Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hall of shame

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What's that burning smell? Ah shure it's grannnnd :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

We opened a gearbox in a Qashqai that wouldn't engage second the other day, of course the casing and clutch were left beside my toolbox.

I genuinely had to hold my breath every time I went near it, it just choked you with the burning smell!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

brembo26 wrote: »
    he got value for money out of that clutch :pac:

Kia Rio with 10k on the clock, yo man was so big he could not take his left foot off the clutch. :eek: I wonder how he used the other two pedals though. :confused::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

As I pottered away in my yard, a local fella called into me with a question about his car...

"Mr Pigeon, the brakes are makin an awful racket, can you have a look at it?"

"Aye, bring it on in!"

Good f*cking grief :eek:
    26015745003_51f3b66e08_k.jpg

26592810886_7bc6323afa_k.jpg

The caliper I managed to save, but the bang it gave when the piston was pushed back in.... :eek:

I wouldn't let him leave till I got 2 discs and pads. I'd never forgive myself if he had an accident and I knew I could do something.

Bled, tested and now happy motoring once more :)

A week earlier, a young fella called into me saying his car wasn't driving right (a mint 406 D-Turbo :cool::cool::cool::cool:)

This was the problem
    26618675385_90fb88588b_k.jpg

That's the pump bracket. Not attached to anything in particular. It was so loose I could slip the belt off the sprocket :eek:

A new belt and pump bracket later and the car was back driving as normal :)

And just for good measure, here's a picture of me looking concerned with the whole merry lot
    26592803346_25fd0b8678_k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

Your camera quality/picture taking ability has improved immeasurably :eek:

But good work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

A "Pigeon Selfie " :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

This is what happens when a CAT C175 slips the timing...

50270EDA-E297-407D-8AA8-7733D9CDFA4A.jpg

55227124-1090-4123-9EAC-A22C2E89AD9E.jpg

D34684B4-49D5-4270-8F94-9A73128F57F5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

A family member recently bought a 2004 scenic. She complained that the injector warning lamp came on intermittently, but the car was driving fine.

Full service was ordered, so I started with an injector leak off test. Surprisingly the injectors passed with flying colours.

I went on with the service, only to discover the horror of the fuel filter. Never have u seen one so bad! Full of sludge, totally blocked, and utterly filthy.

The filter is in an awkward spot under the wheel arch, so I suspect it has been sitting there unloved for 12 years.

As a parting gift, the car decided that the primer bulb was going to have a failed valve. After much sucking, and a mouth full of lovely diesel later, the car started first try!

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clutch was slipping so said to myself I'd do it over the coming week or so. Heading down the M50 and suddenly lose drive . What was left of the friction material shredded itself (was all over the inside when I took the box off.

EDIT: Woah, image way too big, abort. :)

http://i.imgur.com/onlFsXa.jpg

• Advertisement

you got your value out of that one. What was that in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

An MGF.

A dumptruck transmission decided it had enough :lol:

A1ED61BA-4935-4F9B-87D1-84E332622FF7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I was driving along Parnell Road (D12) behind a slow-moving lorry today. When it went to turn right at Rialto Ford, I filtered up the left of it at the traffic lights. I pulled up alongside and caught a look at why he was driving so slowly.

Just wants a bit of a retread, and the wheel will buff right out.

29248748624_e2c9d2ce7f_h.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Mud-guard might need a spot of plastic welding, thats all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

20170622_144814_zpsvcb9tqem.jpg
    Less teeth than you granny. Not my shame, bleeding Germans cutting corners.

• Advertisement

Ah the good old M271. They never give timing chain issues sure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Bend any valves?

Bend any valves?

No it didn't jump ship amazingly. Just trying to figure out how to strip the sprocket hub.

20170622_163705_zpsnjve2oor.jpg
    Low mileage (100,000) never missed a service, fully synth oil. Just cheese.

Half shaft snapped. Very strange for this to happen

FF7BF8CB-8587-46C1-AD63-00E60EC8D4AA.jpg

Universal joint failed and the resulting vibration ripped the front off the transmission

A645E874-7C80-4BB0-A907-A990D66E598B.jpg

And the new one back in...

D99FBE37-0ABC-42FA-B2A1-ABE91EDB45BF.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Are you working on Mars Slideways?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Are you working on Mars Slideways?

Sometimes it feels like that! I work in central Western Australia in an area known as the Pilbara on iron ore minesites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Slideways wrote: »
    Sometimes it feels like that! I work in central Western Australia in an area known as the Pilbara on iron ore minesites

Any jobs going there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Neilw wrote: »
    Any jobs going there?
    Propshaft welder needed for an immediate start:D

20170622_144814_zpsvcb9tqem.jpg
    Less teeth than you granny. Not my shame, bleeding Germans cutting corners.

