Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful price drop site: daftdrop.com

Options
  • 29-06-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just finished developing http://www.daftdrop.com, a new Irish property price tracker. Although in its infancy, it is mature/complete enough to be useful, and hopefully more useful/usable than any alternatives...

I hope you don't see this as a shameless plug because I really have nothing to gain from this, I just think it's a really useful resource.

The most useful part of the website is at http://www.daftdrop.com/#searchView ... I've focused on making it as fast and easy as possible to use; all searching can be done without browing to a new page, and the results table is fully sortable on any column. Each house is clickable to retrieve the full price history, without leaving the page.

Please let me know what you think. Note that it is a non-profit, non-commerical project/experiment (more of a hobby) which I developed in my spare time, so go easy with your criticisms! :)

Cheers,
    rat_race

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Seeing as boards is owned by daft, this'll be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

Yeah, but I think daft are pretty cool when it comes to stuff like this. The main thing they might be annoyed with is the name...easily changed though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Was sceptical... but just did an initial search around the Blackrock area and it works pretty good!

Good job. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Nice idea. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Cool idea, the text above the graphs is very small and hard to read so may be an idea to change that going forward. Also I am getting the warning box to say the site is causing my ie to run slowly too, still waiting for a breakdown as I type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Great idea, but an interface to make the eyes bleed :) The hallmarks of a good techie.

Cool idea, the text above the graphs is very small and hard to read so may be an idea to change that going forward. Also I am getting the warning box to say the site is causing my ie to run slowly too, still waiting for a breakdown as I type

Hmm, seems okay for most people. I bet it's something to do with the charting code; it has some loading to do (as a once off). Try a refresh?
    Great idea, but an interface to make the eyes bleed :) The hallmarks of a good techie.

Haha, yes, I'll take that as a compliment rather than the opposite! ;) It's funny, the colour was almost a joke at the start then I sort of grew to like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Good idea and best of luck with it but the interface needs more work if I was to keep coming back to it. The iframes are a bit awkward to use on my computer and I notice when a price has gone up the percentage is a -%

Dymo wrote: »
    Good idea and best of luck with it but the interface needs more work if I was to keep coming back to it. The iframes are a bit awkward to use on my computer and I notice when a price has gone up the percentage is a -%

Yeah, the "-" is misleading, and will be fixed. Can you be more specific about the interface, apart from the colours? There's no iframes but I guess you mean switching tabs is slow/clunky? I have only tested on fairly beefy machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Doesn't PropertyBee do this already? I don't see how this is better to be honest

• Advertisement

mconigol wrote: »
    Doesn't PropertyBee do this already? I don't see how this is better to be honest

Well I've never managed to get PropertyBee to work, like a lot of people. It seems to be up and down like a yoyo!

Also, you're tied to using Firefox and it's extra software you must install on each machine you want to use. Although I haven't used it for these reasons, I'm sure it's quite good. I didn't get the impressions that the report it generates is anything like the one on daftdrop.com. I could be wrong.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

that was the most depressing read, i have had in a long time.

two houses on my road, have dropped their price by 30k in the last month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

rat_race wrote: »
    Well I've never managed to get PropertyBee to work, like a lot of people. It seems to be up and down like a yoyo!

Also, you're tied to using Firefox and it's extra software you must install on each machine you want to use. Although I haven't used it for these reasons, I'm sure it's quite good. I didn't get the impressions that the report it generates is anything like the one on daftdrop.com. I could be wrong.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to find things to be critical about but building a website seems like a lot more work than having firefox installed tbh!

Anyway best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sweeno69

very nice - bookmarked

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

I think that's brilliant well done.

Quick question - Does it take into account properties on myhome.ie no?

Ortiz wrote: »
    I think that's brilliant well done.

Quick question - Does it take into account properties on myhome.ie no?

Thanks for the comment.

No, not currently. If there's a demand/good reason for it, I may add that support but I find the majority of houses on myhome.ie are always also on daft.ie, BUT I haven't any conclusive proof...that is just from manual checking...if you have an opinion I'd love to know.

cheers,
    Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Very nice site, it might be worth dropping it over to the website review forum also. Link

I just have one or two feature requests that might be useful for people in the future as per my comment on your site
    I would recommend that a feature to export to an excel file is added as this enables people view the data offline also. I would also suggest that if possible the county selection box is enabled to allow multiple county selections eg I may want to see changes in Carlow and Wexford. (similar comment with locality selection eg Ballon & Bunclody) Regards Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Thanks for the comment.

No, not currently. If there's a demand/good reason for it, I may add that support but I find the majority of houses on myhome.ie are always also on daft.ie, BUT I haven't any conclusive proof...that is just from manual checking...if you have an opinion I'd love to know.

cheers,
    Cormac

Sherry Fitzgerald specifically, and I think DNG - aren't both involved in myhome? - do not list on Daft unless a house has been for sale for a lengthy period or are under pressure, at which point they list it on Daft but with agent details anonymised. So it's only a subset of their properties on daft.

Can you be more specific about the interface, apart from the colours? There's no iframes but I guess you mean switching tabs is slow/clunky? I have only tested on fairly beefy machines.

The site is using Frames which will rank your page poorly with Google and will look very confusing on a lot of people monitors, a bit all bunched up
    <iframe src="javascript:''" id="__gwt_historyFrame" tabIndex='-1'
    style="position: absolute; width: 0; height: 0; border: 0"></iframe>

Sherry Fitz, DNG and Gunne don't advertise on daft as they're not allowed to due to an agreement with myhome.ie so it might be worth looking in to as Sherrys and DNG are probably the two biggest firms in the country.

Just a thought - overall I love the site, it makes for very interesting reading! Can see myself using it very often

• Advertisement

lainey316 wrote: »
    Sherry Fitzgerald specifically, and I think DNG - aren't both involved in myhome? - do not list on Daft unless a house has been for sale for a lengthy period or are under pressure, at which point they list it on Daft but with agent details anonymised. So it's only a subset of their properties on daft.

No, The Myhome.ie property web site was bought by the Irish Times for €50m in 2006. The website was set up by in 2001 by estate agents Sherry Fitzgerald, the Gunne Group and Douglas Newman Good. So they now can advertise anywhere now.

No, The Myhome.ie property web site was bought by the Irish Times for €50m in 2006. The website was set up by in 2001 by estate agents Sherry Fitzgerald, the Gunne Group and Douglas Newman Good. So they now can advertise anywhere now.

Thanks - couldn't remember if DNG were a partner.

I wonder if there was something in the sales agreement to restrict their listings on other sites, as not one of 'their' houses I've seen appear on my home in the past month is listed on Daft. The houses I know are with DNG that are listed are listed without an agent name, but I know there are more for sale (including one I saw this week) with them not listed on Daft. Very, very few of the SF ones are listed, again without an agent name - actually none today that I can see. Neither is the only Gunne property I want to see.

This is only in the areas I am looking at in Dublin of course, can't speak for the rest of the country.

No part of the sales agreement restricted these companies from selling on daft as far as i'm aware. All you need to do is look online and you won't see a DNG or Sherry Fitz brand selling properties. The franchise and rental branches can advertise on daft for whatever reason but not the sales

The site is using Frames which will rank your page poorly with Google and will look very confusing on a lot of people monitors, a bit all bunched up

The site isn't "using Frames" in the way which you have implied. There is one constantly hidden iFrame, which is solely used in a core feature of Google Web Toolkit: history & back-button support. Many other modern web frameworks use the same technique. This has nothing to do with anything visual that you think you may have seen and it causes me no concerns for search engine placement.

Let me worry about SEO, I have no concerns there -- but like all Ajax websites, there are challenges. That's not what I intended this thread to be about. I'm more concerned with how it was a "bit awkward to use" on your computer...but I can assure you it has nothing to do with frames.

If you're still confused, check out: http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideCodingBasicsHistory.html ...

Cheers,
    C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

As a techie myself I rank functionality as 95% of the marks and if it looks pretty the final 5%. Considering this I give it 96%

professore wrote: »
    As a techie myself I rank functionality as 95% of the marks and if it looks pretty the final 5%. Considering this I give it 96%

Haha...100% in functionality? I'm happy with that! ;)

What is it specifically though, the colour? The chart page needs a bit of work...also, there needs to be some padding fixed in various places (I notice the site looks rather different in IE, too)...but apart from these I thought it looked pretty nice.

That said, I made a conscious decision not to spend forever on the UI because I can often spend too long on making things pretty and not enough time on actually making it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Cool site. Best of luck.

I don't like the slidey pages but that's just a personal thing

The search could do with being smarter/fuzzier. eg searching for harolds cross should bring back harold's cross as well. Also searching for D4, it ignores D4 - would be nice to have a message, looks like you ignore search strings below a certain length?

It would be nice to have a column with type of property, and ability to filter on that - I have no interest in apartments, for example, only want to see houses. Minor thing tho.

lainey316 wrote: »
    I don't like the slidey pages but that's just a personal thing

The search could do with being smarter/fuzzier. eg searching for harolds cross should bring back harold's cross as well. Also searching for D4, it ignores D4 - would be nice to have a message, looks like you ignore search strings below a certain length?

It would be nice to have a column with type of property, and ability to filter on that - I have no interest in apartments, for example, only want to see houses. Minor thing tho.

Yes, the Harold's Cross VS. Harolds Cross thing is a bug which I will get fixed...the problem is that quotation marks, etc., are ignored BUT then the comparison become "Harold s Cross", so "Harolds Cross" is not a match for "Harold's Cross".

You're right about ignoring search strings less than 2 (or 3) characters as well. This is a bug also.

Regarding filtering on house type, yes this would be nice but you risk missing properties you're interested in if you attempt to narrow it down. For example, look at these distinct types:

Semi-Detached House
    Apartment For Sale
    Terraced House
    Detached House
    End of Terrace House
    Townhouse
    Site For Sale
    New Development
    Bungalow For Sale
    Duplex For Sale
    House For Sale
    New Home
    UNKOWN HOUSE TYPE

...but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,
    Cormac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

Good site but it seems to be a replacement for Irish House Hunter rather than the property bee. The reports are much easier to read on Irish House Hunter though. The columns seem to be better spaced out. But I don't think it would take much to really improve your site.

Edit: I don't like the sliding/framing effect either.

Advertisement