Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a Website

Options
  • 28-06-2011 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Could you guys give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay to have someone build a WordPress Website for a charity.

There was a previous website in place and there is access to the content and we would like to use the existing charity logo/banner and content which was on the previous website. Domain and hosting are in place.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jgalvin

If you have to engage a graphics designer then there's a full spectrum and the cost for that would depend on your budget. For the actual development part, cutting up the Photoshop images, creating the Wordpress theme, etc., the cost of development is very cheap, for a charity you should be able to get it for free as long as they don't have to perform future maintenance / upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scrunchy

The plan is to maintain/update ourselves. Content wouldn't change on a regular basis.

We want to use the existing logo from the old website, the template we had would be fine too but not sure whats entailed in using this.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

jgalvin wrote: »
    If you have to engage a graphics designer then there's a full spectrum and the cost for that would depend on your budget.

Agreed, depending how complex you want to make the custom design, but it'd range from low hundreds to 4 figures.
    jgalvin wrote: »
    For the actual development part, cutting up the Photoshop images, creating the Wordpress theme, etc., the cost of development is very cheap, for a charity you should be able to get it for free as long as they don't have to perform future maintenance / upgrades.

I've seen prices for PSD to WordPress themes range from $150 to $1000, depending on the quality of the conversion i.e. number of different page templates, design variants, if it's fully widgetised and has WP menu support, SEO friendly, cross-browser support required, etc etc. Very much a "you get what you pay for" deal.

The alternative is to buy a decent paid theme from ThemeForest or similar, and customise that with the organisation branding and logo. Quick, cheap, and good quality.

(If you want to go that route and do the whole thing in house I'd be happy to give you a free membership to SelfAssemblySites - link in my signature - PM me.)

Trojan:

Thanks for the offer of a free membership, I don't really know what that means but it sounds great.

I can't PM you as I don't have enough posts, I had a look at your website, it looks great by the way.

Could you PM me as I can't PM yet.

Thanks again

@Trojan:

I can't PM you as I don't have enough posts, could you post here or PM me please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

SelfAssemblySites

wow $447 a year for membership. He could get someone to fix the site and prob teach him to do it himself for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

For a charity?

Free - Surely you can get someone who will do it for free.

I don't know anyone who would do it for free in fact I don't know anyone who does Web Design.

If anyone here would be interested in offering their services, please let me know.

We are a registered charity.

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

scrunchy wrote: »
    @Trojan:

I can't PM you as I don't have enough posts, could you post here or PM me please.

Will contact you via PM - apologies for the delay, I didn't subscribe to this thread.
    amen wrote: »
    wow $447 a year for membership. He could get someone to fix the site and prob teach him to do it himself for that.

That's exactly what we do - teach people how build their own sites, so they have more flexibility and control over their websites. If $447 is outside your budget you can signup for a month for $77, and soon we're adding a trial option of 2 days for $2 if you want to try it out. It's not for everyone - some people just want a site built for them, but for others it's better to educate themselves in what's going on - each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jgalvin

$447 is not expensive at all for a product like that. scrunchy, I'll send you a PM as we might be able to help you, we sometimes do mobile and web apps for free for charities if we have the resources.

• Advertisement
Advertisement