Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Topper - 8ft Trailed or 3pt Offset

• 29-06-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

First time poster, and really have only started to follow boards and getting invalueable info.

Ok I need topper advice. 8ft trailed vs 8ft offset on the 3pt and which brand. (ill be buying new as i love the capital allowances. (im a bean counter :eek:))

Tractor is Lambo 1050 premium turbo (105hp on good days / SAME 100.4) also the auld lad is non farmer has a 6911 life is better with a Zetor for the turf so free to me for use aswell as my own bus. Going to go a bit of hire work also next year. Plan on also buying an aerator:rolleyes:.

My case. part time farmers, new to it since March 2010. My auld lad is off a dairy farm, but never farmed it except for picking stones and tinning turnips :rolleyes:. I have always loved farming and when in school and college worked with a sucker/sheep farmer and did the whole agri contractor stuff so i know a little only. Herself is a reformed urban resident, who know enjoys feeding calves:D (its all in the training)
    We both work full time off the farm. Well she works half days half of the year, Im saying no more

Thank you all in advance and i hope to be more involved in this community.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

For what its worth, trailed as offset you're cutting grass thats been driven on but really a disc mower will give a cleaner cut and more versatility as in cutting hay or silage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

trailed as offset you're cutting grass thats been driven on

offset ...... means out to the side of the tractor (when in the working position) :rolleyes: So no you wouldn't be cutting grass that has been driven on.

To answer OP's question, I really would love to know what the difference/advantages are between trailer v mounted offset when working. Afterall they're both basically the same machine save for the way they're mounted. (Does a trailed follow the ground better??)

I've an offset abbey which I find excellent (0f course I would.... it's my own machine :-0). One point that I would mention, which might often be overlooked is STORAGE. It's important as it'I be sitting up more days than it'I be used. With the mounted offset you can swing hydraulics to park it in shed whatever way is handiest (ie in transport or working position).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Muckit wrote: »
    trailed as offset you're cutting grass thats been driven on

offset ...... means out to the side of the tractor (when in the working position) :rolleyes: So no you wouldn't be cutting grass that has been driven on.

To answer OP's question, I really would love to know what the difference/advantages are between trailer v mounted offset when working. Afterall they're both basically the same machine save for the way they're mounted. (Does a trailed follow the ground better??)

I've an offset abbey which I find excellent (0f course I would.... it's my own machine :-0). One point that I would mention, which might often be overlooked is STORAGE. It's important as it'I be sitting up more days than it'I be used. With the mounted offset you can swing hydraulics to park it in shed whatever way is handiest (ie in transport or working position).

You're right, I was thinking semi-offset:o Had a 6' Major semi offset and its was hopeless as the driven on grass wouldn't cut.

I'm not sure regarding what is the difference, do trailed toppers have any form of suspension? Trailed would be easier attached anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Ideally i want to purchase a new machine and to be honest for the few acres of silage i cut it doesnt warrant a disk mower. I read the other threads of topper v mower.

I have used a 6ft major & Malone semi offset (hate the wheel marks)

Used a 8ft full offset Major on 3pt and found it to be a lovely machine. It was new out of the box and i saw it in the farmers yard last week and looked fairly fresh. He would be topping 100 - 150 acres a year and machine is approx 6 or 7 years old.

I was pricing machines today and one sales man sade the full offset breaks the arms and casue gearbox damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

we have an 8ft conor trailed topper, good machine, advantage is in rough ground you can lift it on the hydraulics to what ever height you wish and it runs on the wheels so it stays level unlike the mounted once you lift it it tends to bounce and sway,
    Dis advantage not as easy to manouver in tight corners, its like steering a trailer etc plus the wheels are sticking out a good bit at the back so you cant get right back in as far as you'd like
    another is when hitched up to the tractor hook its too high on the front as you cant let it down like you can with the lift arms on the mounted, it was set up that way when we got it but i would suggest towing it on the drawbar or on a nine hole bar on the lift arms, so get the pto shaft good and long to allow you to to this (it will also give you more clearance when turning tight on the headlands)

I would have to agree with above re disc mowers i topped a paddock beside a paddock i took out for silage, no comparison in the grass coming back, the topped grass is still stringy, beaten looking and patchy

• Advertisement

F D thak you for the info on the trailed wheeled version. What hp is required to drive the trailed topper? and do you find Conor a good make. I have been looking at major, abbey fleming and conor.

