Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swanky new radar on met.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Just for my info and I hope I'm not going too far off topic:
    Note: On some images a linear feature may be seen extending from Limerick towards Waterford. This is due to interference from a WiFi system. Occasionally other similar features may be seen extending from Dublin towards the South-east

Does anyone know what these "WiFi Systems" are?

its bigger now and is alot better!
    no longer hurts my eyes! :)

Just for my info and I hope I'm not going too far off topic:

Does anyone know what these "WiFi Systems" are?

wireless internet - could be anything from line of sight wireless internet to the wide broadcast type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

North Kilkenny extending into Laois and Carlow seems to be the prime area for the interference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

wireless internet - could be anything from line of sight wireless internet to the wide broadcast type
    I think the new radar is partly a TDWR which uses frequencies in the 5.6ghz range ( and that is in the 802.11N Wifoi range and I further suspect Ripplecom have 5.6ghz links in the Limerick/South Limerick/North Cork area where the interference appears to be. Ripplecom AFAIK use Ubiquiti Airmax MIMO gear which gear has been caught in flagrante interfering with TDWR systems in the past and they also use various Microtik Routerboards some of which also do MIMO.

Don't worry guys. This is Ireland so Comreg will do precisely **** all about it :D Unlike the FCC in the USA

http://www.telecommediatechlaw.com/broadband/fcc-fines-broadband-operator-for-causing-interference-to-tdwr-operations-readies-rulemaking-proceedi/
    Utah Broadband found out the hard way as the FCC assessed the company a $25,000 fine for violating rules designed to prevent interference to Terminal Doppler Weather Radar (TDWR) stations that operate in the 5.6 GHz band to detect wind shear and microbursts that can affect aviation safety. In this case, an FCC/FAA enforcement team found that Utah Broadband had modified its transmission equipment to impair TDWR operations at the facility located near the Salt Lake City International Airport. In addition to its enforcement efforts, the FCC intends to launch a rulemaking proceeding to create a long-term solution to enable access to more than 100 megahertz of spectrum in the 5.6 GHz band, to allow new devices to be certified and to improve interference protection to existing TDWR locations.

Then again maybe the IAA never told anyone they intended to deploy a TDWR and maybe they didn't even deploy a TDWR.

However I will give short odds on a Ubiquiti Airmax MIMO being the source or else some Microtik MIMO mashup or other.
    . I can't see Ripplecom customers being too happy at the interference from a bloody big weather radar either come to think of it. Ripplecom also have gear around Dublin airport ( to the west and south west) and in East Kildare, if not in Kilkenny too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm not finding the new system all that different once I got used to the different appearance of it. I do appreciate the easier location of radar echoes relative to county borders. We'll see better perhaps during the expected heavier rainfalls of mid-week when there is more on the screen. I tend to use the magnifier function on my screen a lot during severe weather.

Would say one thing about half the budget, boards.ie weather forum forecasts would very soon be issued from Tahiti rather than current location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Would say one thing about half the budget, boards.ie weather forum forecasts would very soon be issued from Tahiti rather than current location.

Why not, we're doing fine from Canada already. Is your cousin down there? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

gbee wrote: »
    Why not, we're doing fine from Canada already. Is your cousin down there? :)

Google "Vahine" ! Maybe MT would fancy spending his massive new salary under blue skies & with pleasant company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

They need to check the date stamp on the radar animation. As of 0630 today (Monday 4th) it was reading Sunday 3 July. I noticed this the day before also. At some point the date becomes correct, it's not 24h out all the time.

I have just compared the old & new maps side by side & there is big difference. The new radar map is showing significantly more rain. Showers appear bigger on the new map than they do on the old one.

It remains to be seen which version most accurately reflects the real situation on the ground. Also we will have to see how much of this is down to the graphics rather than rainfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

and the fact that they won't use the belfast radar must be really annoying for ye too . . .

Anyone think there is need for better radar coverage in the W/NW? For a country on the edge of the atlantic it seems a bit daft that we only have Dublin and Shannon, or rely on UK sites for extended atlantic coverage.

Storms data only visible at the last minute appearing over Galway and Donegal at the outer range of the radar circle. Probably won't happen unless Ireland West Airports met is upgraded in the future.

Well according to the radar a lump of yellow rain :eek: has just passed overhead but not a drop of rain fell !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Discodog wrote: »
    Well according to the radar a lump of yellow rain :eek: has just passed overhead but not a drop of rain fell !

Oh, that's never ever happened before!

Be patient, they will tweek this for awhile, stop complaining about it, it's in it's infancy.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Be patient, they will tweek this for awhile, stop complaining about it, it's in it's infancy.

THIS statement is ridiculous. Infancy? It's like ten years behind standard and it's not like cooperation isn't available, but that's a question you need to put to Met Eireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

THIS statement is ridiculous. Infancy? It's like ten years behind standard and it's not like cooperation isn't available, but that's a question you need to put to Met Eireann.

