Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Planned rest day on Sunday, and an unplanned one yesterday. 4 miles this evening, an easy one to warmup, then 2 miles at 9mi/mile pace just to remind the body what it’s like to run at that pace again. Finished up with an easy mile. Pilates tonight, took that pretty handy, I don’t need any new aches at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Best of luck in Donadea... tapering nicely there

Last 2 runs of the training plan, 2 easy runs:
    15th – 4 miles, pace 10:09, hr 141
    16th - 3 miles, pace 10:18, hr 146

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DigiJem wrote: »
    Last 2 runs of the training plan, 2 easy runs:
    15th – 4 miles, pace 10:09, hr 141
    16th - 3 miles, pace 10:18, hr 146

looking forward to it?
    Looks like you'll have a nice mumber in the 4.45 pace group. The course didn't measure in any way long on my Garmin last year so a nice consistent 9'09 pace will do. Last year I took the mile 'laps' off the garmin and just hit the lap button as everytime I crossed the finish line.
    It's worth bearing in mind that the first half of each 5k lap is slightly uphill. Last year I remember averaging about 8'35 for the first half of each lap but being on 8'20 pace by the end of the laps. Worth bearing in mind so you don't panic when you see a slower pace at the beginning of each lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck on sat J, looking forward to reading the report

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    looking forward to it?
    Yeah, I haven't raced since Dublin so I cant wait
    shazkea wrote: »
    Good luck on sat J, looking forward to reading the report

Thanks Shaz

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You've done an amazing amount of running over the last few months, I expect you to have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Very best of luck on Saturday DJ. I have no doubt you will run a great race. Enjoy it and I look forward to the race report

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

You've trained brilliantly DigiJem, and will run a cracker of a race!! Looking forward to reading your report :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

As I said to RQ - See you in the morning. Will say best of luck and congratulations now as I doubt I'll be nothing but a thundering beast beforehand and dead on my feet afterwards! :)

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    As I said to RQ - See you in the morning. Will say best of luck and congratulations now as I doubt I'll be nothing but a thundering beast beforehand and dead on my feet afterwards! :)

Thanks and good luck yourself, see you down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

The very best of luck tmrw DJ. You have trained so hard you deserve a great race and I've no doubt you'll run one. Looking forward to your report.

Donadea 50k, finish time 4:50:48

When I entered Donadea last year, the sole purpose was to keep me honest over the winter and to try something new. I'm a lazy sod at heart and I need a target race to keep me focused, so I googled a 50k plan and off I went.

14 weeks later, I arrive in the lovely setting of Donadea forest, where the rain had cleared off. I was pretty relaxed before the race, usually the butterflies are dancing in the tummy but I didn't feel nervous at all today. Because of the 5k loops, I figured if it went pear shaped I was only a few miles from the car, I think that helped.

Headed off with CL and Marthastew, but soon realised I wasn’t going to be able to stick to their pace so I eased off. I was aiming for 9:09 pace, that wasn't straightforward, the first half of the 5k loop is slower, it has a few little uphill drags. Not that you could call them hills but they were by the time I got to the last few laps. The 2nd half of the loop is quicker, so you make up what you lost in the first half.

The first 20 miles or so were uneventful, the odd chat with a runner, but for most of it I was running on my own. My one worry before the race was the amount of times I would be lapped, I thought this might be a bit grim. It wasn't a problem at all, almost all of them gave me a word (or a grunt) of encouragement as they passed.

By mile 23 it was starting to hurt, my pace was dropping. It got progressively worse as each mile went on, my legs were tiring badly. I passed the marathon distance without even realising it, but somewhere around this time I took the first of many walk breaks. I really didn’t want to walk, cause its so hard to get going again but in the end I had no choice.

I probably made a mistake with nutrition , I took gels at mile 5, 10 & 15, along with an energy/ electrolyte drink and some water along the way. Picked up a nakd bar at mile 19 but felt a bit queasy so didn’t eat it. I didn’t take on any more gels either, I just couldn’t stomach them, instead I relied on the energy drink.

My splits tell the story, pace was 9:06 up to mile 23, then dropped to 9:30 for the next 3 miles. With the walk breaks, the last 6 miles were done at 10:29 pace. The last lap was like a scene from the living dead, a lot of runners out there at that stage were doing the survival shuffle, along with a mixture of hobbling and walking. Finally I got to the end, lots of lovely cake around at the finish line but the tummy was still rough and I couldn’t eat any (this was the biggest disappointment of the day :()

I am probably making today sound worse than it was, I never once thought about not finishing and overall it was a great experience, I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Plenty to think about in terms of doing the ultra in Conn, the reality of almost 5 hours on my feet hit home today, not too sure if I could manage 6.5 or 7 hours of it. Plenty of time to ponder on that. For now, I'm just going to focus on recovery for the next week, then just see how the legs are after that.

Well done DJ. I'm just in awe of what you did. I think you made it sound like you were crawling on your hands and knees to the finish....then I looked at your time and I thought that you certainly were not!!!! Well done. Enjoy the rest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Super run DigiJem, well done girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Super running DJ and congrats on your 50km PB :D

As you say lesson learnt on nutrition strategy but from reading the logs, you're not alone in having problems. Most important thing tho is you powered through it. Roll on Conn

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done UltraDigiJem. Nice to meet you, if only for those brief few seconds. Great running yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done DJ you did great. Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done J, am in awe. Super running and achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Great to meet you yesterday, super race report. Fantastic result.
    I wish I'd given you cake to bring home.... I'll bring some to Connemara:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Digi. Great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great run on Saturday DigiJem, congrats on a fantastic achievement!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done again DJ - your report sounds a little like mine with the stomach issues. Couldn't stomach much at the finish line myself until Mr. Stew pulled out rice crispie treats. :)

What gels were you using? I'm wondering if it's the fact a couple of my gels had caffeine in them thats causing me problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

In the lead-up to the NYC marathon last October, the ICS laid on an evening with Marie Murphy (Olympic marathoner in Seoul '88) to discuss nutrition, etc. She advocates taking no more than one gel over the course of the entire marathon distance. I pointed out to her that the majority of 'noise' on the matter suggests 2-3 per hour but she put that all down to marketing from the companies involved. I can't remember the full details of the talk now but she was very helpful and thorough in answering questions on the matter.

So, I'm just thinking that if you are feeling like you have dodgy stomachs during the run then perhaps you've had too many gels?? I didn't take any gels on Saturday and felt great throughout (apart from one stage at the start of the final lap where I took a little lucozade sport on board). I did take half a banana about 4-5 times and 250ml of nuun-water another 4-5 times. This seemed to set me up for my best-feeling marathon+ distance run ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Interesting. I'm pretty sure Brendan O'Shea told us to take them every half hour or so. I don't train with gels but before DCM 2011 I never had issues from the gels and I've always used the same ones(though I've thrown the ones with caffeine into the mix so I'm assuming it's the caffeine). I think it was from mile 15 onwards I didn't take anything on other than a bit of lucozade and water and the legs felt fine yesterday and today so the lack of nutrition didn't drain the legs (the slow warm down may have helped :rolleyes: )

Previously I used SiS go-gels in DCM, and was just about able to manage 5 of them. On Saturday I used the Gu gels, they did have caffeine.  I had tried them on long runs but I hadn't taken as many. Thankfully, I had the High5 tabs in the drinks I left on the table, but I need a better solution for Conn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Super! Well done DJ :)

Bit of a catch up. Tried a recovery run on sunday evening, it only lasted a few hundred yards. Legs were in bits with a sharp pain on the inside of my left knee. Stuck to the turbo on Monday and Tuesday, the knee was fine on the bike and it helped shake the muscle soreness out of the legs.

Wed 4m, pace 9:58, hr 149. Headed out in the rain and legs were sluggish but ok. All good until just before 2 miles and the knee pain appeared. Headed home, it was pretty sore by the time I got there.

Thur 3m, pace 10:09, hr 147. Loads of icing the knee, and a knee support to see if that helped. It did a bit, much less pain but it's still a problem. Think I'll just make it worse if I keep running on it, so back on the turbo for a few days, and try again I guess

Dont be disheartened. You ran a savage amount of miles last wkd and its just your bodies way of screaming "Give me a rest". Enjoy the timeout as you'll be back running soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry to hear that, mind yourself

Advertisement