Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hall of shame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How did the tester spot that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I recently got a cheap as chips flaring kit. Its hard to go wrong with the copper pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Hal1 wrote: »
    How did the tester spot that?

Load of brake fluid leaking out where it joined into the flexi. Put a new flexi on but it was still leaking away. Pulled it back off and seen the crosseye thing in the 3rd pic when I'd a closer look with a torch.

How lucky was this guy? Incorrect torque settings caused this to happen.

Edit: That is a motorbike part! Some story on it here: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Motorcycle-Part-Slams-Into-Windshield-Nearly-Hits-Driver-on-Highway-101-303160211.html

9tKEVRh.jpg

:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

How lucky was this guy? Incorrect torque settings caused this to happen.

Edit: That is a motorbike part! Some story on it here: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Motorcycle-Part-Slams-Into-Windshield-Nearly-Hits-Driver-on-Highway-101-303160211.html

shat_bricks.jpg

• Advertisement

I'd say more than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Bell housing snapped off the gearbox in a Trnasit.. how!?!
    DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg

Something seized up, maybe that centre shaft thing (release bearing)? I'd say your man got a fright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Broken engine mount maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

JoeySully wrote:
    These were replaced by a garage - they have since moved so I have no comeback and no receipt How they only replaced one side I really don't know. cutting corners or just human error. They replaced the side that has the wear sensor so it would have been a long time before I would have got a warning light!

I seriously doubt this^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Something seized up, maybe that centre shaft thing (release bearing)? I'd say your man got a fright.

More like the clutch disintegrating. You can see a wear mark from something rubbing inside the bell housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Recently bought a second hand set of alloys. Tyres still on.

Not a mechanic, but I think the previous owner may have been running his car with a touch of camber in the over all setup

358536.jpg

cletus wrote: »
    Recently bought a second hand set of alloys. Tyres still on.

Not a mechanic, but I think the previous owner may have been running his car with a touch of camber in the over all setup

358536.jpg

Plenty cars will do that to front tyres if you run them about 5k miles past being legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Any interesting updates to this. I used to love reading it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Soo many but I can't post pics while using the app for some reason.

BU1VBdQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Slideways

Soo many but I can't post pics while using the app for some reason.

I have a photobucket acc and app on the phone. Makes for easy uploading and even had the full [img]tag version you just click on and it copies for you Not many pics from me of late Here's one of what happens when a pump blows itself up in a hydraulic circuit. Everything get contaminated with brass :-/[/img]9FDBBF2D-D46F-45AB-B1E6-15F885EF56CA.jpg

BU1VBdQ.jpg

Shur all the taxi men use 'em they must be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

<<the Chile tyre>>

Somebody was reading Just Rolled into the Shop on Reddit......

• Advertisement

Be grand...
    4avzFdv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Be grand...
    4avzFdv.jpg

That has to be a winner. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Morgan original part.

I'm guessing that had to be some fella that just needed to move that car 5 or 10m out of the way.
    It wasn't being driven around surely.

It was on a reddit motoring section and was a customers car. Looking at the split I'd say it was driven a few miles at least... There's a lot more where that came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Morgan original part.

Timber Torsion Beam Suspension that hasn't been treated, it will rot away in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Timber Torsion Beam Suspension that hasn't been treated, it will rot away in no time.

You are dead right.

He should have used hardwood!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Mww6B3F.jpg.

• Advertisement

377905.jpg

Z0NW8qp.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Gotta love this from google earth.

378475.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

377905.jpg

Z0NW8qp.gif

I did that on my fto while I was waiting for the new exhaust to arrive, it was hanging off and there was no way you could weld it because the rust was so bad, jubilee clipped it on and wrapped it in exhaust tape :o

Yeah you could understand it if it was a temp fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Yeah you could understand it if it was a temp fix.

wouldn't fancy driving behind if one of those spanners fell off at motorway speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

BU1VBdQ.jpg

Ill take Chile over china any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

Mar4ix wrote: »
    from series .. i feel stupid :pac:

as i do some nixer work for friends, my ex landlord, we still have good relations, asked me come over, to have a look on his toyota carina, '97, as passenger window regulator not working , needs to be changed, he got somewhere another one, so just to change, ... no problem, pop in, took off door card, removed switch , and joint with wires connecters, just to make sure, old one is gone. ... for surprise me and car owner, window regulator was working fine, up and down with joint wires, but nothing at all , when switch is on. So i pronounce - dead switch, has to be changed.
    ok next day, he call me, says he changed two switches , none would work, so i asked him pop in to my place today.

I was throwing my last hairs off my head, couldnt understand, how it could be, number switches no working, but when hot-wired , it is working grand.

i was starting look on drivers door, and spotted that lil nasty button .. called " Window Lock " , after pressing it, window "magically" start work.

in both days, i spent around 3 hours, to figure out, that that Fycking button pressed.

Never felt so embarrassed.

he gave me another tenner, for fault finding, and letting him know, that most of times, could be that button accidentally pressed, as he was spending at least once a year around 80 quid, to get that passenger door window working, anyway he saved 50 quid(yea, he gave me together 30 quid). .

so , regardless work, need to start with easiest and simplest fault finding, before dig in to big work. :pac:

I nearly started to strip my Lexus down couple of weeks ago as I couldn't open the boot. Tried both remotes, the button in the dashboard, the button at the back, took the battery terminals off for half an hour... Nothing.

Turned out that my son accidentally pressed the Valet button in the glovebox.

Also. Attached is a picture of an engine block from Focus I bough as Starter and Flywheel problem. Engine was nearly split in half.

20151224_004723.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Battery connection?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Had to post this one that arrived with us this week.
    "Noise in brakes" was the complaint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Hellrazer wrote: »

im not mechanic so its not obvious what's wrong.
    is the disk broken or worn away. im assuming the shiny parts are the disk but are the parts in between worn away or are they covered by something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

im not mechanic so its not obvious what's wrong.
    is the disk broken or worn away. im assuming the shiny parts are the disk but are the parts in between worn away or are they covered by something

the disc has worn all the way through the braking surface and what you can see there are the vents inside the disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

holy crap. what were they hearing , shrapnel hitting the cars behind. why did it wear away one side and not the 2 sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

Is that not a (well) ventilated disc brake.

Holy moley that's terrible. The racket must have been dire.

Loads of life left it that. If they got another week, they would have had a shiny new super slim non vented disc there and would have easily got another 2 years.....and the rip off mechanic looking g to swap them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Dunno, it looks borderline to me. Might be a mm or two past. Best throw a micrometer on. Just make sure you have it on the shiny bit, don't be cheating the customer

God dam rip off garages and down with that sort of thing *shakes fist* :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Inherited a 96 polo after my Uncle passed away. (No one else wanted it, I was asked to get rid of it!)
    Anyway, brake servo give up couple of weeks ago. Pedal to the floor.
    local scrappy sorted me out with complete servo and cylinder for 24 Euro.
    Went at it last night. Didnt bother changing servo, put everything back filled with fluid etc, and no better. Bled it every which way I could think of. When you pressed the pedal with the engine running, engine would speed up.
    Only feckin mixed the two cylinders up and refitted the faulty one......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

holy crap. what were they hearing , shrapnel hitting the cars behind. why did it wear away one side and not the 2 sides

Wing was completely scratched from the bits of metal flying off at it.

jca wrote: »
    Holy moley that's terrible. The racket must have been dire.

Never mind the racket--there was zero and I mean ZERO pedal on it at all.
    Almost ran into a new 161 just driving it into the workshop.
    Other side was just as bad.
    Worst Ive seen in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Guy phones us in saying the car stopped can`t drive it. The lads tow it to the garage and have a go at it, I was off so coming in the following morning to see this:

20160315_070847.jpg
    20160315_070908.jpg

They said the smell was unbelievable. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Greyfoot wrote: »
    Guy phones us in saying the car stopped can`t drive it. The lads tow it to the garage and have a go at it, I was off so coming in the following morning to see this:

20160315_070847.jpg
    20160315_070908.jpg

They said the smell was unbelievable. :o

he got value for money out of that clutch :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement