Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most cost effective house type?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Great thread.. have been busy scribbling down notes for my proposed build. Im at the very early stages and trying to decide on what type of house to build! I am thinking of doing as much of the work as possible myself, From experience and regarding cost what would people suggest?

Bungalow
    Dormer
    Storey and Half
    Two Storey

I know this is very general.. but as I said its the early stages.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

€1000 to €1500 per sq meter of finished floor space depending on quality of materials used.

Rough guideline :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Expect the work to take longer than you thought and that it will cost you more than you budgeted.

Spend plenty of time pricing materials for the interior fit out.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Above posts moved from the "Things I wish had done" thread in the C & P forum where they were off topic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

bombadil wrote: »
    Great thread.. have been busy scribbling down notes for my proposed build. Im at the very early stages and trying to decide on what type of house to build! I am thinking of doing as much of the work as possible myself, From experience and regarding cost what would people suggest?

Bungalow
    Dormer
    Storey and Half
    Two Storey

I know this is very general.. but as I said its the early stages.

Bungalow: no
    Dormer/ Storey and Half: next best
    Two Storey: best

but planners that's a different story!:)

you should be thinking orientation, light, compactness and flow of usable floor plan.

and to be honest if your asking the above, you should get some professional advice. IMHO what you spend on this will be saved ten fold in grief and extra costs over the duration of your build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dylanthomas

BryanF wrote: »
    Bungalow: no
    Dormer/ Storey and Half: next best
    Two Storey: best

Based on costing for construction;

Bungalow; Best
    Dormer/ 2 Storey; No

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

and what's the per msq running costs V two-storey of the same standard of construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Thanks for the response everyone! .. your thoughts are much appreciated! I have read some conflicting views though.. some would say that bungalows are the more expensive option given the extra footings and larger roof as the building will have a larger footprint to fit in say 3/4 bedrooms (than a two storey that is).

Style wise my own preference is probably traditional farmhouse two storey type building... and avoiding cost of dormers and outshots from the main building... its all about the cost though!

Cheapest design would be based on a cube shaped house, smaller foundation & roof as well as minimal external walls.

That's why most "developers" build square houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Based on costing for construction;

Bungalow; Best
    Dormer/ 2 Storey; No
    Your very first post on the C & P forum and you come out with something like that.

Im not sure if you're trolling or if you genuinely believe that but either way I dont agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DonegalMick

A Square dormer is generally the most cost effective construction as a well designed house will use 90% of the space available. Two-storey houses have a significant cost with scaffolding, extra block work, plastering etc plus the all the health and safety issues with working at height. Painting of two-storey houses and maintainence is also generally more, even small jobs like cleaning the gutters take more time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

agree completly with donegal mick. built one for my sis who was on a seriously tight budget. if its well designed you can just find extra sq feet. plus you could heat her house with a candle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A Square dormer is generally the most cost effective construction as a well designed house will use 90% of the space available. Two-storey houses have a significant cost with scaffolding, extra block work, plastering etc plus the all the health and safety issues with working at height. Painting of two-storey houses and maintainence is also generally more, even small jobs like cleaning the gutters take more time.

Sorry, dorrmer's have more, bigger roof's. Roofs, per m2, are more expensive than walls, so, my list

Best 1st
    2-storey
    1.5 storey/dormer
    Bungalow (worst of both cases)

All you need to do now is sort Planning :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement