Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation - Noise (Drums)

Options
  • 28-06-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Sorry if the titles a bit vague, but I'm pretty sure there is not a hope of bringing a drumkit up to UCD next year, so I'm thinking of buying an electric kit. Anyone have any experience with them in UCD accomodation? Were there any problems and was the thwack still too loud? Did you get to play them much anyway? I'd definitely be muffling the bass pedal regardless, so I know that's not a problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I knew people who lived in Belgrove right below somebody with a full drum kit, that he regularly played loudly! I don't remember him having any difficulty with the RA's or anything though!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

For the love of god, stay away from Glenomena with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

ELECTRONIC kit! And I'm thinking Merville or Belgrove anyway :)

If you're still worried I'd be using headphones with the kit, not playing them loudly. I used to take lessons (:rolleyes:) and the teacher used an electric kit with a muffled beater for the kick drum because it was too loud. In all honesty the kit itself wasn't loud at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

The guys that lived in the apartment above me last year played the fiddle, and yes, I do mean more than one of them.

They were regularly in trouble with the RA's but it didn't seem to stop them, or get them kicked out for that matter so you should be fine ;)

Just don't play them at two in the morning... Please??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

The guys that lived in the apartment above me last year played the fiddle, and yes, I do mean more than one of them.

They were regularly in trouble with the RA's but it didn't seem to stop them, or get them kicked out for that matter so you should be fine ;)

Just don't play them at two in the morning... Please??? :rolleyes:

Of course not : ) Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Yeah if it's an electronic kit I doubt it'd be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

I lived in Gleno last year and there were first years next door with a full drum kit, banjos, guitars, a fiddle etc. I had a chat with them and explained there were a lot of postgrads around and they were very obliging and only practiced the drums/fiddle during the day. They never got into any bother at all and I know there was a RA living in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

It comes down to common sense. If it's a reasonable volume during the day it shouldn't be too big a problem generally speaking.

Playing an acoustic kit or playing at night is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You're grand with an electronic kit.

Advertisement