Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

11th: 3 miles, 10:08 min/mi, was supposed to be a lunchtime recovery run but heavy rain arrived halfway thru, so I sped up to get home.

12th: 10 miles, 9:47 min/mi, avg hr 143 - Just 14 weeks to the 50k in Donadea so time to get back into the long runs. Started with an easy 10 mile run. Really mild & sunny out, a nice run.

13th: 4 miles, pace 9:43 min/mi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Donadea 50k eh DJ? And then what… are you considering braving a Conn ultra?! ;)

No chance, 50k is enough for now. I hope to do the full in Conn, I've a entry deferred from last year when I got injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

DigiJem wrote: »
    No chance, 50k is enough for now. I hope to do the full in Conn, I've a entry deferred from last year when I got injured.

Ah, I knew you had intended doing Conn this year and thought you were taking the next (maybe silly!) step. Forgot you had deferred for injury. Best of luck with it all.

Interested to see what plan you're following for the 50k. My Conn training shall be kicking off at the start of December :eek:

14th: 40 min on turbo. A work colleague lent me a Carmichael training dvd, so I tried some of the intervals. Bloody tough, I was fit to die after 40 minutes. Got really hot too, even with the windows open, I must get a decent fan.

15th: Out before the match kicked off, 4 miles easy, pace 9:35 min/mi.

• Advertisement

16th: Straight out from work, really mild, headed back to the car after a mile to drop off the running jacket. 7 miles easy, pace 9:45 min/mi.

17th: 4 miles easy, pace 9:48 min/mi. Tough at times with the wind gusting, stopped @ 3miles and did 6x100m strides.

19th: 14 miles, 9:42 pace. Sweated buckets, not sure if the cause was the weather or the previous nights wine. Back to the house at 7 miles for water then off again. Must have covered every street in town, a lot of stop/start running dealing with traffic, must head up to the park next weekend.

20th: 7 miles, 9:44 pace. Could felt yesterdays run in the quads. Colder tonight but I still had to take off the running jacket after a couple of miles.

Tues 22nd: Did nothing on Monday, skipped the normal turbo session as I had a sports massage. Legs were pretty tight, so it was a little more painful than usual. 4 miles on Tues, felt a bit sluggish in general and it was more of an effort than it should have been. 4 miles, avg pace 9:56 min/m, avg hr 149

Wed 23rd: After a long and frustrating day at work, I headed out with little enthusiasm for doing 8 miles. Put on some music and headed off at an easy pace, immediately relaxed and forgot about work crap. Didn’t look at the watch, just kept the pace easy, legs felt a lot better tonight. One of the best runs I’ve had in ages. 8 miles, avg pace 9:48 min/m, avg hr 152

Thurs 24th: Very rough out for this one, got soaked but a nice run nonetheless. 4 easy miles with 6x100m strides. Avg pace 9:47 min/m, avg hr 149

Fri 25th: Was to do a 3mile recovery run, but couldn’t fit it in at lunchtime. After work I decided an evening on the couch would do me more good than heading out into the cold.

Sat 26th: Met the group and headed off for the first 6mile loop of the park which flew by. Did a second loop, adding in a detour up Knockmaroon hill, and another loop around Castleknock to get the additional mileage. Nice to run in the park again, the wind was crazy at times but really mild. 16 miles, Avg pace 9:49 min/m, avg hr 151

Sun 27th: Another lovely run in the winter sunshine, a bit faster than planned but the legs felt good so why not. 8 miles. Avg pace 9:34 min/m, avg hr 149

Next weeks plan, a step back week:

Day|Session
    Mon|x-train
    Tue|4 miles
    Wed|8 miles
    Thur|4 miles with 6x100m strides
    Fri| 3 miles recovery
    Sat|10m
    Sun|10m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great going DigiJem, the 50K will be no bother to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the Lsr, can't believe you are up to that mileage already. Scary!!

Thanks K, I had my fill of tempos and intervals before DCM so I’m happy enough to keep the pace easy and gradually build up the mileage. You're belting out some speedy runs, I reckon you could be in for a very good run in Waterford.

Mon 28th: Was a lazy sod and skipped the planned turbo session

Tues 29th: 4 freezing miles. Avg pace 9:38 min/m, avg hr 145

Wed 30th: Very tough to head out the door into the wind and driving rain tonight. It was ok once I got used to it, turned into an enjoyable run in the end, especially the sections where the wind was with me, felt I was flying at times. 8 miles. Avg pace 9:47 min/m, avg hr 149

Dec 1st: Very late home from work, and just too tired to do anything. 2nd skipped session of the week

Dec 2nd: Tempted to do yesterdays skipped run but thought better of it and stuck to a short recovery run. Tried to go as slow as possible, which was surprisingly easy. 3 miles. Avg pace 10:51 min/m

Dec 3rd: I must tot up the miles I’ve done on this pair of runners, they feel a little dead for the last few times I wore, time to get a new pair of nimbus I think. 10 miles. Avg pace 9:50 min/m, avg hr 145

Dec 4th: Up early and out the door. A perfect run, a cool crisp day with a gentle drizzle. 10 miles. Avg pace 9:36 min/m, avg hr 149

Next weeks plan:
    Day|Session
    Mon|x-train
    Tue|4 miles
    Wed|9 miles
    Fri| 3 miles recovery
    Sat|18m
    Sun|10m

Dec 5th : Turbo session, 60 mins. Finally I managed an hour on the turbo. The addition of a fan to keep me cool, plus some footie on the telly helped.

Dec 6th : 4 miles. Avg pace 9:38 min/m, avg hr 147. Sluggish for the first mile but picked up the pace after that.

Dec 7th: Out straight from the office, very chilly out but I warmed up soon enough. 9 miles. Avg pace 9:46 min/m, avg hr 155 but hr had a good few spikes on this run.

Dec 8th: 4 miles, avg pace 9:32 min/mi, avg hr 156, more spikes. Stopped at 3 miles to do 6x100m strides. Unusual to see activity around the council depot at night, the gritters were there tonight, loading up with salt and heading out. Frost must on the way

Just a short 3 mile recovery run tonight. Very tough to go slow when it's so cold out. 3 miles , avg pace 10:29

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Very tough to go slow when it's so cold out.
    Had pretty much the same thing when I was on the bike this evening, very heavy traffic was making it hard to move at all, and it was bloody freezing! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Dec 5th : Turbo session, 60 mins. Finally I managed an hour on the turbo. .

Well done on the milestone - they can be quite boring without some decent TV to distract you.

shazkea wrote: »
    Well done on the milestone - they can be quite boring without some decent TV to distract you.

Thanks, the telly helps alright, I've asked Santa for some decent box sets :)

• Advertisement

Dec 10th: 18 miles, avg pace 9:44 min/mi, avg hr 156. Decided on Donadea for a change of scenery and to check out the 5k loop. I started off passing Santa’s cabin and a few stalls selling xmas stuff. Around by the icy lake, I then made a couple of wrong turns on what I thought was the correct loop. It was the 3rd loop before I got the route spot on, and celebrated that with a pit stop at the car for a drink and a gel. Then I ran around some random trails for a bit before doing 2 more 5k loops to bring me up to the 18 miles. Found todays run tough, not sure if it was the cold, or the quietness of the place. Anyway, at least I have an idea of what I’ve let myself in for in February.

Dec 11th : 9 miles, avg pace 9:40 min/mi, avg hr 154. Could feel yesterdays run in the legs, tired badly from mile 7 on, so slowed the pace a bit and made it home handy enough in the end.

Next weeks plan:
    Day|Session
    Mon|x-train
    Tue|4 miles
    Wed|8 miles
    Fri| 3 miles recovery
    Sat|20m
    Sun|10m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Wow DigiJem you are really getting the miles in fair play to you.

Dec 12th: turbo, 60 minutes

Dec 13th: brass monkeys out there tonight. 4 miles, avg pace 9:48, avg hr 204... hr gone wonky again

Dec 14th: . 8 miles, avg pace 9:40, avg hr 152. Started out gingerly to make sure the paths were clear. No sign of ice or lingering snow, only a couple of places when cold slush remained.

Dec 17th: Had to work so the planned 20 mile run wasn’t on the cards, I hoped I’d manage 10. I couldn’t relax on this run, trying to avoid the icy spots. It was getting worse when I had done 6 miles, so I called it a day and headed home. 8 miles, 9:37 avg pace, avg hr 150.

Dec 18th: Had to be up early to fit a run in today, so out the door at 8am hoping to get at least 10 done. It lasted only about 200 yards, the paths were just too bad. Not worth the risk of a fall so I decided to call it a day and walked back to the house. Did 90 minutes on the turbo, better than nothing.

Between work and xmas stuff, I missed a couple of the shorter runs as well, so a week to forget on the training front.

Dec 20th: 4 miles, avg pace 9:33 min/mi, avg hr 154.
    Dec 21st : 8 miles, avg pace 9:40 min/mi, avg hr 157.

2 decent runs, legs felt great after massage on Monday and the few days rest last week. Looking forward to the 20 on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

God, the thought of a 20 miler....
    Obviously the training is going according to plan....well done.

Dec 22th: 3m recovery run, avg pace 10:30min/mile. Christened the latest pair of Nimbus 13s, my 3rd pair, I really must try something else next time.

Dec 23rd: First day off work so headed off to the park for a long run. Great day for it, felt like summer at times with the sunshine.  Nice run but the traffic heading home was crap, half of Dublin was heading out the M4.   20 miles, avg pace 9:40, avg hr 155.  

Dec 24th: first few miles were tough with the wind blowing and a bit of tiredness in the legs. Ran into town for a change, quite funny to see the panicked faces of the last minute shoppers, and the agro drivers stuck in traffic. Not much xmas cheer so i left them to it and ran up to Charleville forest for a bit of peace and quiet. Eventually, with sanity restore I headed home, avoiding the town centre madness. 10 miles, avg pace 9:42

Rest day tomorrow, all set to pig out on the turkey and trimmings. Happy Xmas all :pac:

• Advertisement

Dec 26th: Santa brought a new garmin so I spent the first mile playing with it, then the novelty wore off. Felt sluggish, little sleep and too much food made this run rough. 5 miles, avg pace 9:50 min/mi, avg hr 144.

Dec 27th: A lot better today, a really enjoyable run. 8 miles, avg pace 9:32 min/mi, avg hr 150.

Advertisement