Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hall of shame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

A couple from over the last couple of weeks:

VW Golf sump...with a nut and bolt fitted to seal the sump, with bolt fitted from inside the sump:eek:

That's brilliant...I once found a spark plug been used as a sump plug.At least it was entered from the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

the kind of car you wipe your feet after getting out of....

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shoppingspout

what has been happened to the rime of the car could not understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

ORVEE wrote: »
    A couple from over the last couple of weeks:

VW Golf sump...with a nut and bolt fitted to seal the sump, with bolt fitted from inside the sump:eek:

That's brilliant...I once found a spark plug been used as a sump plug.At least it was entered from the outside.

I've seen a few spark plugs at this stage alright.

The problem with this one was two fold, 1 it took an age to drain the oil and 2, If I accidentally knocked the bolt back into the sump I'd have to take the whole lot off to sort it:mad:

what has been happened to the rime of the car could not understand.

manuel_zps11d2c1cb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

from series .. i feel stupid :pac:

as i do some nixer work for friends, my ex landlord, we still have good relations, asked me come over, to have a look on his toyota carina, '97, as passenger window regulator not working , needs to be changed, he got somewhere another one, so just to change, ... no problem, pop in, took off door card, removed switch , and joint with wires connecters, just to make sure, old one is gone. ... for surprise me and car owner, window regulator was working fine, up and down with joint wires, but nothing at all , when switch is on. So i pronounce - dead switch, has to be changed.
    ok next day, he call me, says he changed two switches , none would work, so i asked him pop in to my place today.

I was throwing my last hairs off my head, couldnt understand, how it could be, number switches no working, but when hot-wired , it is working grand.

i was starting look on drivers door, and spotted that lil nasty button .. called " Window Lock " , after pressing it, window "magically" start work.

in both days, i spent around 3 hours, to figure out, that that Fycking button pressed.

Never felt so embarrassed.

he gave me another tenner, for fault finding, and letting him know, that most of times, could be that button accidentally pressed, as he was spending at least once a year around 80 quid, to get that passenger door window working, anyway he saved 50 quid(yea, he gave me together 30 quid). .

so , regardless work, need to start with easiest and simplest fault finding, before dig in to big work. :pac:

^^I've seen the likes of that a few times. I think its Renault Megans that have a button down near the drivers knee for the child locks on the rear doors. I've seen these being the cause of a few 'my rear doors don't open from the inside' complaints.

I did once spend about half an hour trying to diagnose why a car would start....that turned out to have no petrol in it:o

In this game you quickly learn to check the basic stuff first.

Actually, only a few weeks ago, a Kangoo arrived on a tow truck, customer said it packed up just after he filled it with fuel and he suspected the worst(pumps, injectors, expence), we pushed it in, I opened the bonnet, pushed the inertia switch and drove it back out before the customer had even given their phone number at reception:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

Car felt horrible to drive, even for just 20 metres , tyre completely warped and wire sticking out. asked customer if the noticed anything or hit anything?? No, didn't notice a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

^^

July-26-2012-00-31-34-taekdk.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Compliant was that the brakes were intermittently soft. No real pattern to it, but sometimes the pedal would have to go right to the floor to stop the car and other times it would be fine.

Initially I was thinking some possible air in the system and then I started to bleed the system. Almost 50% water 50% gunk! :eek:

Now I knew brake fluid was hydroscopic... but seriously.

photo_zpse25a3fd3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:eek:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

nct tester wrote: »
    Car felt horrible to drive, even for just 20 metres , tyre completely warped and wire sticking out. asked customer if the noticed anything or hit anything?? No, didn't notice a thing.

But there's two straight bits and only the bit in the middle is bent!! ;)

One from today.

Customer came for a quote for an NCT fail item.

When I saw this inside the car I knew it was going to be interesting. Just turning the steering wheel side to side caused a loud banging noise.

