Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fishing in rathescar, co. louth

• 28-06-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

hi all, im a bit of a beginner so apologies in advance...
    im thinking of heading up to rathescar lake just outside dunleer/drogheda and was just looking for a few tips.
    firstyl do i need a permit and if so how much is it and where can i pick one up.
    ive heard theres plenty of roach and some breem to be caught, what sort of bait/hooks should i be using and whats the fishing like at this time of the year???
    also is there any other good fishing spots around drogheda, i remember hearing about a lake on the north road near monasterboice, any ideas??

cheers
    tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Hey tom Rathesar is a good little spot for the roach and a great place for the beginner!
    You dont need any permit to fish and is free to all as long as you dont litter.
    A basic stick float with a few shot weights and a size 16 hook should do it. You can plumb the depth either or fish 3/4 down.
    As for bait you can use all sorts, the roach in this place eat everything but red maggots seem to do the trick.
    When fishing keep to the small chanels and away from the main lake until winter when the weed dies down. This time of year is goood to fish but my favourite was winter to fish for pike bait.

When i first started fishing in rathescar, 5 or 6 years ago in july i was using sweet corn hook bait and caught a crusian carp.
    Iv tried countless times to catch one again but all iv caught were roach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joebud

Any body have any idea what fish are in Rathscar lake near Dunleer
    and is it possible to fish there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

joebud wrote: »
    Any body have any idea what fish are in Rathscar lake near Dunleer
    and is it possible to fish there

I would have thought the posts above answered this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Silversun

Sorry to bring this post back, thinking of heading up this direction soon. Has anyone fished here recently and is there anywhere else near by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Silversun

Went to Rathscare over the weekend, the place is full of decent roach. Only thing is nearly every fish I caught was coverd in black spots? Never seen this before!

• Advertisement

Silversun wrote: »
    Went to Rathscare over the weekend, the place is full of decent roach. Only thing is nearly every fish I caught was coverd in black spots? Never seen this before!

That's Black Spot Disease, caused by a fluke. It happens in over populated waters with small roach or Rudd and is a sign they are run down due to over population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

So taking a couple of these for piking is a bad idea? Would the disease spread into other venues even if you froze the bait?

idnkph wrote: »
    So taking a couple of these for piking is a bad idea? Would the disease spread into other venues even if you froze the bait?
    Yes, bad idea. Some countries ban the use of any diseased deadbeat but I don't think we do. I, personally, wouldn't use them; just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Yes, bad idea. Some countries ban the use of any diseased deadbeat but I don't think we do. I, personally, wouldn't use them; just in case.

Cheers for that. Was planning on taking a few trips there during the summer months with the sprogs and keeping 4 good ones each time in preparation for winter.
    Definitely won't be doing that now.
    I wonder is there anything that could be done? If it's because there are too many fish in it would getting the fisheries to net it and dispose of some to make it a healthier venue?
    I don't think there are any pike in it so there are no natural predators making a dent in the stocks apart from a few birds and maybe perch ( if there are any in it).

Advertisement