Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful price drop site: daftdrop.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

rat_race wrote: »
    Regarding filtering on house type, yes this would be nice but you risk missing properties you're interested in if you attempt to narrow it down. For example, look at these distinct types:

Semi-Detached House
    <snip>
    Actually was thinking of myhome again - they have tiered categorisation that daft don't have. So all those house types are subtypes of house. So don't mind me - you'd have to build something on top of the daft data model to do it, a mapping table I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

It doesnt seem to show the majority of price drops in my own area. I normally check collapso which shows up drops in the space of a year of 2 or 3 times more properties then your website. Clonakilty would be the area if you want to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

Balmed Out wrote: »
    It doesnt seem to show the majority of price drops in my own area. I normally check collapso which shows up drops in the space of a year of 2 or 3 times more properties then your website. Clonakilty would be the area if you want to check.

Hey Balmed Out,

This is because I've only been tracking data since May, so there is no possible way to know price history that occurred before this. This isn't an issue because as time goes on old price changes become less important. So my software is tracking all houses and will notice any new price changes from May onwards forever and ever and ever ;) ...

Cheers,
    Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

ahh makes sense. Sorry hadnt realised that

I've addressed several of the issues mentioned in this thread. More to come.

Cheers,
    Cormac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Fair play rat_race, its people like yourself and their innovation that will drag Ireland out of recession.
    It may not be perfect just yet but I think this site will serve property buyers very well into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Nice site Rat Race

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Not to seem picky, but now the search is too fuzzy :) Searching for "dublin 6" brings back everything with "dublin" and "6" so no.6 someeroad drumcondra e.g., 6 bed houses anywhere in dublin, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It doesn't work on the work comp running IE7 and win XP.

RasTa wrote: »
    It doesn't work on the work comp running IE7 and win XP.
    Sorry to hear that -- are you getting errors, or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It is working now, IE being it's usual self, keeps on getting the script is causing the comp to run slow message

Several more improvements / fixes for anyone interested.

Thanks,
    credmond

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Several more improvements / fixes for anyone interested.

Thanks,
    credmond

This is really interesting, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

search for "dublin 1" returns dublin 11,12,15 etc
    apparently there was an increase from 180k to 340k for 3 gandon house but the change is showing as a "drop" .

looks great, is very fast, well done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Great work!.

mari2222 wrote: »
    search for "dublin 1" returns dublin 11,12,15 etc
    apparently there was an increase from 180k to 340k for 3 gandon house but the change is showing as a "drop" .

looks great, is very fast, well done:)

What's actually happening is that the "1", or any number, can apply to the number of bedrooms/bathrooms too. I think I'll make it so the description is not included in the text search because nobody will ever really search on number of bedrooms/bathrooms.

With regards to 3 gandon house, it looks fine to me. It's red, it's a "+", meaning price increase. Is this not what you're seeing?

Thanks for the feedback :)

FYI -- for anyone interested, there are some big improvements to daftdrop.com.

The main change is that you can now bookmark custom searches or individual houses searches, and/or share the links with others; search will happen automatically and with the same options you chose. Second biggy is that there is now a new reports section. And the third change is that there are now quick links from the homepage, county-by-county.

There's a few other small improvements/bug fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Great site-I use it all the time.
    Off to check out the new improvements!! :)

It's been a while!

Anyway, just letting you know there's new update to www.daftdrop.com now which allows you to receive house price change e-mail notifcations...very handy.

Graphs are looking a bit nicer too.

Thanks,
    Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

Very useful, thanks!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

nice work, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nice work, a fine advert for your skills, I've just emailed it onto a couple of friends.

Have you given any more thought to including myhome.ie into the site? Could return some interesting data even where the same house exists on both sites (e.g. movements on one site ahead of the other etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i'd love to see a top 100 price drop list added to the site or something along them lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Is it not a bit unusual to have the minus figure in green, and plus in red, seems like it would make more sense the other way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

dearg lady wrote: »
    Is it not a bit unusual to have the minus figure in green, and plus in red, seems like it would make more sense the other way! :)

It's for people who want to buy. Green is better, red is worse.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    It's for people who want to buy. Green is better, red is worse.

I dunno, to me it's irrelevant which is better or worse, minuses are always in red, but that's probably so instilled in me because of my job! :)

Sleepy wrote: »
    Have you given any more thought to including myhome.ie into the site? Could return some interesting data even where the same house exists on both sites (e.g. movements on one site ahead of the other etc.)
    A few people have mentioned that...and I had considered it, but myhome.ie have actually noe provided their own price drop search facility on their site. It's not great, but it works.

The reason I didn't mix the two (daft.ie and myhome.ie) together is that firstly most houses seem to also end up on daft...particularly if they don't sell on myhome.ie. Or so I've been told/led to believe, I am not 100% sure -- I could be totally wrong. Secondly, you end up with tonnes of duplicate data to manage and inevitably it's going to be impossible to figure out with accracy, with house maps to the houses from myhome.ie. There is no key or link between the two. Decription/name/address, whatever helps,...but often it's not enough.
    dearg lady wrote: »

A few people have also said that...it's just a visual cue to quickly sort. But yeah, the thinking is that green is good, red is bad...are you an estate agent? :D

Anyway, thanks all for the comments -- I do take them all on board.

A few people have also said that...it's just a visual cue to quickly sort. But yeah, the thinking is that green is good, red is bad...are you an estate agent? :D

Ha, no chance! Accountant, so I'm used to seeing minus figures in red :) It's funny how we have these colour associations when ya think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

davet82 wrote: »
    i'd love to see a top 100 price drop list added to the site or something along them lines
    That's a great idea, should be pretty quick to implement too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Is there any chance of adding the price foe rented accommodation?

It's seems to be a brilliant website, no doubt about that, but I'm more interested in renting, rather that buying and maybe, I'm not the only one ;)

Advertisement