Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hall of shame

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Clutch anyone?

Image1721-1.jpg

Image1722.jpg

Yes, its sitting on an upside down Fiesta :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dgt wrote: »

Yes, its sitting on an upside down Fiesta :D

Was that to make it easier to remove? :)

Was that to make it easier to remove? :)

Tis a Vectra clutch, the Fiesta just happens to be a handy shelf :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Did you make that signature when you flipped it? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

Just bought a car recently. Seat Toledo TDI. The guy said it was leaking coolant under the driver's seat, and he'd sell it cheap. When I saw it I could see the head gasket was well gone. he reckoned it was like that for months and he just said he ignored the warning lights and just topped it up now and again. I decided it needed a new engine anyway as it was fried and drove it home 100 miles or so with the temp at 110 - 120. When I drained the water there was only about 1.5 litres of water in there. Dunno how it lasted, and it drove perfect.

Funny thing is, it was advertised as "well maintained".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just bought a car recently. Seat Toledo TDI. The guy said it was leaking coolant under the driver's seat, and he'd sell it cheap. When I saw it I could see the head gasket was well gone. he reckoned it was like that for months and he just said he ignored the warning lights and just topped it up now and again. I decided it needed a new engine anyway as it was fried and drove it home 100 miles or so with the temp at 110 - 120. When I drained the water there was only about 1.5 litres of water in there. Dunno how it lasted, and it drove perfect.

Funny thing is, it was advertised as "well maintained".
    LOL!

Well maintained? Ha ha! there should be people prosecuted for such lies.

Cheers! Wouldn't be the first one that was revived :D

Yes, I'm m20b25 on FF ;)

Good stuff. I'm very promiscuous with my motors but liked my old 1.2 Brava so much that seriously thinking of getting a Bravo t-jet for my next motor.

Do they still put smile on your face the same their older sisters did?

samih wrote: »
    Good stuff. I'm very promiscuous with my motors but liked my old 1.2 Brava so much that seriously thinking of getting a Bravo t-jet for my next motor.

Do they still put smile on your face the same their older sisters did?

After driving many similar sized cars over the years I can safely say for the size of the engine Bravos easily give great smiles per gallon for what they are :)

I have yet to drive a 198 Bravo but if its anything like the old one its a winner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

howyanow wrote: »
    what can be done if someone accidentally puts water in the oil compartment?
    car was driven for around ten mins after,local garage says engine needs to be replaced.does any one have any other solution?
    howyanow wrote: »
    wasnt me that did it,it was filled to the top and,driven for about 1o mins and then it stopped.just checking that the garage isnt talking sh1t.i suppose its the same theory for all engines?silly mistake
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

^^^A more insulting thread title then 'hall of shame' would be needed for that one IMO. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

3a994b3a.jpg

6e50eb96.jpg

8dc3a406.jpg

Customer heard a noise in his wood chipper but kept going.

Result is that a piece of the broken clutch assy wore a hole out through the side of the engine bell housing

BTW, post more pics guys please!

I posted this in the youtube thread but it could fit here as well I guess....

Customer complained of rattle and oil leak, poor bitch slipped a leg.
    Its a FPV(Ford performance vehicle) Falcon F6 Ute. Its a 4 litre straight 6 turbocharged engine. The turbos on these are bigger than any I've ever seen including modified cars. The turbine is about the width of a can of coke. Sorry about the crap phone photos maybe a mod can make them even bigger:pac:

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

65E25881-EF1A-4AB1-A70B-33DEAA597587-8011-000008A0326EC1B4.jpg

3E0003E2-75BE-4D82-BD8D-A29DDACBA6C1-8011-0000089E763583CC.jpg

A bolt fell out of the air cleaner and mangled the turbo which in turn knackered a few pistons on a machine. One 1600bhp engine exit stage left. Price of the new one is said to be $600,000 and a machine out of action for a fortnight to change them over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Slidey wrote: »

A bolt fell out of the air cleaner and mangled the turbo which in turn knackered a few pistons on a machine. One 1600bhp engine exit stage left. Price of the new one is said to be $600,000 and a machine out of action for a fortnight to change them over

Give a call to Nissan Doctor, he''l sort it :);)

• Advertisement

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Give a call to Nissan Doctor, he''l sort it :);)

:eek:For an all expenses paid to OZ I'd have a look:P

Do you on replace these engines? Surely the would be financial viability in repairing/rebuilding these?

