Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating arrangements for old house extended

Options
  • 28-06-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi.

We've bought an old farmhouse recently and got planning to extend. I was wondering if people had any ideas themselves on what heating arrangements might be most cost effective / efficient or where I could get sound advice on same.

Talking to the architect, he seems keen on:
    • solar for heating water
    • solid fuel stove for heating living area
    • backup oil fire for instant heating when you can't be bothered lighting the stove.
    My thoughts:
    • I like the idea of the stove (waterford stanley or similar) for all day or cold winter nights heating.
    • Solar for heating water - no issues. Seems like a good idea.
    • Back-up oil fire: Not keen on oil or gas due to ever-increasing fossil fuel costs, taxes, levies etc.
    • Like the idea of having the option of flicking a switch to heat the place for an hour when you get home from work or just before bed.
    The existing house is approx 75sqm. The extension will be just under that again. Total size: 151.5sqm.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

an1aoch wrote: »
    Hi.

We've bought an old farmhouse recently and got planning to extend. I was wondering if people had any ideas themselves on what heating arrangements might be most cost effective / efficient or where I could get sound advice on same.

• backup oil fire for instant heating when you can't be bothered lighting the stove.
    My thoughts:
    • I like the idea of the stove (waterford stanley or similar) for all day or cold winter nights heating.
    • Back-up oil fire: Not keen on oil or gas due to ever-increasing fossil fuel costs, taxes, levies etc.
    • Like the idea of having the option of flicking a switch to heat the place for an hour when you get home from work or just before bed.
    The existing house is approx 75sqm. The extension will be just under that again. Total size: 151.5sqm.

Thanks in advance.

I myself would fit solar, solid fuel stove with back boiler and a condencing oil boiler for a quick blast for convenience. I would not fit LPG as I have heard it's far more expensive than oil. I would use the stove with backboiler to heat the rads and hot water in winter and only use the oil fired boiler first thing in the morning until fire was lit or when you return from work and the house is cold.

I don't know much about a pelletstove/ boiler and if they are automatic lighting but may be an option, rather than oil/lpg

Stove Fan:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

an1aoch wrote: »
    Hi.

My thoughts:

Thanks in advance.

If you have access to timber fuel, may I suggest you look into Wood Gasification Boilers as a substitute for oil. also what has your architect specified for air-tightness, insulation, glazing, thermal bridging detailing and ventilation as these are the greatest impacts on the amount of heating you will need.

Advertisement