I just dont want to make a mistake and purchase one type and forever regret my mistake. I have a large fully closed in shed for the machinery, although i know a lad beside the auld pair who makes machinery covers with the same material that is use for lorry cover so i may get a cover made up. That way i can keep my digger inside

we're running it on a 90hp new holland no problem at all, just be aware no amount of HP is going to cut it any quicker, if its light and well grazed they will all go through it quickly, if there is any bulk in it at all its a slow job the grass simply cant go through the machine any quicker, but the 5-10% of rough ground dictates i have a topper until i get it leveled, then i might trade it for a disc mower where you can get some speed up in the bigger level paddocks,
    it is a bit more difficult to store but i open up the drawbar until its 90 degree to the machine and park things along side it

Thank you again. One of the sales lads told me he knows lads driving a 8ft trailed topper with a MF 165. Would a zetor 6911 drive it so? Im not into pushing machinery to the limit but if it was an opion it would leave me with the 4wd tractor free to do slurry or bog work where the extra power and traction and indeed ability to stop is required.

FD how do you find the topper on the road? the trailed seem to fold up better that the conditioner mowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Yeah I have a friend running an 8 or 9 foot trailed rossmore topper behind a 165 too. shouldnt need much power for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have an 8ft conor trailed. It can be steered around fence posts so handy in that regard. It cuts well too and Id say anything will drive it.

I also have a disc mower, but it cuts far far too low to be used as a topper. It is a farm we have, not a golf course.

• Advertisement

Thanks Johnboy and maidhc.

Its looking increasingly more like a trailed version so.

What brand should i buy is the next question?

What price should i be looking to give for trailed. I had a price of £2,200 for the 8ft full offset fleming model plus vat

As regards getting bad results with a topper, it all depends on how you use it and look after the machine. I give the flails on mine a bit of copper grease at the pivot points to keep them swinging freely and also keep an edge on them with 'mop' disc on small angle grinder. I set the skids on the lowest setting (although if your contracting you'I prob want to keep it up a notch or two if you don't know the ground). Saying they're all shearbolt protected.

I wouldn't rule out ABBEY either OP. They are a well built machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I have a 5'6" Belmac semi offset topper. It's grand for the few acres I top every year. It's down to how much use you have for it really. If you're doing a lot of acres then get a trailed fully offset.
    As regards power, you'd be surprised how little you need, apart from rushes, in which case just drive very slowly.

http://www.belmac.ie/index.php?p=5&id=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

If getting a trailed it may be worth spending a bit extra on a wide-angle PTO shaft. Ordinary ones can break eventually due to stress and fatigue. Mounted toppers can be heavy when in transport, unlike trailed.

5ft 6" is fine for the amount of topping i have to do, but because im off the farm full time i dont have the time to be driving around and around and around.and to be honest the finish it poor. I got the loan of a 5ft 6 a few weeks ago and now all the tramped parts strip the field. The neightbours think im mad enough :0

And ideally im looking to do a bit of hire work next year or even this year.

MfMan wrote: »
    If getting a trailed it may be worth spending a bit extra on a wide-angle PTO shaft. Ordinary ones can break eventually due to stress and fatigue. Mounted toppers can be heavy when in transport, unlike trailed.

wide angle shaft is essential!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

maidhc wrote: »
    wide angle shaft is essential!
    is it not standard? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CCM

Hello All,

Ok I need topper advice. 8ft trailed vs 8ft offset on the 3pt and which brand. (ill be buying new as i love the capital allowances. (im a bean counter :eek:))

community.

Are you only supposed to claim capital allowances on brand new equipment? I've always claimed the depreciation on all equipment starting year one at the price I paid for it.

CCM - your allowed to claim capital allowances on second hand. But if im going to do some hire work then i prefer a new machine with less likehood of break downs

pajero12 wrote: »
    is it not standard? :confused:

Nope. My Conor didn't come with one, but that was back in the mid 90's.

• Advertisement

Im pricing around ans so far there seems to be approx €1500 of a difference between a 3pt and a trailed topper. Thats a fair chunk of money taking into consideration they are the same machine expect the way they are mounted.

Would i be better buying a 8ft topper and a seperate 8ft roller

or 8ft trailed (same price for either package) consider that i plan on doing some contract work next year

Thanks so far for all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Im pricing around ans so far there seems to be approx €1500 of a difference between a 3pt and a trailed topper. Thats a fair chunk of money taking into consideration they are the same machine expect the way they are mounted.

Would i be better buying a 8ft topper and a separate 8ft roller

or 8ft trailed (same price for either package) consider that i plan on doing some contract work next year

Thanks so far for all the advice

is roller for the topper?
    for a farming application?
    its not for putting lovely lines on the field like Croke Park.

or do you mean the saving by going mounted would allow you purchase a roller? 8ft roller would have to be a folding/end tow version and rather more expensive than 1500.

Im getting a fleming 8ft roller for 1050 sterling. Ill add a set of transtor wheels myself.

Or i can pick up a 8ft x30 x 10mm on wheels already (watson) for 1800

The roller will be for hire

Ha its westmeath i live in, its years since ive been to croker to look at the grass ;)

Have you done any canvassing yet?

Do you expect to get much work topping and rolling, or do you just see it as a temporary measure to pay for the cost of buying the equipment?

If i got 100 - 150 acres or so of topping and rolling and that way i could justify to herself that buying an aerator is a good idea.

By the way, what are the rates for

Topping one acre
    Rolling one acre
    Single pass of aerator per acre
    Single pass aerator with seeder
    Single pass aerator with the smal crumble roller attached

Mini digger hire (2.8t) machine per day

trailer 12ft x 7ft with Tractor and driver per hour

Tractor and 1600 Gallon Slurry tanker (Russian Wheels) per hour

Cheers

I would seriously wonder how much work you would get rolling and topping, as much as they promote contracting everything out in the journal, these are items every farmer has and had probably got kids, or relations that wont mind driving for a few hours and wont cost him a fortune, the aeration i would say would be a better bet if you avertise well in your area, and the money you spend on the roller/topper will be a good chunk of the aerator paid for

To be honest it doesnt bother me to much on the amount of contracting i do. I know for sure nobody within 15 miles does adertise for topping and rolling. And sometimes its these things lads are looking for.

I do think the aerator has a great chance to pay for itsself and make me some beer money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

tbh i reckon topping is pretty much a job for each farmer.
    if you delay topping by more than 5days you end up topping regrowth aswell.
    i've had to skip a few fields that could of done with it already this year do to the weather and pressure of getting other jobs done first.

have you checked out these tined grassland seeders or the like of the guttler grass seeders.

I know for sure nobody within 15 miles does adertise for topping and rolling.

So you haven't done any canvessing to see if you'I get any work then? If you get contracting work topping and rolling I'I eat my hat! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

trailed topper would be much easier to hook up and there is no setting up after initial set up. assume mounted one needs top link set arms adjusted stays tightened, alright if you have a good modern tractor with controls on mudguards all check chains in order etc

Yes with the lambo all the stabilising chains ae present and i can contol the lift arms from out the back.

As i work full time off the farm, im not reliant on the contracting element. But most of the farmers locally are suckler and herself does he off each summer for 2 months and turn on the radio and AC and off she goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

is your other half aware of your plans to pimp her out? or does she think it's you'll be doing all this contracting?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mf2909

Hi there
    I have a Conor 6ft semi offset for the last 10 years. Used it on 165 no problem and on 390, Leaves good cut but i sharpen after each use otherwise only beating the grass. Would intend moving to a fully offset as budget is too small for disc mower. id keep the 6ft for rough work. I ahve tried 8ft fully offset and i find they hang a bit too much at the end, just seems too far away, few other lads find the same, hoping to get 7ft one instead. One thing to consider is topping height when buying and if you look at fully veersus semi offset its two rotors against and some have tow blades/flails on each arm so better cut. I used Conor 6ft as it has the HD comer gearbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

If your interested i know of a major 900t trailed topper for sale, mint condition with wide angle shaft only topped 50 acres the past 2 year, was in dealers yard ever since

send me on photos and best price. Im almost ready to deal

• Advertisement
Advertisement