@Plug, was that just a random part failure or was it hydrolocked or over-revved or something?

:eek:For an all expenses paid to OZ I'd have a look:P

Do you on replace these engines? Surely the would be financial viability in repairing/rebuilding these?

@Plug, was that just a random part failure or was it hydrolocked or over-revved or something?

Some man will rebuild it and make a fortune I am sure. No time for rebuilding here, every hour the machine is not cutting ore in the pit is supposed to cost between $150k - $180k in lost production.

It was warranty anyway as the bolt fell out of the air cleaner assy and the machine is only 2 months old with 600hrs on the clock

Slightly smaller machinery then Slidey is playing with but a Fiat Punto arrived in the other day with the customer reporting a 'bit' of a noise and she also reported that it seemed harder to 'get going'.

Driving it into the garage it was obvious that it had a misfire so I assumed it would be something basic enough, HT leads or similar........however....(and keep in mind that this car was driving around like this)

2012-11-30172249.jpg

2012-11-30172804.jpg

2012-11-30172857.jpg

2012-11-30172916.jpg

2012-11-30173601.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Da Fuq?

Da Fuq?

Likely cause, oil starvation causing the big ends to fail and sieze to the crank....causing the con rod to snap and bits of the resulting debris to punch holes in the sump.....just a bit of a noise though:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Geez, you'll probably need two or even three tubes of araldite.

Words... Completely fail me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

I'm ashamed to say these came off one of my rear corners. :o

imag0030t.jpg

imag0031xe.jpg

Bit if a fookup with the replacements also. I must have put it in askew and the piston bent it!

imag0028u.jpg

Keeping with the brake theme...

What linings?
    Image2442.jpg

What lubrication?
    Image2440.jpg

On the subject of brakes...The rears on the VAG group cars seem very prone to being neglected for some reason.

Audi A3:

2012-11-15145914.jpg

VW Golf:

DSCF4627-1.jpg

DSCF4629-1.jpg

Merc SLK:

DSCF1856-1.jpg

DSCF1857.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

On the subject of brakes...The rears on the VAG group cars seem very prone to being neglected for some reason.

I'm guessing that them cars do an NCT every year. Do they check pads and discs visually?

I'm guessing that them cars do an NCT every year. Do they check pads and discs visually?

The brakes are only tested electronically for the NCT. If the car has steel wheels then there is very little visual inspection possible.

The last pic of the merc disk, that car was serviced in a Mercedes dealer a few weeks previously. This is why the VAG and Mercedes(amongst others) method of 'checking' brakes without removing the wheels is utter rubbish IMO.

I would of thought it's only common sense to take a wheel off to check the brakes properly, nevermind professional best practice and all that.

I'm not sure how much of this you could inspect with the wheel on.

img2093st.jpg

I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm under the van. Have a strange ping from a gearbox mount I didn't fit properly and haven't been bothered to sort. Fingers crossed it wont be one for the hall of shame...

img2093st.jpg

What is the wire coming from the pads for?

Brake pad wear sensor. Great idea apart from the fact it sets of a really loud beeeep every time you turn the ignition, even though the pads are still good for another 10k miles. You can snip where they enter the pad and splice them together or use vagcom to disable it altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

While we're doing brakes, couple of days after buying my car the front passenger brakes started to grind and whine, and i actually had to pry one of the pads off of the disc. First to guess which pads are which wins a prize*

*please note, no actual prize will be forthcoming

The other pair of pads

cletus wrote: »
    While we're doing brakes, couple of days after buying my car the front passenger brakes started to grind and whine, and i actually had to pry one of the pads off of the disc. First to guess which pads are which wins a prize*

*please note, no actual prize will be forthcoming
    The other pair of pads

actually you have on first picture two pads from brake cylinder side and other picture from outer side, , i think that just one caliper actually was working, or in one side somebody put new pads, and "forgot" put pads in other side.

mar4ix, i put them like that for comparison, the pads on the right in each picture came from the drivers side, the pads on the left in each picture came from the passenger side

I believe only one side was changed, there is too much meat on the other set, plus i checked after a few hundred miles with the new pads, no excessive wear on the passenger side

No mar4ix, i put them like that for comparison, the pads on the right in each picture came from the drivers side, the pads on the left in each picture came from the passenger side

to me looks like one side was worn , other side had new pads on. you can see on pad, where crown ish metal stick , its where locks in to brake cylinder, other pad, which comes without any attachments, goes from disk outer side.