I think he meant that the new upgraded radar is in its infancy. I'd be more concerned about the fact that newly upgraded Dublin radar is going down so soon.

Well I still think that the old radar is much easier to read - the new one just seems so cluttered. But he are the two current images to compare & contrast.

WEB_radar2_201107042331.gif
    Web_radar-6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The old radar is alot more easy on the eyes.the new one is showing a tad more of the lighter rain/drizzle. I dont know why ME bothered to change it,if thats all the difference is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's looking pretty good right now with some more widespread/organised rainfall to judge it by. A big improvement on the old one I think, especially the play/pause/frame by frame ability and being able to see borders underneath rainfall. Still a work in progress I'm sure and I must admit after initial skepticism I like the way it's going! I'll hold back on my criticisms/ideas for a bit longer maybe ;)

165885.png

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Rougies wrote: »
    It's looking pretty good right now with some more widespread/organised rainfall to judge it by. A big improvement on the old one I think, especially the play/pause/frame by frame ability and being able to see borders underneath rainfall. Still a work in progress I'm sure and I must admit after initial skepticism I like the way it's going! I'll hold back on my criticisms/ideas for a bit longer maybe ;)

165885.png

1) increase the size, 2) superimpose on a map 3) add zoom capability. Then we will have a radar to be proud of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I actually have now gotten to prefer the new radar, although I think they could move the timestamp to another place as it's covering a lot of Ulster and Scotland.

When you look at some of the US radar, you wonder how the hell anybody puts up with it. For example, the latest Houston radar, showing lots of short range echoes, which are bugs, dust, etc. Pretty crap, although it is on a higher sensitivity mode.

165887.PNG

• Advertisement

inabina wrote: »
    1) increase the size, 2) superimpose on a map 3) add zoom capability. Then we will have a radar to be proud of!

You forgot the key one. It has to work on mobile phones otherwise it's pointless. For some weird reason ME don't think that we need animation when we are out & about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

If I bring up the new rainfall radar on my PC screen it will display the latest but if I leave it beyond the next few radar updates I can't view the latest unless I close down the browser and go to met.ie again. With the older version all I have to do is a refresh and the latest is displayed. Does anyone else have this problem with the new rainfall radar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

You forgot the key one. It has to work on mobile phones otherwise it's pointless. For some weird reason ME don't think that we need animation when we are out & about.

On my HTC desire here now and the new radar works just fine on it, I'm using the dolphin HD browser if that's any help.

It works fine on iPhone and Android via my site http://www.carlowweather.com/wxradar.php and I have the old images as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The new radar was made what, a week ago? Of course its in it's infancy. There still messing around without. Not talking about this standard your on about.
    1) increase the size 2) superimpose on a map 3) add zoom capability

1) The map is bigger than the old one 2) It's already is superimposed on the map, I can see borders under the rain on it 3) Zoom in on your internet, on IE it's on the bottom right, where it says 100% beside the magnifying glass, increase it.

Sidenote: It works on my Android device aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

John.Icy wrote: »
    The new radar was made what, a week ago? Of course its in it's infancy. There still messing around without. Not talking about this standard your on about.

1) The map is bigger than the old one 2) It's already is superimposed on the map, I can see borders under the rain on it 3) Zoom in on your internet, on IE it's on the bottom right, where it says 100% beside the magnifying glass, increase it.

Sidenote: It works on my Android device aswell.

I think when you compare to www.raintoday.co.uk my points are still valid. The radar can be improved greatly.

I think when you compare to www.raintoday.co.uk my points are still valid. The radar can be improved greatly.

It depends really how you look at it though, certainly an overlay over Google Maps is great and the ability to zoom is also great but the problem is that when you use both features the accuracy isn't there.

Last Winter I used the Raintoday radar to try and track showers to my location and it was pretty off when you zoomed to any great detail.

The map is only as good as the data that is fed to it and I don't think the radar is that accurate to be able to give location and intensity to a small scale. The updated radar may improve that but I guess what I am trying to say is that having a detailed map with large zoom doesn't mean you get more accurate information.

Villain wrote: »
    Last Winter I used the Raintoday radar to try and track showers to my location and it was pretty off when you zoomed to any great detail..

Raintoday UK use Met Eireann's Radar, and whilst they could overlay other radar interpretations into it to show snow, ice ect, over Ireland, the accuracy was still from Met Eireann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We don't have enough radars PERIOD, how many times have I said we need one in Dooncarton ( Belmullet) and one on Mt Gabriel (Schull) to get height and accuracy and adequate Atlantic coverage. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep as someone said earlier I cant use the ME radar as it doesn't even cover NW Donegal. Theres close to torrential rain here at the moment yet its only showing up as blue (0.1-0.5 ml/hr) on the radar and the showers disappear altogether when they get north of me even though theyre just as intense.

Contrast that to raintoday which has us under 3-10 ml/hr with patches of 10-30 ml/hr using the Belfast radar

Advertisement