Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swanky new radar on met.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Can't they do anything right ??

Eyes .... hurting :eek:

I think they use the same crowd that build the Vodafone website ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It seems to be lower resolution too. Even when i zoomed in using ctrl+ it still seems small/hard to read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Its really difficult to read - horrible! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Pretty similar to uk met radar, it's a bit annoying but it's new so I'll give them a chance to tweek before I slate them.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think they need to make the image bigger as one has to look very intently to see what the rain and the area one is in.

Checks my phone to compare...not too bad on the iPhone as you can easily enlarge the image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Looks like the change has stopped others from using it ie . iPhone apps that linked to the old one :(

The "Irish Weather" app will crash if radar view is now selected..hope they have a fix soon ..handy little app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

DominoDub wrote: »
    Looks like the change has stopped others from using it ie . iPhone apps that linked to the old one :(

The "Irish Weather" app will crash if radar view is now selected..hope they have a fix soon ..handy little app

There was a guy who posted about a gadget for one's PC or laptop, you know the things along the side of the screen, well it is still using the old radar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Impossible to see where the showers are on that new radar, why dont they make the country all one color like the UK radar, Country brown and at least you can see where the rain is.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

DominoDub wrote: »

Confirm crash: Roger good app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Have to say I don't like it. Something about the contrast of colours with the white background makes it uncomfortable to look at.

I think if they made it larger or gave the ability to zoom that would improve it a lot I think.

I do like the ability to move the frames forward/backward though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

muppets who ever made that it looks 16 bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

weisses wrote: »
    Can't they do anything right ??

Eyes .... hurting :eek:

I think they use the same crowd that build the Vodafone website ? ;)

Yes, eyes really hurting. That blurring of one frame into another is insane, like pulsating blurred vision :eek:

And its only showing Shannon radar, Dublin appears to have gone AWOL again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

eigrod wrote: »

Think you should make this thread a POLL ... , i certainly don't like it either, whoever did it doesnt know the colour circle!

Straining my eyes trying to concentrate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

It's very appropriate that the Dublin radar in down for the launch!

I must say the one they had was perfect, why fix ruin it? At least it's better than the pre 2008 radar display, it was like you had 20 pixels dedicated to it! The odd time you still see the same low-res radar on their TV forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Another one for the don't like it club :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Ah lads that's horrible... Surely its a work in progress and there's a few more changes and tweak's to come:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I like it, don't see anything wrong, if anything its better than the old one as you can control which frames you see and i find it easier to see the showers.

hurts my eyes!
    but the pause and forward/reverse functions are good - hopefully they will tweak it!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Oh dear, its awful, they could learn alot from raintoday. The only thing I dont like about raintoday is that they dont have enough contrast in the echos with the varable colours from blue to red etc. But really ME, this is an embarrassment when compared to raintoday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ugh, not a big fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I emailed them earlier, wait and see if they reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I hope they are reading this thread and taking notes. A kid would do better in mspaint! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

It doesn't sit easy on the eyes.

Too hard to see exactly where the echoes are covering.

As already mentioned, the blurring between frames is really off putting, especially if looking closely at the screen.

The legend to the right of the display is very distracting as its so large and colourful. There is a huge white empty space to the right of this which catches the eye and once you've noticed it is very distracting.

The scale is incorrectly labeled. Its only labeled in mm, there is not time period stated i.e. mm/hour

I think it will be hard to distinguish between the 1.5 to 4mm per hour rate and the 4mm to 32mm per hour rate.

Do like the ability to step frame by frame and pause but the resolution and size are terrible.

However I'm sure there must be a very good reason for the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Just add I think it looks terrible as well...someone start a petition to restore the old familiar look..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

I dont like it either,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I think it is an improvement, it needs more work to make it visually acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I hope it's just a mistake and will be taken off once they have discovered a summer student has been messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Like that

You can see the county borders better

Pause play function

Dont like

Colours are hard to distinguish

Dublin radar still not working properly

Dont want the old radar back though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

A colour selector would be perfect solution..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Old radar still on www.met.ie home page under article on Dublin radar at bottom of page

Advertisement