If I am wrong, somebody correct me.

Thats what it is, i was just saying that i put the left and right inner pad beside each other to compare, and the left anfd right outer beside each other to compare.

Almost definitely just one side was changed

Thats what it is, i was just saying that i put the left and right inner pad beside each other to compare, and the left anfd right outer beside each other to compare.

Almost definitely just one side was changed

yea, thats was one of mine assumption in post No. 84 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Image1722.jpg

....ah, yes, the little-known and lesser-common....... TMF........Tri-Mass Flywheel...

...as in.....3 bits ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Just fished this yoke out of my Xsara. No wonder the heater wouldn't work. Made in France rubbish.
    W0Ajr.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Just fished this yoke out of my Xsara. No wonder the heater wouldn't work. Made in France rubbish.
    http://i.imgur.com/W0Ajr.jpg?1

Prob on the car since new, can't blame it really with a minimum of 8 years service

mar4ix, i put them like that for comparison, the pads on the right in each picture came from the drivers side, the pads on the left in each picture came from the passenger side

I believe only one side was changed, there is too much meat on the other set, plus i checked after a few hundred miles with the new pads, no excessive wear on the passenger side

The worn pad in your pics isn't just worn, it has been severely overheated. That's the cause of the friction surface being broken up like it is.

It was almost certainly cause by a sticking caliper piston or sliders. Where the seals on both in good shape and both moved freely when you changed the pads?

Yep, checked them before the new pads were put in. They were replaced over a year ago about a week after I got the car, and I have not had issues yet. In one of the pictures the friction surface is completely gone.

The actual pad pad just about welded itself to the disc, and i think this is what created the heat that broke up the friction material on the other

Yep, checked them before the new pads were put in. They were replaced over a year ago about a week after I got the car, and I have not had issues yet. In one of the pictures the friction surface is completely gone.

The actual pad pad just about welded itself to the disc, and i think this is what created the heat that broke up the friction material on the other

Also make sure someone didn't leave a brake pipe clamp on the flexi brake hose on the corner where the pads got raped.

Edit. if it was nearly a year ago you replaced the pads forget it.

If the caliper is fine then it may be a case of the surface where the pad slides on the caliper bracket may be full of rust and dirt, or the pads didn't have any anti seize paste put on them.

A Seat Ibiza arrived on a recovery truck the other day as a non start. A turn of the key and it was obvious that there was no compression(engine spinning freely) so a slipped timing chain was likely especially as this is a common occurrence on poorly maintained VAG 1.2 6/12v's.

Out with the scope to confirm piston/valve contact:

The clean shiny areas around the valve relief pockets indicate contact.
    2012-12-15112458.jpg

And the cause............

The entire oil content of the engine:

2012-12-17090730.jpg

It turns out, after a bit more stripping that the chain hadn't slipped, it had broken...because one of the cams had seized due to lack of oil:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sweet Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

back in 2002 i had a spanking new company van i collected it from the main dealer myself

after 2 days brakes where near gone and grinding, phoned the garage and they insisted i was talking shxt anyways brought it back to them
    after some talking they eventually decided to take a look, both front pads where down to metal, turns out one of the mechanics had taken the pads out to fit into another customers car/van and replaced the old pads into my van before it was even reg'd

excuse was they had no pads in stock and thought it a good idea to swap them until they ordered new ones in and forgot about it , this was from a main dealer

also turns out they never done a pti check on the van before sale, needless to say never ever purchased anythnig again from them

markbld65 wrote: »
    back in 2002 i had a spanking new company van i collected it from the main dealer myself

after 2 days brakes where near gone and grinding, phoned the garage and they insisted i was talking shxt anyways brought it back to them
    after some talking they eventually decided to take a look, both front pads where down to metal, turns out one of the mechanics had taken the pads out to fit into another customers car/van and replaced the old pads into my van before it was even reg'd

excuse was they had no pads in stock and thought it a good idea to swap them until they ordered new ones in and forgot about it , this was from a main dealer

also turns out they never done a pti check on the van before sale, needless to say never ever purchased anythnig again from them
    That would be a take them outside to be shot offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

Just seen this posted on the micksgarage facebook page !!
    425608_10151184607636801_833933434_n.jpg

That looks like a Brembo disk with that internal cooling design. It boggles the mind how far people will drive with loud metallic grinding noises from their car.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement