Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teething and refusing bottle

Options
  • 29-06-2011 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

At least we think its teething. She's a very happy healthy baby normally she Just does not want to eat. I know it's common for babies to go off there food while teething but I'm just wondering if she is happy other than feed time how bad can it be? She completely refused this morning bottles so is eating nothing rather than less, common? And how long can eating nothing go on for before it's a serious problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

dellWlan wrote: »
    At least we think its teething. She's a very happy healthy baby normally she Just does not want to eat. I know it's common for babies to go off there food while teething but I'm just wondering if she is happy other than feed time how bad can it be? She completely refused this morning bottles so is eating nothing rather than less, common? And how long can eating nothing go on for before it's a serious problem?

Is she dribbling a lot? Hot red cheeks? Chewing hands? Those along with being off her feeds would suggest teeth. Otherwise she might be just off form coming down with a cold or something?

When my daughter was teething first she went off her bottles but she would drink sugared water or very diluted cordial. She was taking just bolied cooled water too but the extra sugar gave her a bit of energy.

I would say if she won't feed for 24hrs then I would contact your PHN or GP or pharmacist just to be on the safe side.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

How old is she, is she only on bottles?

Babies won't starve themselves, however if the bottle is the only source of liquid they can get dehydrated.

You could try cup feeding her a little, even if all she wants is water.

I'd keep a close eye on the nappies, it seems to be one of the first signs of them getting dehydrated when they're not as heavy.

Remember you can always ring your Public Health Nurse free of charge at any time if you're worried or just for tips.

Advertisement