovely sunny morning in the park. Aim was to run as many 8 min miles as I could, so I started out about halfway along wave 1. First 2 miles were spent trying to get past people, finally got into a rhythm around mile 3, went fine up to Wellington road. Struggled a bit along the path from mile 5 to 6, just too narrow here for all the runners. Most of the remainder was fine, tried to keep the pace going. I nearly died coming up acres road - it went on forever, but finally it ended. Chip time of 1:20:29 - Pretty happy with the run, think I can get under 80mins on a good day.

Avg Pace 8:04 min/mile, Avg hr 166, max hr 180

Aug 21st: 5 mile recovery

Legs felt like lead today, and I was feeling pretty sluggish in general. First couple of miles were rough, it was very easy to keep the pace down today. In Wexford for the week, so headed into Gorey for the run, nice to have a change of scenery.

Avg pace 10:47 min/mile, avg HR 126

Plan for this week

Day|Session
    Mon|Rest
    Tue|Recovery 6m
    Wed|Medium-Long run 14m
    Thur|Recovery 6m
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|Recovery 6m & 6x100m strides
    Sun|16m with 12m @ PMP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great run in the 10 miler DigiJem! Sub 80 for your next 10 miler ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

what a fantastic time. Well done you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done DJ, brilliant running, amazing time!!

Aug 23rd: 7 miles recovery run, Avg HR 136, Avg Pace 10:52 min/mi
    Went along a forest trail that ran beside the shoreline. A bit too hilly for a recovery run but took it nice & slow.

Aug 24th: 14 miles LSR, Avg HR 146, Avg Pace 9:42 min/mi
    Drove into Gorey again, and did two out and back runs of 6 miles, out towards Courtown until I ran out of path. Added 2 miles around the town at the end, must have covered every inch of the Gorey. Pretty hot for this one.

Aug 25th: 5 miles, Avg HR 147, Avg Pace 10:29 min/mi
    2 miles down to the beach, then a mile along the beach. Found running in the wet sand tough, and the HR went a bit high. Worth it to clear the head, a lovely run. 2 easy miles back to the house.

Aug 27th: 16m with 12m @ PMP

Plan was to try speed up a bit from previous pmp run. I was trying to keep it at 8:44 min/mi pace. Last few miles were tough, but overall not too bad.

2 miles warm-up, pace 09:36
    12 pmp miles, pace 8:40, avg hr 158
    2 easy miles to finish, pace 9:55

Aug 29th: 4m recovery run, with 6x100m strides

This run was meant to happen yesterday, but I had a very lazy day on the couch watching telly. Dragged myself out this evening and did 4 miles and the strides, it should have been 6 miles. Avg pace 10:22 min/mi, avg hr 136.

It feels a bit meh at the moment; need to give myself a good kick up the backside. Thankfully it’s a step back week, so the plan for rest of week:

Day|Session
    Tue|Rest
    Wed|Gen Aerobic 8m
    Thur|VO2max 8m with 5x800s
    Fri|Rest or 5m recovery run
    Sat|14m LSR
    Sun|Gen Aerobic 8m with 8x100m strides

Aug 31st : 8 miles, avg pace 9:42, avg hr 144.

A bit more organized today, brought my gear to work and headed straight out. I ignored the garmin and just ran at a pace that felt ok, I knew it was too fast for GA miles though. Still, first time I done 200 miles in a month so that’s a plus.

MTD: 201
    YTD: 828

• Advertisement

DigiJem wrote: »
    first time I done 200 miles in a month.

MTD: 201
    YTD: 828

That's fantastic milage DigiJem! Great work :)

Sept 1st: 8 miles with 5x800m @ 5k pace

First attempt at the vo2 max session last night.  Didn't go so well, pace should have been 7:40 and I didn't get even close.  Did 8:07, 7:56, 7:51, 8:02 & 8:02 for the intervals, with 2 minutes recovery in-between.

Just couldn't get any speed going at all, anyway just one of those bad sessions.  2.5 miles before and after the intervals to bring it up to 8 miles.

