Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship scheme.

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Regardless of what the kemo intern would be doing, I still don't like the idea of the state allowing private industry to take on staff without having to pay them. Sure, some internships will offer experience and that's all good but I still think the money should be coming from the company and not the state.

As my grandfather put it to me when I told him about this, people "back in the day" did apprenticeships. They got paid crap money but the pay was coming from the people teaching them and in return, they helped out with more mundane tasks leaving others free to work on intricate things. I myself did a paid internship some years ago for an IT company, they gave me min wage and experience and I wrote simple code so the developers could work on more complicated things.

Of course, many companies would claim not to have the money to pay anyone and in many cases, I'd believe them. Thus, I suggested would result in less interns but one paid worker is better than ten unpaid wreches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd view a specific internship in specific areas as benefical e.g. recent Eng/science/IT grads with no industrial experience in their degree area for 6 a month period.

The problem with the jobbridge scheme is the amount of frankly useless internships that you would learn all you need to know in a week not 9 months.

I would encourage anyone who sees an internship they would view as useless to contact jobbridge and let them know your opinion. There are contact details on their website. I've emailed to complain about 4 positions which have since been removed. If you don't complain nothing will happen and we will hear in a few months time how great this scheme is when we all know different!

scheme is a crock of crap, hard to believe people now have to argue that they should be paid by their employer

am currently abroad and being PAID wow shock horror ! how unusual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Its all smoke and mirrors with the employers,they tried to totally abuse the system and were caught by the public.
    Now they are carefully wording the job advertisement to avoid any negative publicity for the organisation but its the same exploitation.
    You hardly need an internship to work in a fish and chip shop or a petrol station,when I was 15 I worked in these places on the weekends now they are trying to fancy it up with the prospect of experience in the industry,sorry but its pure exploitation and frankly I am disgusted by the government for letting this carry on so long.
    I intend writing to the two TD`s I helped elect and complain about a number of abuses I have observed on this site.
    People power will only get a change to this scheme and I urge people frustrated by it to email you local TD on the issue.
    As a previous poster said it should only be for high tech jobs on a 6 month internship with potential to gain fulltime employment.
    Hey but this is Ireland and I will not hold my breath that any changes will come about soon.

Advertisement