Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway lads weekend away.

Options
  • 28-06-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Hello, im stuck in a bit of a rut here. Im planning on heading to Galway on the 9th - 11th of July. I need a hotel that will take early 20 year old lads and have a late night residents bar. It must be fairly cheap and near pubs. I don't want a place where I have to get a taxi to maybe just a short walk. A restaurant is not a must or a leisure centre. I tried cheaphotels.ie and other sites and I can't seem to find anything decent.
    Can anyone here point me in the right direction, anything from personal experience and places to avoid?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭UPCurley

You could try Jurys, which is literally at then end of Quay Street where is a nice lively area with lots of bars/restaurants, etc. Something in the middle of city centre would suit you. I have heard the Victoria Hotel caters to large groups and younger age groups. It's walking distance from everything but I'd pick Jurys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

If you moved away from the city centre, you'd probable get a better deal. There are plenty of hotels on city bus routes or within a 20 minute walk; in particular look at Salthill. Galway Bay Hotel or Salthill Hotel. For better value, try the Clybaun Hotel (5km from city centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I'm in the same boat as well. Me and some of my mates 5 of us are going to galway in the galway festival week.

i have booked a self catering apartment for 400 but that's to pricey and ideas on cheap accommodation ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

UPCurley wrote: »
    You could try Jurys, which is literally at then end of Quay Street where is a nice lively area with lots of bars/restaurants, etc. Something in the middle of city centre would suit you. I have heard the Victoria Hotel caters to large groups and younger age groups. It's walking distance from everything but I'd pick Jurys.
    They sound good but its only the price, got a quote and it seems a bit expensive. I don't really mind what star the hotel is. cheers.

Wow.
    Sorry, didn't realise the prices were so dear this time of year in town.
    Your only bet is to go a bit further out.

Would you consider Corrib Village as an alternative. It's 50 per night and it's only a mile or two from town.

http://www.laterooms.com/en/hotel-reservations/3389_corrib-village-hotel-galway.aspx

I know they don't have a late bar, but for that price, you could rent out a hotel room somewhere for staying on late.

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat as well. Me and some of my mates 5 of us are going to galway in the galway festival week.

i have booked a self catering apartment for 400 but that's to pricey and ideas on cheap accommodation ?

thanks

Corrib Village might be right up your alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

thanks

Be forewarned. Check the small print when booking holiday apartments. The owners can chuck you out if more people stay than what is booked in or if the sleeping capacity is exceeded. I know of two separate incidents where this has happened.

PS €400 is a great price for five lads for a week. That's €80 per head for the week.

UPCurley wrote: »
    Wow.
    Sorry, didn't realise the prices were so dear this time of year in town.
    Your only bet is to go a bit further out.

Would you consider Corrib Village as an alternative. It's 50 per night and it's only a mile or two from town.

http://www.laterooms.com/en/hotel-reservations/3389_corrib-village-hotel-galway.aspx

I know they don't have a late bar, but for that price, you could rent out a hotel room somewhere for staying on late.

i will have to check corrib out as its exactly were my budget is.

one of the lads have a car so we'll be grand

i'm just wondering Is this an irish based company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Try Garveys just outside the train station, no frills, has residents bar, nice breakfast and bar staff are sound.

• Advertisement

i'm just wondering Is this an irish based company ?

I'm not sure if it is or not.
    It's a good way of getting a list of comparables based on price, star, etc...

I then usually go direct to the hotel to book it, as if they aren't the same price, 9 times out of 10 the hotel's website will give you a better rate as these third party websites usually tack on a small extra charge.

Sometimes evening ringing the hotel and asking if they can do better can shave off the price of a pint or two. :pac:

Any idea's? Even if its like hotel Rwanda. I can't find one in cork or Galway and im not sure where to go:rolleyes:cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Burren Mount??....

Quality

Any contact number? It looks like something from the 80's Soviet era. I'd say it would be cheap, thats more like it. So cheap they have no website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Plug wrote: »
    Any contact number? It looks like something from the 80's Soviet era. I'd say it would be cheap, thats more like it. So cheap they have no website.

This thread has 'useful' info and 'reviews' on it ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71994476

Advertisement