3rd Sept: 8 m GA miles with 8x100m strides

Pleasant run this evening, the sun was shining which helped. Ran up to charleville and did a mile around the forest trails. A bit mucky in some parts which reminded me to look up some cross country races for this winter, definitely want to try that this year. Headed home and stopped at the usual flat spot and did the 8 strides. Watched by a group of rabbits sitting out in the evening sun, cute. 14 miles tomorrow, hope to make it to the park in the afternoon. Avg pace 9:42, avg hr 144

Sept 4th - 14 mile LSR

Was guided by accuweather, and left the run until after 4. Its forecast was spot on, the rain showers had gone and it was a lovely sunny evening. A nice run if a little fast for LSR pace. Avg pace 9:34, avg hr 145

Plan for this week:

Day|Session
    Mon|7m recovery with 6x100m strides
    Tue|11 with 7 @ LT pace
    Wed|Rest
    Thur|Med-long 12m
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|20m LSR
    Sun|5m recovery run

Sept 5th: 7m recovery with 6x100m strides
    Knew I would have problems fitting this in today so split the run into 2. Did 3.5 miles @ lunchtime, and the remainder tonight. Probably not ideal but ok for a recovery run I hope. Getting soaked twice in one day isn’t fun though. Avg pace 10:45 min/mile, avg hr 136

Sept 6th - 11m with 7 @ LT pace

Found this really tough with the wind blowing this evening. Definitely worked hard, shattered afterwards, happy to have a rest day tomorrow. Pace for the 7 Lt miles was 8:24, avg hr 178. Plus 2 miles warm-up and 2 cool-down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

That's some mileage you're doing DJ, well done.

Sept 8th - Med-long run 12m

Nice run this evening, straight out after work to get it done before dark. Not much else to report, left lower calf a bit tight afterwards so lots to stretching this evening. Avg Pace for 9:51, avg hr 146

Sept 10th: 20 mile LSR
    Met up with the group in the park for this one. Started with a nice run up to Inchicore and through the war memorial garden, then back to the park for another loop. Took a gel at miles 10 & 16. Great to get a run of 3.5 hours on my feet without any niggles afterwards. Avg Pace for 10:34, avg hr 146

Sept 11th: 5 recovery miles this evening. Nice & calm out, no sign of the wind & rain as yet. Avg pace 10:47, avg HR 134

Plan for next week:

Day|Session
    Mon|8m with 5x600m@ 5k pace
    Tue| Med-long 12m
    Wed|Rest
    Thur|5m recovery w/6 x 100m strides
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|Dublin HM
    Sun|17m LSR

Sept 12th: Was dreading this one, the wind & rain looked pretty grim. Once I out in it, it turned out to be not that bad, and much better than my last vo2max session.

5 x 600m, avg pace 7:21, avg hr 164 with under 3 min walk/jog between intervals. Brought it up to 8 miles with 2.5 miles either side of the intervals as a warm-up/cool-down – avg pace 9:47, avg hr 145

• Advertisement

Sept 13th Out later than planned and felt very sluggish to start. The wind soon blew the cobwebs away and it ended up being an enjoyable run. 12 miles, avg pace 9:47, avg hr 139

Sept 13th: Legs feel in good nick, largely thanks to sports massage yesterday. Tough to stick to recovery pace today. 4 miles, avg pace 10:17, avg hr 136, with 6 x 100m strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Great running this week DJ well done you are flying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

see you in Ryans Saturday?

RayCun wrote: »
    see you in Ryans Saturday?

Yep, I’m on the train on Saturday so I’ll pop in for a bit before heading home.

The start felt much less crowded than the 5 & 10 mile races. Moved off fairly smoothly, if anything my pace was too fast for the first mile. Slowed down and got into a nice rhythm until passing the Wellington monument. Slowed here as I felt that hill and the long drag up chesterfield which went on & on. Back on track pace wise for mile 7 but I struggled again along the North road with the wind; took a gel and pushed on. Once I made it to mile 11 I was able to pick up the pace again.

Even though I knew the hill and the drag up Acres road was going to hurt, it still felt never-ending. I wanted to push the pace a little here but the legs were having none of it. Finally I saw the finish line and got a little spurt of speed from somewhere.

Chip time of 1:47:18, happy with that as its a few minutes shaved off my pb. A few drinks in Ryans afterwards to round off a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done DJ great running there. Chesterfield ave was tough alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done! and well deserved drink :)

Sept 18th: 6 miles recovery. Tired from yesterday so a recovery run was all that could be done today. Didn’t bring a watch so no idea of pace other than it was easy running all the way

Plan for next week:

Day|Session
    Mon|Rest
    Tue| 9m with 5x1000m @ 5k pace
    Wed|MLR 12m
    Thur|8m gen aerobic
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|18m LSR
    Sun|Rathfarnham 5k

• Advertisement

Wow, great time DigiJem! All the hard work is paying off. Roll on this day 6 weeks ;)

Advertisement