2013-06-24121145_zps3700bbd5.jpg

It failed on an 'inner tie rod end' which is a contradiction in terms to begin with but anyway.

This need a couple of videos.....keep in mind the customer didn't notice anything wrong until the car failed the NCT.

A pic of what was loose inside the boot..

2013-06-24173837_zps77c36091.jpg

And a view of the issue...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

And these people are let drive..... Great to know such vehicles are on the road!
    jayok wrote: »
    Compliant was that the brakes were intermittently soft. No real pattern to it, but sometimes the pedal would have to go right to the floor to stop the car and other times it would be fine.

Initially I was thinking some possible air in the system and then I started to bleed the system. Almost 50% water 50% gunk! :eek:

Now I knew brake fluid was hydroscopic... but seriously.

photo_zpse25a3fd3.jpg

At least yours is colourful.

Here's the fluid from my old 406, one of the first things I did when I got it was change the fluid. Must have been the first time it was changed :rolleyes:
    Image226.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

+1 for the NCT. Sounds like this customer would still be driving it in its dangerous condition without the NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

dgt wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Exactly like the stuff that came out of the lines on my van. 2 litres of black fluid with a hint of green if you held it up to the light. The pedal only traveled half the distance after I changed it. The fluid from the front N/S was the worst. Little black lumps in it.

Quick question - Would a tiny nick on dust seal on a caliper piston cause it to stick?
    No fluid or anything coming out just a little 3mm long nick in it. It makes a grindy noise under light breaking and scored 25% less then the front right in the DOE brake test. I bled the brakes for the retest and it was nearly as good as the other front but I think it slowly deteriorates over a month or two.

Quick question - Would a tiny nick on dust seal on a caliper piston cause it to stick?
    No fluid or anything coming out just a little 3mm long nick in it. It makes a grindy noise under light breaking and scored 25% less then the front right in the DOE brake test. I bled the brakes for the retest and it was nearly as good as the other front but I think it slowly deteriorates over a month or two.

Yes it easily could. Once the dust seal is broken at all then dirt and moisture gets in and starts to corrode the piston and the bore.

Lack of maintenance strikes again.

A 2010 Iveco Daily came in as a non runner.

Found no oil showing on the dipstick and eventually this.....

2013-06-14173531_zpsbf9e7279.jpg

2013-06-14173612_zpsbf93cc9f.jpg

Lack of oil caused the chain tensioner to go slack, chain slipped teeth, valves hit pistons, cams broke rockers:eek:

And another, although not so much hall of shame for the owner but for some garage somewhere, I spotted this parked near work.

2013-06-19093923_zps1f95c011.jpg

Some garage is wondering where a piece of their lift is gone:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Found old number 11 :p. Thought he was a gonner.

img0172eh.jpg

I can't get a picture... but a self-fail... I dropped one of my spanners into the body cavity in the boot of my car while changing one of the lights. I attempted to get it out but gave up in the end. :P:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dord wrote: »
    I can't get a picture... but a self-fail... I dropped one of my spanners into the body cavity in the boot of my car while changing one of the lights. I attempted to get it out but gave up in the end. :P:o

Will it not rattle like f*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

mickdw wrote: »
    Will it not rattle like f*ck.

It might do alright, but I haven't heard anything from it so far. I'll get it out soon enough. Just get to pick up a flexible grab tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

photo_zpse25a3fd3.jpg

...a good few years ago, I attended a 'Tech Daze' (sic) for BMW bike owners, outside Atlanta, Georgia.

Like motors on here, there were a lot of people on a forum and they used to organise these 'tech daze' to show/learn/teach people about their own bikes. Usually accompanied by food/bbq/beers etc .....both during & after !!

Anyhoo, there were about a dozen bikes for various jobs, brake bleeding being one. I teamed up with one guy who had the most spotless bike I'd ever seen, in gleaming black. Apparently he was a Medivac pilot, and the bike sat in the hanger. In between calls, he would polish it and detail constantly......

On bleeding the rear brake, it pumped clear and I made the comment it looked good. 'Ah' he said......'wait for it......' and eventually, lo & behold ... a big black 'slug' of fluid, followed by more clear stuff.

He explained that on his bike he found (lots of black flexible hosing and ABS ) that you have to make sure you run the system through completely as there are 'dead legs' where the fluid only ever shuffles back and forth, and he found it got contaminated by the rubber over time.

A grasshopper moment, surely.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good luck with that Dord, as Newton himself once observed; "When a tool or vital part falls beneath a carriage, it is a fundamental certainty that it will fall to the exact centre of said carriage, or most inaccessible place thereof, whichever is closer". Even had a formula for it apparently. Einstein built on this and invoked ripples in spacetime to explain it. Though when fettling the carbs of his 1940's Caddy, he was more likely to be heard exclaiming profanities in German*. :D

*May not be true.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good luck with that Dord, as Newton himself once observed; "When a tool or vital part falls beneath a carriage, it is a fundamental certainty that it will fall to the exact centre of said carriage, or most inaccessible place thereof, whichever is closer". Even had a formula for it apparently. Einstein built on this and invoked ripples in spacetime to explain it. Though when fettling the carbs of his 1940's Caddy, he was more likely to be heard exclaiming profanities in German*. :D

*May not be true.

Otherwise known as Murphy's Law.

It's also why if you drop a nut, spanner or socket and there is a container of oil within 50 yards it will definitely fall into it :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Thought it was just me, often thought if I was working on a skyscraper id have a lot of climing I seem to drop a spanner about 5 times at least at every task, then a nut or washer and spend 10 minutes looking for it, drives me mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

This was booked in for a service and to check out a p0420 cat efficiency fault code.
    Surprisingly emissions were well within the NCT pass range.
    Up it goes on the ramp for further investigation......
    B1S2 shown in image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Talking to a friend last night about this thread. He said one of the worst things he'd seen in a garage was a laytex glove been poured back into an engine in a jug of oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Bought a Transit last December and shortly after I noticed an exhaust manifold leak, Took a quick look and saw that there was a stud broken between the exhaust manifold and the turbo :mad:

Looked like someone had recently replaced the core plugs so they must have removed the manifold and broken a stud. It gradually got worse and worse over the last 6 months with little use so off to ford for a new set of studs and gaskets. Started stripping it all down taking pics to remember where every thing went when. It was only when I removed all the exhaust studs that I realised that all 3 studs attaching the exhaust manifold to the turbo had been broken by the previous work and the Mechanic\ Previous Owner just plopped it back in :eek: they were just resting against each other.

When I bought it the van ran well and there was no obvious leak but the gap got wider and wider as it was used.

20130630_191729.jpg

20130630_194955.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Saw this gem yesterday. I left a note on the windshield of the 07 reg 4x4 and only hope they get it changed before it comes apart.

43c03f1e-a505-41d2-b478-0370d3f16e45_zpsa905e2cd.jpg

Would it be possible to have a thread with pictures of worn tyres/dangerous cars, and picture of car registrations or something? Or is that kind of name and shame frowned upon?

• Advertisement

Saw this gem yesterday. I left a note on the windshield of the 07 reg 4x4 and only hope they get it changed before it comes apart.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b492/RandomAccessPhoto/43c03f1e-a505-41d2-b478-0370d3f16e45_zpsa905e2cd.jpg

Would it be possible to have a thread with pictures of worn tyres/dangerous cars, and picture of car registrations or something? Or is that kind of name and shame frowned upon?

I've seen far, far worse.... I must start taking pics of ones I see

And yes, it might be frowned upon I'm afraid

Arise thread.....

This one definitely takes the biscuit for a car that came in here.....

I needed to check the airbag module, just the console out to gain access
    Image1004.jpg
    Image1005.jpg
    Image1006.jpg

The blue box is the phone kit, module behind it. It's meant to be a silver unit....
    Image1007.jpg

I thought it was a packet of M&M's. Oh no :rolleyes:
    Image1008.jpg

Yep, this was my airbag module
    Image1009.jpg

Which begs the question, what kind of person did this and how do they sleep at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

That's factory,it's an Alfa :D

tossy wrote: »
    That's factory,it's an Alfa :D

It is not! I was expecting a box of milk tray or chocolate swiss roll :pac:

Ya its one of those pedigree modules, very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Paddypowered

Customer felt the car was pulling to one side....;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Oh fcuk! :eek:

Another one I came across recently....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Is that off a Civic/Stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

43c03f1e-a505-41d2-b478-0370d3f16e45_zpsa905e2cd.jpg

Indeed - see what comes next, here :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Is that off a Civic/Stream?

Nope, Outlander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 jk536

Couldnt believe when I seen this tyre getting out of my car the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

jk536 wrote: »

While in getting a new set of tyres put on i saw a lad in a very felty a4 ahead of me getting two new (part worn, cos they were 19"s) front tyres on. No bother says i until my turn came. While my car was up in the air i saw yer mans tyres by the wall. The whole inner shoulder was worn beyond the wire on both tyres! He had lowered the fcuk out of his car but neglected the camber change while doing so and the front tyres wore away on the inner shoulder.
    These spastics are all around us, threatening our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

shedweller wrote: »
    While in getting a new set of tyres put on i saw a lad in a very felty a4 ahead of me getting two new (part worn, cos they were 19"s) front tyres on. No bother says i until my turn came. While my car was up in the air i saw yer mans tyres by the wall. The whole inner shoulder was worn beyond the wire on both tyres! He had lowered the fcuk out of his car but neglected the camber change while doing so and the front tyres wore away on the inner shoulder.
    These spastics are all around us, threatening our lives.

Modified cars aren't that big here and young guys often just cut the springs. Pity as if done right modified cars add a splash of colour to drab and dull euro boxes on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jk536 wrote: »
    Do you remember it getting into your car though? :)

Without wanting to go all Stasi, we should really report issues like this. Someone's life might be saved - even if only that of the driver or occupants of the car. Cars like this should be seized on the spot.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nothing compared to anything on here, but the reason I'd consider it hall of shame is more due to the car...

Saw a gorgeous R8 earlier, went over to have a look..... and it was on Nankangs! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Nothing compared to anything on here, but the reason I'd consider it hall of shame is more due to the car...

Saw a gorgeous R8 earlier, went over to have a look..... and it was on Nankangs! :eek:

Nnankangs actually not bad tyre at all , very good budget tyre, but I cannot see that on expensive car . must be owner saving money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

Another photo from micks garage facebook page. Apparently it came out of a VW transporter which was driven exclusively in 3rd gear as the driver could not drive a manual :eek:

1617578_10151961843926801_1846264184_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

GE90 wrote: »
    Another photo from micks garage facebook page. Apparently it came out of a VW transporter which was driven exclusively in 3rd gear as the driver could not drive a manual :eek:
    Eh, 3rd gear and Reverse if you don't mind! :)

Heard of this years ago - an 'older' customer used to have the dealer modify his new vehicle so that it would only select 3rd or Reverse. Not really a problem if you know how to slip the clutch properly, and know enough to have a new clutch fitted before the above pic happens....

Sure they say you can go from 0-100mph in 4th gear on a Hardly-Davidson (sic) - but why would you be on one in the first place?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

First picture is of a car that came in for full test with rusty brake pipes already leaking and probably on the point of bursting.

Second picture is of a badly cracked alloy that the owned didn't know about.

Third picture is of a mercedes front suspension with a collapsed/broken spring.

Truly shocking, did the alloy owner try to glue it in to place

• Advertisement
Advertisement