Just trying to find away around photobucket nonsense.

20170627_205933.jpg

Tame one this time

2 types of weight fitted
    35890621490_06a6f40b8a_h.jpg

Other wheels had one long strip of weights in the middle of the wheel :confused:

Tyre was from 2003 too :mad:

"Its been making a noise all week, and now you have to pump the brakes. Can you take a look at it ? "

http://i.imgur.com/i7tJHjd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

How did that have a NCT ? surely didn't get that bad in last 12 months.

Got that bad in about a week or so. Once it was metal to metal, it must have really ground away.
    Never saw the entire pad to have escaped before!

Disk was down to half its original thickness, and the piston had pushed out so far the seals were coming out of their bore!

T25 Avensis...?

• Advertisement

T25 Avensis...?

Yes, diesel Avensis. Was towing a trailer seemingly.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yes, diesel Avensis. Was towing a trailer seemingly.

Thought it looked familiar! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ive seen it happen one particular person more than once. Brakes rub steel on steel yet take no action. Back plate of pad wears down and escapes when it becomes thin enough with the resulting pedal to the floor.
    Cost that person a new caliper and discs on both occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Got that bad in about a week or so. Once it was metal to metal, it must have really ground away.
    Never saw the entire pad to have escaped before!

Disk was down to half its original thickness, and the piston had pushed out so far the seals were coming out of their bore!

You would think they would have experienced sparks and smoke coming from the disc with that level of wear happening generating loads of heat, they were probably oblivious to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't fancy meeting a brake pad backing plate flying into my windscreen or on a motorcycle.

Happened me once in Nissan Serena it just made a clunk and pedal went to the floor. Unfortunately I was travelling slowly and the dirty heap of diesel guzzling junk managed to live for another few years until the kind Nct man slapped a red sticker on the window.

Happiest day of my life seeing it being driven off to the scrapyard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jca wrote: »
    Happened me once in Nissan Serena it just made a clunk and pedal went to the floor. Unfortunately I was travelling slowly and the dirty heap of diesel guzzling junk managed to live for another few years until the kind Nct man slapped a red sticker on the window.

Happiest day of my life seeing it being driven off to the scrapyard.

Is there any other speed in a Serena?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think it was the slowest car on sale for a good while, 2.3 litre engine but just 73bhp and 60mph in 27 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Think it was the slowest car on sale for a good while, 2.3 litre engine but just 73bhp and 60mph in 27 seconds

I think I remember that from old top gear ripping the piss out of it.deservedly too awful yoke

Found it 2.50 mins into this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJDIeeSdAE

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is there any other speed in a Serena?

Stopped.....when you're out of diesel. It was the only diesel I ever drove on the shamrock. A neighbour had a petrol version which was actually lighter on fuel:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Stopped.....when you're out of diesel. It was the only diesel I ever drove on the shamrock. A neighbour had a petrol version which was actually lighter on fuel:)

Try servicing the bastards. You filled it with oil in the drivers door and had to go around to the passenger side to dip it!:mad:

They were a grim yoke alright. About 80 turns lock to lock.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Try servicing the bastards. You filled it with oil in the drivers door and had to go around to the passenger side to dip it!:mad:

Ha ha I'd forgotten about the labour intensive topping up procedure, the crock I had burned so much oil I never bothered changing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

pablo128 wrote: »

Ha ha I'd forgotten about the labour intensive topping up procedure, the crock I had burned so much oil I never bothered changing it...

I must have got a good one. 1997 Vanette Cargo 2.3 D, bought spanking new and still going like a (leisurely) rocket. Travels Kilkenny to Dublin and back every other weekend. 130km on the motorway no problem as long as you don't want to listen to the radio :D. Over 200k miles on the clock. I wouldn't be looking to get a new yolk only no one wants to insure it :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

Some people would class this as just a bit of dog hair.
    Apologies that they're all coming out sideways, not sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

never seen an oil filter that's been on a vehicle so long it rusted, just wow

hope you have all your shots and didn't get polio from touching the interior

god speed my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There has to something wrong with the person who was about to let a stranger into their car with quite literally a cup holder full of used cotton buds and sees nothing wrong with it. Least of all would you do it to the stranger who you need to look favourably on your car.

No chance I would have gotten in to that car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

God,I was munching away on a Double Decker when I clicked on that photo with the cotton buds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd not have gotten in to that car without a biohazard suit, what an absolute pure filthy disgrace of a human being to subject someone else to it. Probably the same type of person who calls the NCT a money racket and scam while they drive around in their deathtrap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement